martial arts and religious things

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
The kenpo technique naming just follows the CMA pattern of trying to give name that remind people of a similar motion. In some CMA systems, techniques have descriptive name that help in remembering (or would if you understood). For instance, there is a movement called Bow to Consort Goddess that is a choke, and one called Ask Bridge Toll Collector for Directions that is a complicated joint lock. It has nothing to do with actually believing in anything - one should have no more difficulty doing a choke called Bow to Consort Goddess without believing in said holy figure anymore than a person who would never ask a bridge's toll collector for direction should have a problem doing the joint lock.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The key difference between western and eastern thought is the view of truth. One deals in absolutes as in close and further from the truth; its where we get the term sin. Eastern thought deals in opposites and reverses. It is a big deal and if you care about this stuff it should affect your choices of Martial Arts schools.
sean

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The key difference between western and eastern thought is the view of truth. One deals in absolutes as in close and further from the truth; its where we get the term sin. Eastern thought deals in opposites and reverses. It is a big deal and if you care about this stuff it should affect your choices of Martial Arts schools.
sean

Well said, ToD! I would also say that a lot of instructors in the USA don't understand (or are conscious of) that distinction. They simply don't actively teach Eastern thought in their schools. So, a technique named after Buddha may not after any more significance to the instructor than that's what his/her instructor called it. I'd recommend that if you are looking for a martial arts program that reflects your Christian beliefs, seek out a Christian instructor. PM me, & I'd be happy to help you find one in your area.

Reaction score
are there any martial arts that do not have some sort of religious content in them? i was asking about the name of a kenpo move called bowing to buddah in another thread and someone asked me why i was looking into studying an asian martial art if i was concerned with religious aspects in the martial arts.so this is why im asking these questions.
i have looked into krav maga in my area and checked out a cless that seemed to be more fitness then real self defense.there did ont seem to be much real instruction in the class at all.thats why i started looking elsewhere for self defense.
are there other styles besides krav mage that don't have the religious things in them that are good for self defense?
also,i live in virginia near DC so if anyone knows of something in va that fits what im looking for could you please let me know.
thanks.

maybe you could try muay thai , i wouldnt say theres much "religeon" in it , however some schools may teach ritual dances used before a fight but these are nothing to do with relieon , it is merely paying respect to yout teacher

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;650366 said:
maybe you could try muay thai , i wouldnt say theres much "religeon" in it , however some schools may teach ritual dances used before a fight but these are nothing to do with relieon , it is merely paying respect to yout teacher
Did you just say that with a straight face?
Sean

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
why,does muay thai have religious things in it touch of death?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Religon and martial art today is mostly just a part of the traditions set before.

No one goes to a martial art class to learn or be convert to a religon! Yes many still refer to GOD's and Buddad and so on..

Look at our money "In God we trust" doens't mean if you are not religious you should not use the money.

Sign in Billard hall " In God we trust" ..All others must pay!

Most of us learn martial arts to defend ourselves,learn to fight back if attack, This a place to train, NOT a church. (many people do train in a Chruch and there are some religious groups that teach both.)

Everyone has the right to choose...choose wisely, I like Reese's candy. (NOT a good choice for Diabetics.)

Most religion says to be nice to people...in our martial art class we are nice to people...we give them our fist,front kicks,chokes and we like sharing lots of things..........Aloha

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I train and teach at a dojo that is fairly traditional in its practices and reiho, but we're of many different religions, and most of us don't consider what we do as having religious overtones, nor do we have any religious teaching as a part of our training. Many of the martial arts have some spiritual origin (e.g. shaolin monks, samurai budo) and so it is addressed in that context.

I did once have a Catholic student whose mother objected to kneeling. I told her, "No problem. He doesn't have to do anything he feels uncomfortable with." That ended that objection.

But if drummingman feels uncomfortable with any form of spiritual underpinning, then I'd encourage him to seek a school of self defense, kickboxing, or boxing, rather than a traditional martial "art".