Speed Training Tips

jbarnescombat

White Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  1. Train with a partner who is faster to accelerate your progress.
  2. Develop your visual reflexes to quickly recognize attacks and openings.
  3. Learn to relax for better initiation speed and develop a "poker face."
  4. Work on speed in all fighting ranges (long, mid, close) for balanced development.
  5. Use equipment and tools to maximize speed (focus mitts, speed bag, and double end bag).

[link deleted per advertising policy, 3.2 - jks9199]
Please reply with your tips for speed training...or questions on speed training.

Train Hard. Win Easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen speed-training programs before--as far back as John LaTourette's at least--but I've never had the impression they provide much benefit beyond regular training.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen speed-training programs before--as far back as John LaTourette's at least--but I've never had the impression they provide much benefit beyond regular training.

I wondered if anyone to bring up Doc. I spent time training under him many years ago. He was definitely fast....and hit like brick as well.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wondered if anyone to bring up Doc. I spent time training under him many years ago. He was definitely fast....and hit like brick as well.

But could he teach others to be that fast, or was it mostly his personal attributes?

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
An odd one that worked for me and did increase my speed was to train several sessions with wrist weights on. Obviously strengthened my arms but in an effort to keep up with the classes (albeit being careful not to damage joints with these things attached) I eventually was throwing my punches at a decent speed with the weights on. Take them off and initially it felt a little weird but the speed I could throw had increased significantly.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
But could he teach others to be that fast, or was it mostly his personal attributes?

Sorry for the delay. Missed the response. The answer is Yes and Yes. Doc certainly could teach the mechanics and the precision needed for the speed but, most students didn't stay with him long enough to learn what was required. Hence you ended up with a lot of individuals that got the speed but not the power. All flash but no gas.

And Secondly as far as his physical attributes in his prime Doc was frightening but, he got older and years of physicality caught up with him. He doesn't move like he used to but, I still wouldn't call him slow.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
An odd one that worked for me and did increase my speed was to train several sessions with wrist weights on. Obviously strengthened my arms but in an effort to keep up with the classes (albeit being careful not to damage joints with these things attached) I eventually was throwing my punches at a decent speed with the weights on. Take them off and initially it felt a little weird but the speed I could throw had increased significantly.

Yep. You are utilizing Dynamic Resistance. Working a technique slowly with weight can strengthen the muscles thus you will move faster without the weight. This is the reason I usually train my staff forms with a heavy metal staff. Just remember to always go slowly full speed will definitely destroy those joints. Inertia can get the "upper hand" very quickly.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking of speed, I heard of this guy who was a quick draw champion. Quick draw is an event where you draw a gun from a holster, fire it at a target, and then return it to the holster. Apparently, this guy could draw, fire, and re-holster quicker than a person can blink. You would hardly see his hand move. He claimed that to be fast as he was, he would be relaxed but not too relaxed. He would have some tenseness in his arm which enabled him to be as fast as he was.

Merline

White Belt
Reaction score
Effective speed training tips and like to add set realistic goals and specify your target. Keep your workout journal to measure your progress.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of what is considered to be speed is readiness. Return motion is have your art; so, return to a point of readiness, and lose the hand weights.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... so your physical speed means nothing if you don't have a competent system of deploying it. Then there is perceptual speed. You have to realize what is happening, to even start reacting to it. :)