Shin strikes?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, After reading shin pain, don't you think this should be a major tarket area to learn?

How is it taught to you to kick to the shins?

Wearing shoes is best for this strike. Lift leg straight up, crock heels toward center area of you body,than kick the shins,can also scrape it,leaning a little to the back when striking/kicking. This is the way I had learned it.

Very hard to block...create great pains....you can be just standing there and do this hit..........................this may be a good first strike.....................Aloha

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, After reading shin pain, don't you think this should be a major tarket area to learn?

Wearing shoes is best for this strike. Lift leg straight up, crock heels toward center area of you body,than kick the shins,can also scrape it,leaning a little to the back when striking/kicking. This is the way I had learned it.

Very hard to block...create great pains....you can be just standing there and do this hit..........................this may be a good first strike.....................Aloha
we kick down sinking down the weight with a hip movement to kill the shin and cause major pain
or at the side of the shin to dislocate the knee
there are other kicks that can target the knee or shin as well..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:

Absolutely! While it probably won't be a fight stopper, it will serve as a distraction to set up other moves.

This can be done from a few different ways.

1) an oblique kick

2) a front kick

3) a combined hit and scrape.

Mike

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We train the oblique kick as a great way to bridge the gap. Do it right, and it sends such a shock thru the system that your opponent won't even notice the fist coming at his nose.

Of course there is a counter which is just as, if not more, painful.

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
The strike was extremly painful put I didn't skip a beat and went right on fighting. When the adrenalin is going your opponent might not notice a shin strike. Of course this is true of many strikes. A shin strike would be most effective against a weak willed opponent.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
try this scenario:
when you are on guard open up the front foot (pointing outwards), then bring the knee of the back leg almost to your stomach, and shoot down with ur foot (pointing outwards too) while sinking your weight (bend the other supporting knee). try this on someone's shin
let me know if you get sued! haha
also, you might wanna hold on to the opponent's neck or arms or shoulder or something like that. i love shin kicks!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
u may attach an iron to your foot as well
everything is fair game and street legal!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:

I love shin kicks. My shin to your ribs or sciatic nerve. Great feeling!!
As to being kicked in the shin, if you have tempered the legs properly kicks or stomps to the shin won't cause much pain or damage. In muay thai because of the shin kicks and leg checks (blocking roundhouse kicks with the shin) the shin is tempered and it doesn't hurt. In our wing chun classes as well as the kali classes we do repeated kicks to the shins to temper them against just what you are talking about.

Danny

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shin kicks are part of our basic self defense.

With or without shoes, one can front jab kick for the pain. One can also side kick and then grind down to the arch and stomp the arch.

I heel check kick can also be good here.

If the person lifts their leg a heel kick is good to catch their movement if ti starts out, but the others will work as well.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being a taekwondoist, I've been hit in the shins many times. Sometimes, I got hit so hard I thought I cracked or fractured a bone it hurt so bad! I never wore shin guards through all that though because I don't like them personally. I find them constraining. I considered wearing them despite that though after the many softball sized bruises I got. I think shin strikes would and do work well in a fight. Almost anything does if you hit hard and fast enough; they are gonna feel it. Take out their legs and it's harder to fight.

Becky

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Round house kicks? Do you perfer to hit with the shins more than the in-steps of the foot? Like they do in kick boxing?

What do most of you feel is the best part of the leg to strike with? .......Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Round house kicks? Do you perfer to hit with the shins more than the in-steps of the foot? Like they do in kick boxing?

What do most of you feel is the best part of the leg to strike with? .......Aloha

I tend to go more with the shin, although I've thrown RH kicks with the instep.

Mike

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

I prefer throwing round house with the shin because I tend to fight at close range. But I don't mind throwing them using the instep or the ball of the foot. Just depends on what the target is and how far away they are at the time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
We use knife-edge side kicks to the shin.. using the 'knife edge of your foot.. hurts like crazy and since it's a downward strike has alot of power..

Thats also a great stop-hit for a front kick.