Keeping a wavemaster (or similar bag) outside

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically what the title says-anyone have any ideas on if a wavemaster could be kept outside? I've been wanting to get one for a while but my apartment does not have enough space for it-the backyard, however, does. My plan is to cover it with a tarp in the rain/snow, but not sure what type of damage would be done to it by the elements. Also any idea if filling a base with water would be an issue? I can fill it with sand if I need to, but I'd prefer water.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Basically what the title says-anyone have any ideas on if a wavemaster could be kept outside? I've been wanting to get one for a while but my apartment does not have enough space for it-the backyard, however, does. My plan is to cover it with a tarp in the rain/snow, but not sure what type of damage would be done to it by the elements. Also any idea if filling a base with water would be an issue? I can fill it with sand if I need to, but I'd prefer water.

I don't see why it couldn't.

D

Deleted member 39746

DONT ITS HELL.

Now for a more useful reply, the tarp does work decently, just make sure to dry it out and the like if it does rain, my punching bag rotted and it was kept outside 24/7 since being hung up. Granted i dont think it ever really dried properly if it rained several days in a row nor was brough in to dry etc. also make sure insects don't nest in it.

Specially mine was wrapped in plastic, and i never took it off to use it, so i was basally hitting a shrink wrapped heavy bag.

Water would be fine, just top it off, at least you can drain it easier than sand if you want to move it, so its a semi permanent weight.

Edit: this wasn't a wavemaster, just one on chains, no idea for how wave master does its things, i cant afford one. It was a everlast, i dont know the name of. (ironic)

Also, maybe take it in if its winter, cant you just take the bag part off the base?

Last edited by a moderator:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
DONT ITS HELL.

Now for a more useful reply, the tarp does work decently, just make sure to dry it out and the like if it does rain, my punching bag rotted and it was kept outside 24/7 since being hung up. Granted i dont think it ever really dried properly if it rained several days in a row nor was brough in to dry etc. also make sure insects don't nest in it.

Specially mine was wrapped in plastic, and i never took it off to use it, so i was basally hitting a shrink wrapped heavy bag.

Water would be fine, just top it off, at least you can drain it easier than sand if you want to move it, so its a semi permanent weight.

You're not at all talking about the product he's asking about.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My two concerns are i dont know how durable the bags are in rain, and with the water base, if theres a risk of the water freezing/unfreezing/expanding.

I think the bags themselves would be fine, especially with a tarp. They take a lot of sweat already anyway, and I think the vinyl covering is similar to a tarp anyway. I believe the only way water is getting in is from the bottom, which isn't as likely with rain.

As to the problem with ice, I'm not 100% sure. Ice expands in the cold, but air retracts. I think if there's enough space left it will be fine. If you want to fill it all the way, sand is probably better.

Actually sand is probably better anyway, because it won't be as cold in the colder days.

D

Deleted member 39746

You're not at all talking about the product he's asking about.

See the edit, but punching are usually made out of 5 materials and usually stuffed with 3 or so. So there is a chance i got one with the same cover and/or stuffing. And as i HAVE kept out outside, its better than nothing.

Also i think mine lasted about a year before the straps rotted from continuous use and constant exposure to the weather. If i recall right anyway. I think the wave master would last longer than that due to the straps not being there.

edit, numbers aren't exact just a estimate. Also, i mean companies usually use one of 5 materials to make the cover, and stuff it with one of 3 materials etc (just covering the bases)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
See the edit, but punching are usually made out of 5 materials and usually stuffed with 3 or so. So there is a chance i got one with the same cover and/or stuffing. And as i HAVE kept out outside, its better than nothing.

Also i think mine lasted about a year before the straps rotted from continuous use and constant exposure to the weather. If i recall right anyway. I think the wave master would last longer than that due to the straps not being there.

edit, numbers aren't exact just a estimate. Also, i mean companies usually use one of 5 materials to make the cover, and stuff it with one of 3 materials etc (just covering the bases)

Well, for one, you keep talking about straps. Which means you're not talking about a standing bag at all. There are a lot of differences between a heavy bag and a standing bag. Standing bags are usually more rigidly constructed, and part of that is better weatherproofing. Most heavy bags tend to be made of more breathable materials than a Century Wavemaster.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any idea what the filling is inside a wavemaster?

I'm aware it's different (;)) but I had a heavy bag outside for nearly 3 years and nothing externally degraded - the straps were fine, the seams were fine, the zip was fine, the vinyl was fine. This was left hung out all the time and never covered with anything.

What made me get rid of it was the growth of moss, lichen and fungi that started inside in the wadding and started spreading out...

I think it was partly that that made it get progressively harder and heavier - it felt like it was completely filled with sand eventually.

I think a wavemaster would likely be fine if looked after a bit better - a breathable cover would be a much better idea than a standard plastic tarp for a start, and if you use water in the base then drain it off if it looks like freezing temps are coming - I'm pretty sure it'd burst if it was brimmed and it froze (or add antifreeze).

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any idea what the filling is inside a wavemaster?

I'm aware it's different (;)) but I had a heavy bag outside for nearly 3 years and nothing externally degraded - the straps were fine, the seams were fine, the zip was fine, the vinyl was fine. This was left hung out all the time and never covered with anything.

What made me get rid of it was the growth of moss, lichen and fungi that started inside in the wadding and started spreading out...

I think it was partly that that made it get progressively harder and heavier - it felt like it was completely filled with sand eventually.

I think a wavemaster would likely be fine if looked after a bit better - a breathable cover would be a much better idea than a standard plastic tarp for a start, and if you use water in the base then drain it off if it looks like freezing temps are coming - I'm pretty sure it'd burst if it was brimmed and it froze (or add antifreeze).

Antifreeze is a good idea.

I think that a cover that lets water in is a bad idea, compared to something that mostly keeps the water out.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't you just keep it inside (lean it against a wall or something) when your not using it then just take it outside when you want to use it
Im in a basement apartment, so that would require dragging it up a bunch of steps each time. I could do that, but it would take into the time i actually have to use it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im in a basement apartment, so that would require dragging it up a bunch of steps each time. I could do that, but it would take into the time i actually have to use it.
Extra strength and conditioning. It's a win-win lol

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Antifreeze is a good idea.

I think that a cover that lets water in is a bad idea, compared to something that mostly keeps the water out.

Breathable doesn't mean water permeable. Think goretex. Better waterproof coats breathe to reduce sweating, as do the better car covers.

An impermeable membrane, like a tarp, will only serve to cause condensation and make a worse environment than no cover at all.

Someone I know nearly lost a very expensive telescope mount to corrosion within a couple of months because they left it out covered with a normal tarp - it took a lot of work to restore it and after that they got a decent car cover and it's since been perfect for the last few years.

An alternative would be something like a plastic dustbin (trash can?) with a support so that it deflects the weather but allows good air circulation and changeover.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My two concerns are i dont know how durable the bags are in rain, and with the water base, if theres a risk of the water freezing/unfreezing/expanding.
Frozen water expands. Frozen plastic does not under most circumstances. I would check what type of plastic the base is made out of and see if it is compatible with RV antifreeze (the pink stuff). We used it for protecting our cabin cruiser water system during the winter months. It only required a simple flush with potable water each year and was good to go.
Many of today's automobile radiators are plastic as well. Modern antifreeze is still green but I don't think it is ethylene glycol anymore so it may also work. I do think it would be more likely to stain vs. the RV type if you knocked the bag over though.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Living in the Northeast, my advice would be fill the base with sand, and take the punching bag part off when not in use. Store that part inside.

Ice expands and will probably crack it. If you use something like antifreeze, it’ll probably be corrosive and ruin it somehow; warping it, eating a hole in it, etc.

Filling it with sand will make it a pain when you move. My BOB XL is filled with pea gravel and I’m most likely moving at the end of next month. My plan is simple and hopefully will work - use a shop vac to suck it out. I’ll let you know how that goes.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you use something like antifreeze, it’ll probably be corrosive and ruin it somehow; warping it, eating a hole in it, etc.

Depends on what plastic the base is made from. Not sure on the worldwide regulations but anything sold here has to have the type indicated either in words, acronym or a number in the recycling symbol.

Once you know that, it's a very simple matter to find a perfectly compatible compound. Which honestly is likely to be any of them.

You buy antifreeze in plastic bottles and they don't split.

My 47 year old land rover has plastic and rubber parts in the cooling system, as well as iron, copper and aluminium and that's not been affected either.

Antifreeze is specifically formulated to not be reactive to these sort of components.

Far far more likely to cause any damage is UV exposure.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Living in the Northeast, my advice would be fill the base with sand, and take the punching bag part off when not in use. Store that part inside.

Ice expands and will probably crack it. If you use something like antifreeze, it’ll probably be corrosive and ruin it somehow; warping it, eating a hole in it, etc.

Filling it with sand will make it a pain when you move. My BOB XL is filled with pea gravel and I’m most likely moving at the end of next month. My plan is simple and hopefully will work - use a shop vac to suck it out. I’ll let you know how that goes.
You can't just lay the base over and spill out the counter-balance material?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on what plastic the base is made from. Not sure on the worldwide regulations but anything sold here has to have the type indicated either in words, acronym or a number in the recycling symbol.

Once you know that, it's a very simple matter to find a perfectly compatible compound. Which honestly is likely to be any of them.

You buy antifreeze in plastic bottles and they don't split.

My 47 year old land rover has plastic and rubber parts in the cooling system, as well as iron, copper and aluminium and that's not been affected either.

Antifreeze is specifically formulated to not be reactive to these sort of components.

Far far more likely to cause any damage is UV exposure.
Good point. Sun may reek havoc on the bag's skin or the base. Also, if like mine, there is a foam core around the tube that runs up from the base. If it gets as hot there as it does where we live I can see that foam core shrinking from the heat.
Starting to make a traditional bag suspended from a chain on it's own base sound better. Sounds like space is an issue though.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good point. Sun may reek havoc on the bag's skin or the base. Also, if like mine, there is a foam core around the tube that runs up from the base. If it gets as hot there as it does where we live I can see that foam core shrinking from the heat.
Starting to make a traditional bag suspended from a chain on it's own base sound better. Sounds like space is an issue though.

Unless you break the base, there's no way the foam or the skin should come in contact with the weight material.

Latest Discussions