Low Carb Craze

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
McDonald's gets low-carb Coke

No. 1 fast-food chain to offer new C2 cola in a limited number of its restaurants.
June 11, 2004: 10:41 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - McDonald's Corp., the No .1 fast-food chain that's been on a mission to its revamp its image, said it will offer Coca-Cola's new low-carb "C2" cola in a limited number of its restaurants.

Oak Brook- Ill.-based McDonald's (MCD: Research, Estimates), announced late Thursday that the company is sampling C2 in about 27 restaurants in five markets, including Atlanta, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Orlando.

"We're responding again to what our consumers are telling us they want," Don Knauss, McDonald's chief operating officer of its North America division, said in a statement.

The Rest of the article

I'm gonna hoard my carbs cuz before you know it.. they'll be GONE~!! *twitches*

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
McDonald's gets low-carb Coke

No. 1 fast-food chain to offer new C2 cola in a limited number of its restaurants.
June 11, 2004: 10:41 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - McDonald's Corp., the No .1 fast-food chain that's been on a mission to its revamp its image, said it will offer Coca-Cola's new low-carb "C2" cola in a limited number of its restaurants.

Oak Brook- Ill.-based McDonald's (MCD: Research, Estimates), announced late Thursday that the company is sampling C2 in about 27 restaurants in five markets, including Atlanta, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Orlando.

"We're responding again to what our consumers are telling us they want," Don Knauss, McDonald's chief operating officer of its North America division, said in a statement.

The Rest of the article

I'm gonna hoard my carbs cuz before you know it.. they'll be GONE~!! *twitches*
I know that there is a huge Carb bad push for Atkins styles of diets in the States. It reminds me of the Nautilus and Bow Flex promotional push just with food.

I just wonder how popular it is in Euro/other countries.
Just seems that if you are replacing a high carb intake with veggie sources (which statistically we don't eat enough of) you are going in the right direction -as long as your not gorging on the stuff.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low carbs work but I have to eat a little more before exercise. Re: coke, I thought that was called D-I-E-T. Anyway, that stuff is bad for you. Read Shaolin Wolf's thread on that. I still believe it can clean stuff.

On the other hand, all the low "carb" food coming out, is not necessarily good for you. Read the labels. Low carb, additives, and high FAT as in the Atkins candy bars. Bad fats = high cholesterol. South Beach advocates olive oil in moderation which is a good fat and helps arteries clean out. But it is still a fat, 120 cal. per tablespoon. That's why Atkins people who overeat fat, bacon and high fat steak aren't losing and are getting into the heart attack/stroke range thinking they are on a healthy diet. There was a recent law suit in the news about that.

You can't possibly eat too many veggies. After eating what South Beach advocates each day, you have quite had the quota on salad and veggies. But it is a new kind of energy, really feel healthy.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to wonder just how many variations you can do on 1 product.

We have Coke
Original Coke
New Formula Coke
Diet Coke
Coke Lite
Diet Lemon Coke
Diet Lime Coke
Cherry Coke

and now, new Low Carb Coke.

Y'know what? Screw em, I'm gonna go buy me some Jolt Cola.
Twice the Caffine, Twice the Sugar.

Then, I'm gonna put an extra 30 minutes in in my workout today, and go eat a normal, balanced diet of healthy, natural foods.

(Homegrown Tomatoe, letuce salad and homemade chicken soup) :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know, I agree...I was taught by a nutritionist who kind of bucked the system on the whole food pyramid thing that there is a difference between "leaded" carbs and "clean" carbs - her meaning being that carbohydrate foods containing fiber...we all those whole grains...are fine, just don't mix your starches with your animal-based proteins. So, you can have vegetables with anything, meat or starch, but don't have meat with bread, pasta, (whole-grain brown rice or wild rice is okay because it's actually much higher in protein) potatos.

And Tigerwoman, you're absolutely right - take out the carbs and they add fat and salt. Take out the fat, they add carbs and salt. Take out the salt and they add fat and carbs...anyone noticing a pattern?

And...kill the soda...for women especially, carbonated beverages leech calcium right out of your bones.

I think if you eat 90% of your foods that have no label on them (whole foods, not canned or processed), drink filtered water and watch your sugar intake and your electrolytes you'll probably do just fine.

Just my little .02.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I have to wonder just how many variations you can do on 1 product.

We have Coke
Original Coke
New Formula Coke
Diet Coke
Coke Lite
Diet Lemon Coke
Diet Lime Coke
Cherry Coke

and now, new Low Carb Coke.

Y'know what? Screw em, I'm gonna go buy me some Jolt Cola.
Twice the Caffine, Twice the Sugar.

Then, I'm gonna put an extra 30 minutes in in my workout today, and go eat a normal, balanced diet of healthy, natural foods.

(Homegrown Tomatoe, letuce salad and homemade chicken soup) :D

You fergot Vanilla Coke, and Diet Vanilla Coke.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
And...kill the soda...for women especially, carbonated beverages leech calcium right out of your bones.

Actually, isnt that the Carmel Coloring they use in most soft drinks that does that, not the Carbonation? Beer is carbonated, and I have never heard that it depletes calcium.

If it did, Id have no bones left!

LOL!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Actually, isnt that the Carmel Coloring they use in most soft drinks that does that, not the Carbonation? Beer is carbonated, and I have never heard that it depletes calcium.

If it did, Id have no bones left!

LOL!
:roflmao:
oh hell, who cares?? :cheers:

S

Stick Dummy

I tried to get Jason on the kenpo diet, Octopus & Wassabe but he wasn't biting............ :uhyeah:

Oh, thats what a diet is isn't it??????????/

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RCastillo said:
Works for me. I wanna get ripped like you. You're my hero! :uhyeah:

I'm nobody's hero. The only reason I looked ripped is because I can't gain any weight. No matter what/how much I eat I'm not gaining any. Each time I use the impedance meter I lose more BF%. :idunno:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stick Dummy said:
I tried to get Jason on the kenpo diet, Octopus & Wassabe but he wasn't biting............ :uhyeah:

No way, I still won't eat that stuff.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Diet schmiet...

1 word folks...

LYPOSUCTION
:partyon:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Diet schmiet...

1 word folks...

LYPOSUCTION
:partyon:

One word OUCH! Have you ever seen them do liposuction on TV makeovers? Reallly GROSS, they just take this wand thing, push it all around like they are hoeing a garden. Rather eat salads and veggies for a month. Rather workout for 3 hrs. a day too.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought Diet Coke WAS "low carb".

What gives with that?

Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to simply market what they have with "Carbs. Never had 'em. Never will."

Regards,

Steve

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
I thought Diet Coke WAS "low carb".

What gives with that?

Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to simply market what they have with "Carbs. Never had 'em. Never will."

Regards,

Steve

Cheaper? Yeah. More Profitable? People are STUPID with a capital Stoop!

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think that the low carb craze is bull.

Carbs are essential to may of your bodies functions. If you want to lose weight, eat healthy, eat less (smaller portions than you usually do), keep a regular diet (meaning don't change your eating habits to drastically), and EXERCIZE. To many people are lazy and expect the pounds to come off without lifting a finger.

Its all crap if you ask me. (I know about the atkins crap, I work at Subway)

Latest Discussions