Martial arts creates Violence? Say Yes or No

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know but some think that it creates violence

i mean people want to be violent they go into the martial arts gym with that intent. I don't think a peaceful person would learn martial arts and then become a violent person. if he does then I think something is wrong with his martial arts gym. but maybe there is some factor i'm overlooking idk

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
This sounds like something a 10 year old would say or a politician, someone with a hidden agenda.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course not. People who've never done martial arts a day in their life can be extremely violence

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do You think Martial arts creates Violence?
Martial Arts is the study and application of controlled violence for any number of applications ranging from personal development, exercise, spiritual enlightenment, discipline, socializing, social engagement, historic studies, experimental archeology, and hurting people and breaking their toys.

At a basic level, Martial Arts doesn't "create" violence, but it does recognize that violence is an integral part of the human condition.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it creates it but it makes people better at it
Enter the debate about which of the different martial arts are actually "effective."

Engage-Luc-Picard-1024x682-1-1024x512.png

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No.

Our animalistic natures create violence. Martial arts just teaches us to do it better, but at the same time gives us an outlet to let out our aggression and gives us the discipline to control ourselves.

Martial Arts, like any other weapon, cannot be blamed for the violence in the human nature.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial arts doesn't create violence. I think what you mean to ask is whether it promotes violence. In that case, it does...when appropriate. MMA matches can be violent, and most people would agree that's an appropriate context for it. Defending yourself from a physical attack (physical violence) often requires the use of violence, and most people would agree that's an appropriate use of violence.

It is almost certain there are some truly violent people - people who use violence inappropriately - who are trained martial artists. The martial arts didn't make them that way, so far as anyone can tell.

Latest Discussions