Martial Art Urban Legends...

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've all heard them...share some tall tales within the martial arts that you've heard...and that countless people have blindly believed...

1. A palm strike to the nose will kill someone by sending bone into the brain. ( :rolleyes: )

2. Registering yourself as a concealed (or any other kind) of weapon upon achieving a perticular rank. ( :rolleyes::rolleyes: )

A

Astra

In kickboxing the bone in your nose is removed to prevent severe possibly fatal injury. (See Jay Bell's first point) :rolleyes:

L

liangzhicheng

You can move someone without even touching them....actually, there is some truth to this. I have this amazing ability after I've eaten a lot of beans :fart:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by liangzhicheng
You can move someone without even touching them....actually, there is some truth to this. I have this amazing ability after I've eaten a lot of beans :fart:

LOL! Me too.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial artists have mystical powers that no one else has.

P

pknox

1. All of today's kung fu styles are actually run by the Triads.
2. All of the Japanese ones are run by by the Yazuka.
3. To get past a 6th dan in Aikido you have to be Japanese (oh, wait, that one might be true ;) )
4. American Kenpo was actually a cult started by Ed Parker to convert people into Mormons (I know a few people who actually believe that one, sadly).
5. It's possible to walk over hot coals, bend knives on your throat, levitate, and become generally invincible simply through focusing your ki.
6. All of the TKD instructors who came over here from Korea are undefeated champions (didn't any of these guys ever fight each other?

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know a friend of a friend who claims to be able to deflect or re-direct punches and strikes without touching the opponent.

C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by Jay Bell

2. Registering yourself as a concealed (or any other kind) of weapon upon achieving a perticular rank. ( :rolleyes::rolleyes: )

A friend of mine brought someone over to my house and he saw I had a Black Belt. He told me he studied TKD and then asked me if I regestered with the state yet. I said yeah I did and I have proof. I then went into my wallet and pulled out my Rank Certification card that we are given. He looked real confused and I then let him off the hook and told him that that is just a Martial Arts Myth.

C

clapping_tiger

You can move someone without even touching them....

Or how about the "no touch" knockout:shrug:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about.... all the really good martial artists have their bones broken over and over again to make the bones harder. I actually heard this out of one of the new students at my school last night in the changing room. It was one of those fart in church moments..... all conversation stopped for a second, everyone tried to ignore the comment and then the room cleared out.

K

KanoLives

How bout people think that just because you know Martial Arts that fights will go down just like in the movies. Or better yet anyone I know that I tell we learn animal styles asks if I learned the Crane Kick from the Karate Kid movie. :rolleyes: Like I would actually get into that stance before a fight.

L

liangzhicheng

asks if I learned the Crane Kick from the Karate Kid movie. Like I would actually get into that stance before a fight.

...Wait a moment...you mean you don't?!?!?! Next you're going to tell me that when there's a fight, there aren't a whole bunch of Asian people rolling these silly little drum thingies standing around watching! :eek:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
How about.... all the really good martial artists have their bones broken over and over again to make the bones harder. I actually heard this out of one of the new students at my school last night in the changing room. It was one of those fart in church moments..... all conversation stopped for a second, everyone tried to ignore the comment and then the room cleared out.
Did you tell the poor guy that breaking bones isn't required?
- Ceicei

K

KanoLives

...Wait a moment...you mean you don't?!?!?! Next you're going to tell me that when there's a fight, there aren't a whole bunch of Asian people rolling these silly little drum thingies standing around watching! :eek:

OK I won't tell you that, because it's actually happened to me. My instructor wouldn't even come help me out as I was getting my head kicked in. He just stood there and played with his little drum. Damn him. :rofl: :rofl:

A

Astra

Originally posted by pknox
5. It's possible to walk over hot coals, [/I]?

Actually, it is. I've seen several (normal, average) people do it with next to no burn wounds. I've also seen people burn their feet so hard they had to go to the hospital. Very odd :eek:

P

pknox

Originally posted by Astra
Actually, it is. I've seen several (normal, average) people do it with next to no burn wounds. I've also seen people burn their feet so hard they had to go to the hospital. Very odd :eek:

True. But do you believe that the people were unburned because they had "focused their chi", or had either learned to walk fast enough so as not to get burnt, or to walk on the spots with the least amount of coals?