Long Form 1 Video Comments Please

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
seninoniwashi, I see many things executed differently from the way that I learned to execute them.

I would not describe what I see as 'wrong', because I am not familiar with the Tracy training.
Nor am I. I do know that in San Soo, we do forms much differently than we do practice. Forms are deliberately more exaggerated (flowery, as one of my teachers says), as for example what we call a down windmill block in a form covers the whole front of the body, while in partner practice, it may be a very small circle--just enough to trap/block the incoming. This video shows something similar, so it occurs to me this gent may be doing the form in the manner he was taught, but would modify the moves for real application.
I might suggest that some of the things that I see do not look effective. But, I don't think I would want to go further than that based only on this video.
A reasonable response. Hard to tell what would be effective in the heat of battle just from this form. I will say the overhead blocks sometimes don't clear the top of the head, and the downward palm blocks (sorry, don't know the Tracy/EPAK name) would seem to redirect the attack right into ones own groin.

But all in all, as some have said, I wouldn't judge someone's practice off of one 'snapshot' like this.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found this long form with extensions check it out

Last edited by a moderator:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found this long form with extensions check it out

Thank you, Sean, for commenting.

This certainly looks much closer to what I recognize as Long Form 1, as well.

But, further, I see many things that merit 'correction'; aspects of the form that I do not believe are open to interpretation or lineage variation, aspects that are, in fact, incorrect.

My best hope is that if I am ever captured on video, outside of a training lesson, that the performance of my body matches the performance in my mind. However, I think that is, at best, a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are so many videos and almost all of them have some type of variation.It seems like they were either all taught a different way or they miss calculated the technique. Just my opinion

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are so many videos and almost all of them have some type of variation.It seems like they were either all taught a different way or they miss calculated the technique. Just my opinion
Exactly! Every instructor teaches his concerns and experiences to their students at what ever level the student can handle. Given different body types and the personal experiences of the student, it is a given we won't see what we want to see when watching others do our beloved forms. I heared some where recently that a test tells you just as much about the tester as it does the tested; so, I think, specific comments are good to see wheather they are bad or good.
Sean

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Exactly! Every instructor teaches his concerns and experiences to their students at what ever level the student can handle. Given different body types and the personal experiences of the student, it is a given we won't see what we want to see when watching others do our beloved forms. I heared some where recently that a test tells you just as much about the tester as it does the tested; so, I think, specific comments are good to see wheather they are bad or good.
Sean

I agree. After all its only constructive criticism

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hiya all, I was searching around for a good few videos to help my daughter with Long form 1 and came across this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eZh_F2Ii0WI

Has anyone else seen this out there? What do you think about a higher ranking belt performing Long form 1 like this? What do you all think of how the blocks are executed, primarily the inward and downward?

Like Sean stated earlier... very primitive or poorly understood. He certainly "knows OF" the form but did not demonstrate "knowing" the form and surely doesn't "Understand" the form.

:yoda:

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've watched a lot of Kenpo on line. Why does everyone always do their forms so fast? There is a difference between flowing and speeding. Almost everyone tries to fly through the forms like their *** is on fire, making the form look like garbage. Watch a few more renditions of long 1. Watch the isolation moves at the end. Every video I have watched is the same, speeding right along until they come to the push downs, then it's so so slow, then BAM!, it's back to light speed for the punches. Why? Why not do the form with proper mechanics and meaning from the beginning?

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought the demo of the form application was pretty kewl. Although I was taught that the palm presses were defenses against knees to the groin. Again I thought it was...

1stJohn1:9

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is the hard part about video posting but I must say if your going to post it make sure to bring your A game to the table. And make sure you can eat all the criticism that come your way for posting your footage because there will be a million and one people telling you how you executed the technique poorly. ( In most cases anyways)

ChadWarner

Green Belt
Reaction score
in the first form there is a lot of arm movement without center movement/ waist. Is this the norm with this form?

Respectfully,
Marlon
There should be some noticeable waist movement (and there is some) but I think the timing is a bit off so it runs together with other movement giving the form a blocky or square appearance. It also seemed a little rushed which tends to cause the principles or laws to be overrun by body momemtum. When that happens movement stops and has to be restarted, the by product is mechanical looking movement.

That's why the rule in Kenpo is 1000 times slow for one time fast. All those slow repititions help you feel things... it takes time and a lot of patience and also developes focus.

hope this helped some

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've watched a lot of Kenpo on line. Why does everyone always do their forms so fast? There is a difference between flowing and speeding. Almost everyone tries to fly through the forms like their *** is on fire, making the form look like garbage. Watch a few more renditions of long 1. Watch the isolation moves at the end. Every video I have watched is the same, speeding right along until they come to the push downs, then it's so so slow, then BAM!, it's back to light speed for the punches. Why? Why not do the form with proper mechanics and meaning from the beginning?

You almost sound like Max.

Baphomet

White Belt
Reaction score
The video posted by the original poster looks very similar to a form I learned several years ago, though I can't remember if it was known as Long 1, or something different. As mentioned in the posts previous to my own, the practicioner's movements seem to be far too extended to be worthwhile. From my experience, you can generate far more power while still maintaining control when keeping your arms closer to your body.

Previous posters also mentioned the fact that the practicioner appeared to be moving far too quickly, and I would have to agree. When I practiced this form, I was told to hold each stance for a minimum of 10 to 15 seconds, which made for a very long kata. However, I feel as though I am better for it, and after practicing the same kata hundreds of times, I have come to enjoy the sense of physical strength that comes with it.

Latest Discussions