Oh the frustration!

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Damn! Dislocated patella and broken bits of bone floating in my knee joint. I fell after a badly thrown and well blocked side kick and heared a pop. Everyone thaught it was just a strained ligament or something rather minor. Went to A&E the next day only to discover the damage was worse than I thaught. I've had the surgery to pin everything back into place and only now are the withdrawal symptoms setting in. I keep waking up in the morning and thniking to myself "ooh!, what day is it, is there training today?....Oh...oh yeah, I forgot about that." My question is; has anyone experienced anything similar? Does anyone know of any training I can do at home with a very imobile, weak and sensetive left knee?

....and I was hoping for some sympathy:rolleyes::boing2:

Thanks in advance.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do what the physical therapists tell you. They know exactly how for you can push it and in what ways. Don't take random suggestions for tha Intrawebs unless you want to go back to the surgeon and hear her say "We're technicians, not magicians."

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sue your teacher....oops no, sorry this is the wrong thread hee hee.

I have been through the same withdrowals in the beginning of the year, when I stayed out 2 months for a surgery to remove 2 pins from my ankle. I didn't miss a class anyway in those 2 months and I can't tell you how much it helped me just watching the classes.

Now I have been having for the past 2 months a shooting pain in my knee everytime I kneel down and move the knee on the floor. Finally I decided to go see a doctor (Friday appointment)...hopefully I won't have to stay out again.

Anyway, good like in your rehab and be patient...

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your injury and about your frustration. I hope you'll find patience and get better soon! ^_^ (Maybe just going to the school to watch the classes could help you?)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tellner gave you the best advice any of us will be able to give you. See a competent physical therapist and follow their instructions to the letter and with great gusto...so long as you don't over do. The sooner you get started on the rehab the better your long term prognosis will be. Let it sit immobile too long and the scar tissue will build up and you'll play hell getting full range of motion again. See that therapist, follow their orders, prepare for alot of pain that will be worth it in the long run and keep us posted.

As for your MA withdrawals my suggestion is to go to the dojo, watch from the gallery and take notes. Often times you can pick up on movements from watching from a distance that you can't really get while doing them or standing close by. Good luck.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your injury and about your frustration. I hope you'll find patience and get better soon! ^_^ (Maybe just going to the school to watch the classes could help you?)

You might be surprised at how much you learn by watching a class or two!

Take it easy, and I hope you have a full, speedy recovery.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your injury. We all have been there at least once. Take it easy. hope you get better soon.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your injury.

Here's to a speedy recovery for you!!! Take it easy mate...

:)

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
My only answer would be to follow what your Doctor tells you and only to that extent my friend. I didn't follow my Doctors orders and my left knee while ok, can't take a pounding and it's due to my not following my Doctors instructions. So learn from me and if there is one thing I can pass on, is don't press it before it's ready and he/she says so.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
See what you can do while standing on your right leg. I know it's really good to be ambidextrous but you might as well train what you can even if it's just keeping one knee up in the air to practice your balance. Build up your speed using a snare drum, you don't need knees for that. Dumbells while sitting should be okay for you too. See how many different kinds of chin-ups you can do. Put your knowledge and theories down on paper when you really have the urge to train but can't. Study your manuals if you have them, read up on other styles or read deeper into your own. Above all it's better to be safe than sorry so definitely follow doctor's suggestions. Maybe ice it with some frozen vegetables before bed or when you get up but ask your doctor first if this is okay. I hope you recover soon and can resume doing what you love. Good Luck!

Latest Discussions