Looking for a bow

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bow that is not entirely for beginners, but not really advanced either. It needs to suit someone who is about 5'6", somewhat muscular, in good physical shape, who doesn't mind a learning curve for a non-beginner's bow, but not something unreasonably hard.

It would be nice if the bow was not huge. Thanks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a good archery shop. They'll steer you towards what you're interested in. Depends on whether you're looking for a hunting bow, a target bow, etc. for example.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what is the difference between a beginner or advanced bow. There are more powerful or less powerful, good quality or poor quality materials, good or poor workmanship, but in the end it's just a bow. Get one that isn't too powerful for you, but also one that isn't too weak for you or you will not enjoy using it. Even a weak child's bow can kill an animal I.or a human.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but it is really not hard to make a functional 40-50 lb drawing weight bow from red or white oak from a lumber yard.....Google is your friend there, plenty of easy tutorials, and if you don't like it you are out only a couple of bucks/ pounds/ rubles etc

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To what end? My daughter does recurve target archery. There are compound target competitors, compound 3D shooters, longbow shooters, and on and on.

Just gave her a breakdown recurve set with accoutrements for X-mas. Lancasterarchery.com was where we shopped.

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
How about a bow for someone who wants to be able to shoot several arrows in succession quite quickly? Are some types of bows more appropriate for that than others? I know it's ultimately up to the person, but a bow where you normally would set up a shot quicker because of some feature in it would be nice.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest choice you will have to make it whether you want a "recurve" or a "compound" bow. Recurve being a more traditional design and a lot of fun to just shoot. Obviously, a compound bow is significantly better for hunting, accuracy, etc. So it kind've depends on what you want. In terms of speed I can shoot a compound or a recurve equally fast. That my friend comes down to you and your training and skills.

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, so what are the main advantages and disadvantages of picking recurve over compound? What do I gain and do I trade away?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well a compound bow when you draw it back there is a let off on the draw weight. This is great so you can keep your draw for a longer period of time. This is excellent for hunting as you can readjust easily at full draw. Also with a compound bow you can have a peep hole for sighting which while not a scope works in the same manner. Their are many more advantages but those are the big two. So with a compound bow you will have reduced weight on a full draw and be able to hold it longer at full draw and also be more accurate because of the peep sight.

With a recurve they are just fun to shoot. No advantages compared to a compound bow otherwise. Other than that they are less complex and require less maintenance.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My kids recurve has sights, stabilizers and other dodads. But the let off point is true. The competition recurve has a "clicker" attached to the sight. It's a spring loaded metal wire that clicks at full draw. The shooter sights while reaching full draw then releases at the click.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about a bow for someone who wants to be able to shoot several arrows in succession quite quickly? Are some types of bows more appropriate for that than others? I know it's ultimately up to the person, but a bow where you normally would set up a shot quicker because of some feature in it would be nice.
Why? Tell us more about your goals/purposes. That doesn't sound like hunting, for example, which is typically one aimed shot at the target critter. It doesn't sound like typical archery competition; that's also usually aimed shots at a target. So what are you after?

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why? Tell us more about your goals/purposes. That doesn't sound like hunting, for example, which is typically one aimed shot at the target critter. It doesn't sound like typical archery competition; that's also usually aimed shots at a target. So what are you after?

Anybody can shoot a stationary target with some practice. I want to be better than that. I want to be able to hit moving targets on the fly with very little time. I'm sure that will take years of constant practice. I'm cool with that.

Because shooting quickly and in succession is important, I would need a bow that is relatively portable and not very heavy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you want to go with a recurve. Recurves are your classic "bow and arrow" from playing cowboys and indians when you were a kid. Bent stick, string... not much more to it. Compound bows are more complicated and heavier.

Oh... and you might find shooting a stationary target to be harder than you think...

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you want to go with a recurve. Recurves are your classic "bow and arrow" from playing cowboys and indians when you were a kid. Bent stick, string... not much more to it. Compound bows are more complicated and heavier.

Oh... and you might find shooting a stationary target to be harder than you think...

But a recurve it a bit "punchier" than standard bows, aren't they? Something about the curve delivering a bit more power on the pull...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But a recurve it a bit "punchier" than standard bows, aren't they? Something about the curve delivering a bit more power on the pull...
A recurve has a little more than a true straight stick -- but the reality is that you're not likely to find a half-way serious bow that's not recurve. Maybe if you chase one down at a renn-fest or similiar place...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lay your hands on one, see what you think. Like guns, like knives, like lots of things... a lot comes down to what you like and how it feels for you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best advice I can give you is to go to a very good archery shop and explain your needs and they will work to set you up. I agree you are probably looking for a recurve and they are very fun to shoot.

The Scythian

White Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you're interested in composite bows (the original compounds, my favourite). It's possible to fire quickly and efficiently with most techniques. Think Mongols, Mughals, Scythians, et cetera. Companies like Kassai, Grozer, and Saluki make good, affordable bows. Saluki is premium if you're willing to pay a premium price. Start with a low draw weight. Historically, composite bows for war could be very powerful (upwards of 150 pounds, depending).

Here's a great resource on Eastern archery in general:

ATARN Home Page

The Paleoplanet forum and others are full of experienced composite archers.

Of course, composites are not limited to just Asiatic styles.

Cheers.

Latest Discussions