Martial Art Urban Legends...

L

liangzhicheng

As I recall, the way hot coal walking works is that the moisutre around your feet provides a "cushion" (for the lack of a better word) between your feet and the coals since the coals are so hot. I could be very, very wrong, of course ;)

P

pknox

Originally posted by liangzhicheng
As I recall, the way hot coal walking works is that the moisutre around your feet provides a "cushion" (for the lack of a better word) between your feet and the coals since the coals are so hot. I could be very, very wrong, of course ;)

That's what I've heard before as well. That is why you will often see people go quickly, before the moisture is dried up by the flames. Putting some type of insulator, like chicken fat, on the feet would perform the same function.

There was a black belt article a few months ago that debunked some of the common "mystical feats". They handled the bending the knife and/or spear to the throat, the having multiple people push over a person in seiza one, and walking on glass, among others.

C

clapping_tiger

How bout people think that just because you know Martial Arts that fights will go down just like in the movies.

Or just because your in the Martial Arts, if someone you know gets into a fight for any reason, you will jump in and take out the other guy no matter what.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heard two guys talking about martial arts, specifically how a gun would give them an advantage over a martial artist.

Could be a valid point, except I know that one of them didn't carry a gun and the other didn't even own one.

Cthulhu

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you tell the poor guy that breaking bones isn't required?
Nope, for two reasons... 1. I don't think this guy has the fortitude to try something so painful. 2. If he does, I'm gonna wait til he has a cast on to tell him. Should be a good learning experience.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
That's what I've heard before as well. That is why you will often see people go quickly, before the moisture is dried up by the flames. Putting some type of insulator, like chicken fat, on the feet would perform the same function.

There was a black belt article a few months ago that debunked some of the common "mystical feats". They handled the bending the knife and/or spear to the throat, the having multiple people push over a person in seiza one, and walking on glass, among others.

This phenominon is called the Leidenfrost Effect. Its actually a documented physics event. It is the idea (as stated above) that something (ash, moisture, ect.) can cause a temporary insulating barrier against thermal effects. This allows for walking on coals, "dancing" water drops on a hot pan, and slapping molten metal. In the fire walking instance the combination if sweat on the soles of the feet and ash compacted when you stand on it creates a temporary insulating buffer or sheild against heat intense enough of cause burns. The trick is moving fast enough so that the heat doesn't actually permeate the buffer or evaporate the moisture on the foot's sole.

Most of the "amazing" feats are just physics taken to the extreme. Bed of nails tricks are just the idea of weight displacement. More nails means less weight or force per nail. Same idea as breakfalling.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another one that used to go around was that a "kroddy expert" could stick his fingers into your chest and pull out your still-beating heart. One guy at a martial arts store even told me that his sensei in Okinawa cut the skin off his son's fingers from the base of the fingernail to the tip in order to make it easier to do this. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My all-time favorite bit of MA nonsense was something I used to hear all the time back when I was a substitute teacher:
BLOODSPORT WAS A TRUE STORY. :roflmao:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
Another one that used to go around was that a "kroddy expert" could stick his fingers into your chest and pull out your still-beating heart. One guy at a martial arts store even told me that his sensei in Okinawa cut the skin off his son's fingers from the base of the fingernail to the tip in order to make it easier to do this. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My all-time favorite bit of MA nonsense was something I used to hear all the time back when I was a substitute teacher:
BLOODSPORT WAS A TRUE STORY. :roflmao:

I've heard these ones too...I almost forgot! Too funny! :rofl:

P

pknox

Originally posted by OULobo
Bed of nails tricks are just the idea of weight displacement. More nails means less weight or force per nail. Same idea as breakfalling.

Absolutely. The "bed of nails" trick was also covered in the BB article. If someone says they really are doing it through mastery of chi, ask them to try it with only 1 nail. I don't think they'll take you up on your offer!

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by shotmanuk
Martial artists are good street fighters!:D

Hello Paul, long time no type:D
How is every little thing?

--Dave

:asian:

P

pknox

Originally posted by D.Cobb
He's from sunny England!!

--Dave
:)

Wow. I've never seen "England" and "sunny" in the same sentence before, at least not without the word "not" betwixt them. ;) My wife went to Ireland last year, and was surprised that it rained every day for the week and a half she was there. I told her that was nothing, as it has basically rained every day there for the last 1000 years. :D

On the upside, Dave, I must say the chocolate you have over the pond is far superior to what we have here. Somehow the Cadbury people lose something in the translation when they make stuff here in America. When she returned from Ireland, my wife brought me a few cases of the Yorkie biscuits, and Cadbury drinking chocolate. Like liquid gold, I tell ya. Between that and the Guinness, I guess the rain's not so bad, eh?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heard this one recently from a friend.

"Ninjutsu is the deadliest martial arts."

- Ceicei

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
Wow. I've never seen "England" and "sunny" in the same sentence before, at least not without the word "not" betwixt them. ;) My wife went to Ireland last year, and was surprised that it rained every day for the week and a half she was there. I told her that was nothing, as it has basically rained every day there for the last 1000 years. :D

On the upside, Dave, I must say the chocolate you have over the pond is far superior to what we have here. Somehow the Cadbury people lose something in the translation when they make stuff here in America. When she returned from Ireland, my wife brought me a few cases of the Yorkie biscuits, and Cadbury drinking chocolate. Like liquid gold, I tell ya. Between that and the Guinness, I guess the rain's not so bad, eh?

Oy, it's sunny here today!

Ian.

M

Master of Blades

It is actually a very sunny beautiful day. Im pretty impressed :D

Latest Discussions