a question on competition definition

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just participated in a local point fighting tournament. Several of my friends were judging/refereeing and thus not able to compete. Afterwards, we talked about having our own private tournaments at regular intervals; ie. Every six months. there's maybe ten of us. We would like to go with hard/ probably not quite full contact. Basically freestyle karate point fighting. Maybe continuous, kinda like that Chuck Norris promotion gig that was going on. Maybe the traditional stop and call point fighting, but with solid contact.
So the question: when does it go from friends training, to a karate tournament, to combat sports in a definitive sense?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i assume you are asking for liability/ insurance reasons?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
and i would guess with 90 % certainty that they will tell you your not covered. but for an extra $XXXXX you will be covered with a 2 million dollar umbrella policy.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
My concern is more that It could be considered "amateur combat sports" and thus subject to state overreach, I mean oversight, as well as licencing as a promoter ,yadda yadda yadda. Or something like an "undergroung fight club" , unlicensed combat sports. Of course, state definitions are incredibly vague. I think it would have to do with the wording, if any, used to describe it.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
My concern is more that It could be considered "amateur combat sports" and thus subject to state overreach, I mean oversight, as well as licencing as a promoter ,yadda yadda yadda. Or something like an "undergroung fight club" , unlicensed combat sports. Of course, state definitions are incredibly vague. I think it would have to do with the wording, if any, used to describe it.

I would think when you start compensating those fighting.

I would be more concerned with liability.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
and i would guess with 90 % certainty that they will tell you your not covered. but for an extra $XXXXX you will be covered with a 2 million dollar umbrella policy.

The org. My son competes in allows sanctioned tournaments under their umbrella policy.

One of the benefits of being a member

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I’m talking about paying the people competing a purse

I was talking about charging a fee to compete, either as a regular membership or mat fee type thing, or competition entry...

Here, doing that introduces different insurance/liability/record keeping rules, not just MA related.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just several years ago we have what we called internal throwing competition similar to tui sao.
First everyone writes and sign with their own hand writing, to accept and wont sue in case of an accident.
Then each one gives the same amont of money to the pot, where half to the winner, 3/10 to the second place and 1/10 to the one that lost in semifinal.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the question: when does it go from friends training, to a karate tournament, to combat sports in a definitive sense?
Whenever you think it does. Because your idea of friends training in comparison to "combat sports" may be different from mine and is guaranteed that some large number of people are going to disagree.

Just define what your goals are and train toward that. If it's having fun and socializing with your friends in the context of martial arts, then gear it around that. If it's old style "kumite" <cough> then gear it to that. If you want UFC 1-ish rules fought with a Karate context, then gear it to that. Just define what you want to do and make sure everyone all agrees.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
everyone writes and sign with their own hand writing, to accept and wont sue in case of an accident.

Won’t hold up in court....you need to speak with an attorney on how to better protect yourself from liability

Latest Discussions