Martial arts fantasy and kids...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Lastly, I would like to add that I don't mean that only certain kids *can* be heros, because anyone can be a hero under the right circumstances. Just, there are people who naturally inclined to be that way. Not everyone has the desire or heart to be a Police Officer, Fireman, Soldier, etc.
Good point.

I think that fiction, as Joseph Campbell said in "The Power of Myth", is essential to a healthy childhood - or adulthood. Some will become inspired, others will just join a MA fad temporarily then go onto the next one.

However, I don't think that only Police Officers, Firemen, Soldiers, etc. are heroes. The woman who raises four law-abiding children of good character alone (husband took off and doesn't pay child support) is a hero too. Not that you wouldn't agree with that, just thought I'd add it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
However, I don't think that only Police Officers, Firemen, Soldiers, etc. are heroes. The woman who raises four law-abiding children of good character alone (husband took off and doesn't pay child support) is a hero too. Not that you wouldn't agree with that, just thought I'd add it.
Oh I certainly agree! Those were just some well know examples I threw out.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was really little, I was a big fan of She-ra. Later, I wanted nothing other to be a Ninja Turtle, next it was X-Men, and then I wished to be Batgirl. I always day-dreamed of being a super hero, but never was able to get involved into martial arts until I was nearly 19 for self defense reasons. But I tell you, when found out that I could finally start learning a martial art, I was soooooooooooooooo excited! A long lived fantasy come true. :)

However, because I was only able to start doing a martial art for self defense reasons, I don't think that I would have enjoyed it at all for a long time if I didn't grow up thinking it was so cool already.

Robyn :asian:

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Movies are movies and martial arts are martial arts. The only poeple I've ever met that couldn't tell the difference were either stupid or had a mental deficiency. As for kids, let them believe and do whatever they want. It's their childhood and I'd be angry if anybody took mine away from me.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
added comments.

Eldrich knight, thank you for agreeing with me, and posting it. I've noticed that for some reason there will be a few people who will reply after me, agree with me, and completly ignore me. Or restate what I said and some how make it argumentitive (not shure how or why though).

Solidman82, I agree with you. The sad thing is, many of the of the other kids at my school do a nose dive into adult hood, in a big way. how? there are far more girls i know at my current school who are pregant or a teenage mommy, then at the other high school i went to (last year). or it could just be that south has alot more whores than bryan, but what ever (i'm getting off topic).

any ways, latter lads and lasses,

John

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simon Curran said:
Fantasy is great, sometimes we all need a break from reality.
And sometimes we need a break from reality :D

Some people can't seem to seperate the two, that is a problem, but they don't see it :D

However, the martial arts are taking a step towards the surreal since the advent of XMA and it's ilk, whose sole purpose is to recreate the unrealistic bs found in a lot of martial arts movies.
No, I don't think this is a problem, generally people doing these things realise that what they are doing is just for show.

There are some hardline traditionalists that take the fantasy literally though, believing in death touches, chi blasts and ancient masters that could kill any modern fighter with a dirty look.

It's the "true believers" that are really scary, the ones that believe they're style is the greatest unstoppable force in the known universe. The ones that take every opportunity to state there rank and every high ranked person they have met, the ones that kiss the belts of any high ranker they meet... providing they are of the "right" style of course.

These are the people giving martial arts a bad name, not the ones having fun doing flips and putting on a impressive show.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
And sometimes we need a break from reality :D

Some people can't seem to seperate the two, that is a problem, but they don't see it :D

No, I don't think this is a problem, generally people doing these things realise that what they are doing is just for show.

There are some hardline traditionalists that take the fantasy literally though, believing in death touches, chi blasts and ancient masters that could kill any modern fighter with a dirty look.

It's the "true believers" that are really scary, the ones that believe they're style is the greatest unstoppable force in the known universe. The ones that take every opportunity to state there rank and every high ranked person they have met, the ones that kiss the belts of any high ranker they meet... providing they are of the "right" style of course.

These are the people giving martial arts a bad name, not the ones having fun doing flips and putting on a impressive show.

I do agree with you to an extent, however I wasn't referring to the practitioners being fooled into believing XMA is real martial arts, I was referring to the unknowing public being duped.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion...

The most difficult part of the martial arts training is getting onto the dojo floor in the first place. I am actually grateful that there are some fantasies that can lead someone to stepping into the dojo in the first place. Once they are there, then I know that I have a reasonable chance of keeping them there, as long as I do my job of giving them good instruction.

Sure, it might seem a bit cruel to bring someone back to reality, but by then, they'll be enjoying the training, and seeing the improvements for themselves. As they grow in age and improve in training, they can come to realize this for themselves.

When it comes to children, it's of even more benefit if you have some kids in a similar age group training awith them. It seems that many kids will feed off each other (in a good way), and that each others' intensity will elevate the others. Sometimes, if you get them in the door, and just do your job, then things can take care of themselves from there.

Now, does this mean that everyone will be this way? Of course not. You will run into an occasional disillusioned kid who will then want to quit, even if your instruction were solidly presented, and that their peers were with them. I've seen this on several occasions, simply give their parents the offer to let them try again in the future, if they want. I'll still try my darndest to keep them interested, but there will come a point, where I cannot afford to focus any more effort on them.

Am I cruel for doing this? Some say that I am, simply because I may inadvertantly shatter some dreams, but the fact remains, that they have to learn these things from someone, and I would much rather they learn it from me, than to be deluded by certain other individuals (cf. Ashida Kim).

Latest Discussions