"Kuh-rotty" is just for kids!"

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Having exposure in both the TMA, and MMA scene I've seen plenty of squabbling between the two. Both sides of the coin have their pros, and cons, that I wont get into since I think we've all had our fill about this topic.
But for me, the two can compliment each other pretty well.
And I also must confess, that I have fun, making fun of the sterotypes. I'm currently thinking about making some videos to poke some fun at them. I'll post them if I ever get the chance.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I took my first promotion test in TKD I was the oldest person testing by about 35 years :lol: All the parents that had come to watch their kids test just looked at me like I was insane. :D I might have been, a bit anyway ;)

I still see some of those parents now, watching me in the advanced class doing drills or hapkido rolls and takedowns with some of their kids, and I know some of them are thinking "If I had started when he started I'd be able to do all that stuff now too". It doesn't matter if it takes 6 years or 10 years to get your black belt or whatever it is you want to achieve, those years are going to go by anyway. I know how difficult it is for working adults with kids to find the time to train, but you have to find the time if its something you want. It was something I wanted, so I went for it. One of my better decisions :)

So, "Kuh-rotty" might be just for kids, but you have to include those of us who are still kids at heart, and plan on staying that way :)

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I
For Kendo, its a combination of hard core Japanese guys that look like Sho Kosugi, middle aged white guys who love swords, and really cute girls of varying ages. I've yet to see a lady in kendo who was not attractive. No, that is not why I train in Kendo.

Daniel

Oh so that's where all the ladies are, apparently I'm in the wrong martial art.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Kuh-rotty is just for kids!" ...Man I hate it when I hear that. But that's how a lot of people react when they find out I'm into martial arts at my age (53). Then again, if you look at how the media portrays the martial arts in the movies, on TV, and in video games, and then watch all the kiddie black belts pouring out of the neighborhood McDojo, I guess you can see where they are coming from. Basically, John Q. Public seems to lump us adult practitioners into two groups: those that never outgrew the kiddie fantasy stage (picture Power Rangers), and those who want to be bad-*** brawlers (think cage fighting).

Even those of us immersed in the martial arts fall into stereotyping each other. I mean what kind of individual (age, build, and attitude) comes to mind if I mention each of the following: TKD, BJJ, Ninjutsu, or Tai Chi???

How about you, what's the stereotype for your art (age, build, and atitude)? And, is there any truth to it?

You hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head.

I call this the "Power Ranger Mentality."

I'm a "kenpo guy" and down here there's a TKD school on every corner so most folks think all "Krotty" is like that.

I don't really try to combat it, I just tell folks if they want to see the difference then come by for a visit.

Latest Discussions