Mandarin Chinese Martial Arts Titles

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The discussion of titles came up in another thread, so here is what I know of the proper use and application of Chinese titles:

In Pinyin, they go like this -

Shifu = teacher
Shimu = teacher's wife
Shizhang = teacher's husband
Shixiong = elder male student of same teacher
Shijie = elder female student of same teacher
Shidi = younger male student/classmate of same teacher
Shimei = younger female student/classmate of same teacher

If I study under Shifu, I am Shidi to my seniors (who are Shixiong and Shijie to me) and Shixiong to my juniors (who are Shidi and Shimei to me).

If I train with/under one of my Shixiong/Shijie, then they remain Shixiong/Shijie to me, but are Shifu to their own students.

The problem I am running into, and one I need to research, is what my Shixiong's/Shijie's students, with and under whom I also train, are supposed to call me... :confused:

I'll post as soon as I get it figured out.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Furhgedabouditt.....

Purely academic and rhetorical inquiry. It will not change in the least how I have folks refer to me... Little Fatty is just fine. I just have to figure out how to say it in Mandarin!

Little Fatty
Gambarimasu.

J

Jill666

Shimei sounds very pretty. I like it.

Better than what my classamtes usually call me. :boing2:

OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
Shimei sounds very pretty. I like it.

Better than what my classamtes usually call me. :boing2:

I hope I don't sound weird by saying this, but there is something about both Japanese and Chinese when it is spoken by a woman with a beautiful voice... Neither language sounds special when spoken by a man, but when a woman speaks them, they take on a special sound.

The Beijing dialect of Mandarin adds interesting variations to "regular" Mandarin, too.

M

MinnieMin

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
The discussion of titles came up in another thread, so here is what I know of the proper use and application of Chinese titles:

Shifu = teacher
Shimu = teacher's wife

If I study under Shifu, I am Shidi to my seniors (who are Shixiong and Shijie to me) and Shixiong to my juniors (who are Shidi and Shimei to me).

If I train with/under one of my Shixiong/Shijie, then they remain Shixiong/Shijie to me, but are Shifu to their own students.

Gambarimasu.
Your Shixiong's students should call you shi shu and your shijie's students should call you shijiu. I"m just guessing.
I have heard people using Sifu instead of Shifu. oh gosh,it hurts my ears.

M

MinnieMin

Originally posted by arnisador
Does it mean something else, or just nothing at all?

It's same meaning but with a wrong pronunciation, (wrong Pin Yin) and the sound is just not quite pleasing to me. (there is nothing wrong about it, just me :) )
Jackie Chan calls Sifu and Jet Li calls Shifu - that's how I pronounce the word.

Min :asian:

OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Min -

Is there any way you could provide me with the characters? I am big on at least making an effort at really knowing what I'm talking about, especially in regards to languages I'm not fluent in.

If I know what characters I am looking for, I can research them on www.zhongwen.com and be able to read them in their correct form, rather than just Pinyin.

Thanks for the info!

Gambarimasu.

M

MinnieMin

Here you go. Please see attached GIF file.

Attachments

• $martialtalk.gif
    $martialtalk.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 587
OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, so shishu is what my shixiong's students call me, and shijie's students call me shijiu.

So what do their students call a female senior with the same teacher as their teacher?

I'm getting a headache... :rolleyes:

Gambarimasu.

M

MinnieMin

Okay, so shishu is what my shixiong's students call me, and shijie's students call me shijiu.

So what do their students call a female senior with the same teacher as their teacher?

Gambarimasu.

Let me guess, male senior should call Shi Yie, (yie, grandfather) if it's female senior, I guess it should be Shi Nai (nai, grandmother) but I had never heard such call. LOL

:boing2:

Min

M

MinnieMin

Gambarimasu.

Sorry, got you headache, but that's how Chinese people call their relatives. :D
The titles that we heard often are the lists you had at your first post, and plus Shi shu. That'll do.

Min :asian:

Naomi Eulloque

White Belt
Reaction score

Shifu = teacher
Shimu = teacher's wife

The problem I am running into, and one I need to research, is what my Shixiong's/Shijie's students, with and under whom I also train, are supposed to call me... :confused:

I'll post as soon as I get it figured out.

Gambarimasu.
Hi, is there a way to call "same martial brother" ??

Latest Discussions