Martial Arts Magazines?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would the time frame be? Monthly, quarterly, weekly?

We do have the ability to set up an 'opt-in' mailing list here that can be used for it.

Some possible feature ideas:
-seminar list
-Training tip of the XXX
-featured art
-Hot thread of the month summary
-seminar review
-humor
-product reviews

I personally like the idea...the question is, can we put together a staff to manage it, and do it on a regular basis?

Other question would be, accept advertizers, if so how many?
My opinion is allow 1 advertizer to sponsor 1 edition in a non-invasive way.

Something like:
"This edition brought to you by Slapco, make of the big slappy thingy www.somewhere.com"

:asian:

I

IFAJKD

I HAVE TO POST THIS HERE. First this is what I hate and 2nd it fits the good mag stuff.
What is up with the Cynthia Rothrock ad. I am so sick of people cashing in on the 9/11 tradegy. She used to be apple pie and now this. Man what's up with that ? Oh well should sell something. ;)

The "lets get rich from 9/11" push in these mags is enough to keep me from buying another one.

BUT................Erin Vunak-O'Toole has written and article for womans self defense in a special Black Belt for women....very cool. And she has the cover :cool:

K

Kenpo Wolf

,,,I vote monthly during the year and weekly during summer, which is when it seems like more people have the time. But if it has a lot of good articles in it and it's cheap or free, weekly would be fine with me if a high quality can be maintained.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

What would the time frame be? Monthly, quarterly, weekly?

I would have to go for quarterly, more because most of the stuff discussed here, will be bases for the mag. I wont read a mag. that has articles that have been discussed with all the different opinions. By letting it be quarterly you have the chance to make an indepth articles that would be a supplement to MT.

I just want to say that be careful it doesn't become a totaly kempo mag. If there is basis for a kempo mag. let there be a kempo mag. by itself. I not after kempo, it's just that many peolpe on this site are kempo - related, and if ithey can support a mag. I think it's great. But for me to read a mag. I need more things I also can relate to.

Other question would be, accept advertizers, if so how many?
My opinion is allow 1 advertizer to sponsor 1 edition in a non-invasive way.

Something like:
"This edition brought to you by Slapco, make of the big slappy thingy www.somewhere.com"

I'd go for that.

/Yari

ps. If I can help I'd like to.

S

sweeper

Yari has a point, if you have more content than needed you can always make the issue bigger, but if you don't have enough conent you can't release an issue, I would say a quarterly mag and maybe a weekly news letter for things like seminars and other time sensative data.

K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by sweeper

Yari has a point, I would say a quarterly mag and maybe a weekly news letter for things like seminars and other time sensative data.

This combination is an excellet idea.

R

Rob_Broad

I would be willing to put sometime into somethng like a magazine, I fairly computer illerate but I have written a few articles in teh past.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can a few folks put up examples of what they think a good e-zine is? I'd like to get a better feel for what you are looking for in a finished product. :)

:asian:

S

sweeper

it was posted earlyer but I think http://ejmas.com is the best martial arts e-mag. actualy I tihnk their e-mag is better than 95% of the printed MA material out there.