Made some chishi this evening

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since I have been training in traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu a few days a week for the last month, I decided to build some beginner chishi.

For those who aren't sure what a chishi is, it's a weighted stick used for strengthening exercises (and other drills, I presume) in okinawan arts. It helps build grip strength as well as other benefits.

Here are a few pictures, if you were interested...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OMG I want some of those! I love it!!!

I'm going to ask you for more details in a few weeks. Right now I have a bit too much on my mind :lol:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I have been training in traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu a few days a week for the last month, I decided to build some beginner chishi.

For those who aren't sure what a chishi is, it's a weighted stick used for strengthening exercises (and other drills, I presume) in okinawan arts. It helps build grip strength as well as other benefits.

Very nice, over time you will like the feel you get from daily use.

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Clever design.

There was me, imagining that the photo would show a stick with a block of concrete on the end! Amazing how 'obvious' a thing can seem once someone else points it out!

All the Best,
William

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am rather excited about using them...I almost stayed up last night to get a work out in, but my wife had other plans......and we had to get up early.

I'm also thinking about selling kits with directions or selling them outright. With the weight, the shipping would probably be a bear, however.

I reckon MT'ers would probably get an "at-cost + shipping" price were I to do that though.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You should elaborate on the other benefits, so as to help gain a more focused interest in readers of this thread. The Chishi hit areas that conventional weights don't, which directly effect "karate muscle's" in a very positive way.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Neat. What style did you train in before? Also do you know what lineage the Goju-ryu is through?

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should elaborate on the other benefits, so as to help gain a more focused interest in readers of this thread. The Chishi hit areas that conventional weights don't, which directly effect "karate muscle's" in a very positive way.

Since I am a novice in their use, I can only state what I have experienced thus far (after a single use...)

In my initial session today, I just tried some basic movements - moving the hands from the chamber to extension as smoothly as possible; extension and turn 90 degrees left and right, forward and back.

Honestly, this time I was really just trying them out. One of the things that I noticed is that 1) my right arm is clearly stronger than my left; 2) as simple as the movement seems like it should be (especially with the small amount of weight on the end), after a few minutes I found it rather taxing...fortunately for my hands, I had to stop for lunch at the wife's bidding!

In future posts, I'll document where my experience leads me... I'll probably start another thread for that discussion. If anyone has some great exercises to share (or a link to a thread that already discusses it) I'd love to get some learnin' on best practices.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Check out toward the end of this awesome video, and you will see Shinjo Masanobu Sensei demonstrating with some Strength implements.
Look at his upper body development and you will get an idea of their usefulness. RIP Shinjo Sensei. :asian:

Last edited by a moderator:

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know you were interested in this kind of training, AC. We should have talked about this last weekend.

This is a nice clip of chi-ishi training.

This book is an absolutely fantastic read for anyone interested in the history of Okinawan karate and, specifically, the art of hojo undo. I enjoyed it immensely.

For westerners, ShovelGlove is a concept that can be adapted for martial training in the same spirit as Hojo Undo.

Joel

Latest Discussions