(Looking for) self training tips,

J

J-kid

I need some ideas when it comes to self training. My problem is i dont have a training partner or punching bag etc at home. Just have a few wts. I need some ideas i have a good size front yard , Anyone know anything you can do on your own to inprove your fighting tech. or stam. str. I am trying to put together a good program for me to work with in my front yard , Shadow boxing gets old anything else i know some of you have dojos and have many ideas please post them. Your Friend Judo-kid.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First, I suggest wind sprints. Mark 3 distances, go start to point 1, point 1 to start, start to point 2 etc. Once you get to the furthest distance, go back down 3,2,1.

Second, running or jogging. One way to build up endurance is to do interval training. Warm-up, Run for 1 minute then walk for 30 seconds, run for 1 minute, etc. Do this for 20 minutes. When this seems easy up the running to 1:30 but keep the walking at 30. Do this until you can run the whole 20 minutes and then increase the time 30-60 minutes. You can also do this with distances if you don't have a stopwatch or want to watch the clock so much.

Also use those weights: figure out the muscle groups you want to improve or will help your techniques. Also remember you have fast twitch and slow twitch muscles and do things to develop both. A basic weight lifting book at the library will help you out with that.

Finally, if you know any forms/kata/hyung. Do those, a lot.
:asian:

OP
T

tmanifold

If you are in to Judo's standup techniques nail a inner tube to a post and practice enterings, pivots, Kazushi etc.

Tony

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Speed bags are a favorite of mine :) I like the coordination it gives you. I am working on remounting mine here so I can have more room in my upstairs.

Also running is very good idea. Also weight training I like quite alot and love lifting. I suggest not just working on specific muscle groups because you will become unproportion'd and that is not good.

You should work on every area of your body.
1.Biceps
2.Triceps
3.Back
4.Forearms
5.Wrists
6.Abdomen
7.Gluts
8.Quads
9.Calves
10.Hamstrings
11.Shoulders

Strengthening your shoulders and forearms/wrist can give you huge advantages in everyday life. Better grips I think are a good way to shake off attackers.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if you have light free weights (like 5 lbs or so), practice your punching drills while holding the weight. you'll build muscle, and when you take the weights off, your hands will be faster because you were used to compensating for the weight... same reason baseball players put weights on their bats when they're on deck.

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by nightingale8472

if you have light free weights (like 5 lbs or so), practice your punching drills while holding the weight. you'll build muscle, and when you take the weights off, your hands will be faster because you were used to compensating for the weight... same reason baseball players put weights on their bats when they're on deck.

I agree with this comment but I have a addition to go with it. When you punch with the weights, I'd start with lighter weights and please do not go full extension with them. Going full extension will damage the elbows and the shoulders.

Here is some of the drills I do when I'm training by myself.

The Basic 4. This is doing pushups and dips with a chair. Then I do a bunch of squats and lunges. Depending on how good of shape you are in, I would start with 10 to 15 each and work yourself up to 25 to 50 each, maybe more.

Sprawls. Fasten a long rope or bungee cords between 2 chairs or benches, about knee or quad high, about 15 to 20 feet apart. Start on one end and jump over the line, landing in a push up position. Remain in that position as you crawl under the line and a bit up the rope, about a body's length, before springing up into a fighting stance. With this drill, you might want to wear gloves as the impact of your hands hitting the ground hurts after awhile

Line Punching. You have probably seen this drill done in Rocky 4. Raise the line from the previous drill to chest high, maybe a bit lower, and start on one end. Duck under the the line and then come up on the other side of it with a double jab or a backfist and cross combo. My friend does this with kicking combos as well as hands. I also put tennis balls on the line to act as targets.

Towel pullups. You may have seen this on a recent wrestling show where they were promoting the Rock. Grab a old towel, find a overhead support, and throw one end of the towel over it. Grab both ends of the and do pullups with it. This is an awesome excercise to build up the strength in your grip.

Rice Bottle Training. Take a 2 litre plastic bottle, fill it up 1/2 to 3/4 full, and then glue the cap on. You may want to tape it up to but thats up to you. Hold it in one hand, let it go, and employ a palm strike and grab with the other hand. This is another awesome drill to work your grip as well as the heel palm strike. You can also roll it up and down your shins to condition them as muay thai people do. Work yourself up to using 2 and then you will be working your speed to a lesser extent as well.

I'll post more when I have the time. I hope these drills help you as much as they helped me

OP
J

J-kid

Not to sure what some of them do and how to do them. Sounds like alot of fun to try please give me a few more tips . What else do i need? But thanks for the tips i know how to do a few of them and will start soon.:yinyang:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the mental side I would think of the techniques. Not just "think" but really look them through in your head. See/feel the movement in your head. Correcting every time.

You can then do them movements slowy, and backwards. Things like this just to get it "in your blood".

Sometimes you can just work on your foot work. Walking down the street and alone, you can suddenly decide to try som foot work around a light post. Gives a bit of spontanity.

/Yari

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by Judo-kid

Not to sure what some of them do and how to do them. Sounds like alot of fun to try please give me a few more tips . What else do i need? But thanks for the tips i know how to do a few of them and will start soon.:yinyang:

Are you refering to the drills I posted or someone else? If it's my drills, let me know here and I will edit my post if needed. I thought I explained myself well

OP
D

Deathtrap101

kenpo wolf, could you be a little more thorough with the rice botttle thing, i didnt quite understand it.

OP
J

J-kid

That question was for kenpo wolf. Please explain .

OP
T

tonbo

Here are a couple of ideas, from various sources:

Make a heavy bag out of an old duffel bag (get one from an army surplus store for cheap) filled with rags. Wrap it in duct tape, if you want. Loop some chain through the grommets at the top and suspend it from an eye hook or from a tree branch.

Make a "crazy ball" by taking an old basketball/soccer ball, etc. and putting it inside an old pillowcase (roughly in the middle). Twist the ends and either tie them off or duct tape them off, so you have something that looks like a giant candy (extra material on each end of the ball). Tie those ends on to bungee cords, and wrap one bungee cord through a free weight (for the bottom); tie the other end to an eye hook from a rafter or tree branch. Punch away!!

Use a ladder to practice kicking height and stretching. Kick between the rungs and use the rungs as levels to hold a stretch.

Tie heavy string/cord through a weight. Give yourself about three feet of line. Make a dowel that is about three feet long. In the center of the dowel, drill a hole to thread the cord through and tie it off at the top. Now, take the dowel in your hands, one on either side of the cord's knot, and turn the dowel with alternating hands, "rolling" the weight up on the line. This will build up forearm strength.

There are all kinds of things like this that can be beneficial....it's all in how you look at it..;)

Peace--

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf

Sprawls. Fasten a long rope or bungee cords between 2 chairs or benches, about knee or quad high, about 15 to 20 feet apart. Start on one end and jump over the line, landing in a push up position. Remain in that position as you crawl under the line and a bit up the rope, about a body's length, before springing up into a fighting stance. With this drill, you might want to wear gloves as the impact of your hands hitting the ground hurts after awhile

Rice Bottle Training. Take a 2 litre plastic bottle, fill it up 1/2 to 3/4 full, and then glue the cap on. You may want to tape it up to but thats up to you. Hold it in one hand, let it go, and employ a palm strike and grab with the other hand. This is another awesome drill to work your grip as well as the heel palm strike. You can also roll it up and down your shins to condition them as muay thai people do. Work yourself up to using 2 and then you will be working your speed to a lesser extent as well.

I'll go into these drills now since I thought the other ones (Basic 4, Line Punching, Towel Pullups) were well explained. If you want me to go into these, please let me know

Sprawls. I picked this drill up from someone who trained at Ken Shamrock's Lions Den a few years ago. I have found it an excellent way to train against a grappler's shoot, which is a dive for the waist or knees, which is a good way to visualize the drill. But in the drill, you replace the human element with a line stretched between two supports about knee to quadracep(spl). You jump over the rope/imaginery opponent, landing in a basic pushup position. Remain in this position as you crawl sideways under the rope and then forwards the length of your body. Explosively spring up into your fighting stance. This will place you on the opposite side of the line that you started from. Repeat the process until you get to the end of rope, turn around, and do the line again

Rice Bottle Training. I found this drill in a MA Training mag 4 or 5 years ago. As I said before, it does an awesome job on strengthening your grip. If you are a smaller person, you may have start with a smaller bottle and work your way up to a bigger one. After you prepare your bottle, stand in a horse stance while holding the bottle with one hand at 3/4 extension either vertically or horizontally. Let the bottle go and strike it with the palm of your other hand and try to grab it. Then repeat with the other hand. At first, you'll be knocking it away so you may want to tie it to a overhead support until you can grab it on a continual basis. After you can grab it constantly, try it with two of them. Hold two bottles as you did one before, let go of them as you chamber your arm, and then use two palm strikes before grabbing them . The applications of this drill in the martial arts is awesome. The width of the bottle is bigger then then the average arm. If you can block or strike a fist coming at you, you might as well employ economy of motion and grab his wrist or upper arm. In practice, I have used this method and made a few people submit by simply squeezing either their arm after a block.
BTW, I was rushed a little when I typed this so I may edit it later

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tum te tum dum, tum te tum te tum dum ...

Sometimes you can just work on your foot work. Walking down the street and alone, you can suddenly decide to try som foot work around a light post. Gives a bit of spontanity.

I'm siiiiiinging in the rain, just siiiiiinging in the rain ....:D

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid

I need some ideas when it comes to self training. My problem is i dont have a training partner or punching bag etc at home. Just have a few wts. I need some ideas i have a good size front yard , Anyone know anything you can do on your own to inprove your fighting tech. or stam. str. I am trying to put together a good program for me to work with in my front yard , Shadow boxing gets old anything else i know some of you have dojos and have many ideas please post them. Your Friend Judo-kid.
Develop your speed
Develop your stamina
Develop your power
Develop your mind
Develop what is your own

Latest Discussions