Making martial art specific equipment.

Soldier

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am wondering something. For years I have tried to invent equipment specific to martial arts training. I finally got enough guts to do it. Even spend money for an engineer to do the design. I don't want to do a patent.
Does anyone know what to do next? Like find factories in China and stuff?

Thanks a million.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what your next step would be at this point, but why don't you want a patent on it? You're going to do all the work and then someone else will be cash out on it. If your idea is good enough to produce a product, you should protect your idea.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There is a reason for Patents. Don't be a fool and not get one. All your effords will be wasted. The first person to get a patents will have all the rights and money for it.

There was a bread company here in Kona, Hawaii. They had the name "Mother's" bread. No patent for the name. An East coast company also had the name,before 50's. Sue the Kona bread company because they had the rights to it. Kona bread company started in 1929,and never file to claim it. If they did that name could have been worth ton's of money today, if they had own it and sold it.

Laws are not fare but we need them...................Aloha

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Soldier said:
Hi Guys,
I am wondering something. For years I have tried to invent equipment specific to martial arts training. I finally got enough guts to do it. Even spend money for an engineer to do the design. I don't want to do a patent.

Thanks a million.

Soldier Mexico would be the place to have it made and there are about 10 factories that do it already down ther.
Master Stoker

OP
S

Soldier

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Soldier Mexico would be the place to have it made and there are about 10 factories that do it already down ther.
Master Stoker
Thank you,
Mexico, really?
Do you have any contacts?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see people going into business with their own (safety) sticks all the time. It can be done!

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Soldier said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks a million.
Great that you're gonna produce this new product! I'd say take some legal advice and - speak to your lawyer about patent - getting a patent is a MUST. It may not seem important but failing to do this could bankrupt you before you've even started to turn a profit.

Take advice wherever you can get it - put together a business plan, there's loads of information on the net and go speak to your bank manager about a loan - production usually costs BIG no matter what you're making.

Sure keeping costs down is good advice but rather than going outside the US [I'm guessing that's where you reside] why not research local production, that way the jobs will be staying within your area and not disappearing to the far east. There may well be business incentives, tax breaks etc. in your local area to get you set up there and get the jobs to the folk there who have the skills. Your bank manager / business advisor will know better.

Above all, good luck my friend - remember economies depend upon entrepreneurs!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soldier said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks a million.

What type of training equipment were you looking to create?

I do agree with the others though...if you're going to go through the trouble of making things that you're going to be calling your own, why not also take the time to protect what is yours?

Mike

OP
S

Soldier

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Training equipment.
Allot of ideas, little money.
Don't nessasary know whom to turn.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go to a bookstore and check out the stuff published by NOLO PRESS. They have a lot of publications dealing with legal advice, and business advice. You could probably get some guidance there. Like the others have said, get your ideas protected. Get a good business/intellectual property/patent attorney to help you. In the long run, you will not regret it.

Latest Discussions