Old school Chung Do Kwan forms

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[video]http://youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m2a1hyeg#/watch?v=966HbWybW88[/video]

I came across this & a few other early Chung Do Kwan forms done by, I think, GM Son's students. I mean no disrespect, & I don't want this to turn into a flame-fest on GM Son or his students, but were all early CDK forms done so fast? Was that the standard from GM LEE Won Kuk back in the day?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
[video]http://youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m2a1hyeg#/watch?v=966HbWybW88[/video]

I came across this & a few other early Chung Do Kwan forms done by, I think, GM Son's students. I mean no disrespect, & I don't want this to turn into a flame-fest on GM Son or his students, but were all early CDK forms done so fast? Was that the standard from GM LEE Won Kuk back in the day?

No it wasn't. That is something GM Son developed on his own.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I never thought of that. Actually, I never really read through his books. After a few chapters, I did not have much of an interest. What kind of things did he change?

He changed the speed and tempo of the forms, made them much faster.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did GM Son ever give a reasoning for the changes he made? Either verbally or in his writtings?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did GM Son ever give a reasoning for the changes he made? Either verbally or in his writtings?

I don't know the answer to that question. You probably have to ask one of his students. I am sure there is an explanation. It might be in one of his books, perhaps in his second book, black belt korean karate.

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to that question.

I can speculate. (And this is really wild speculation, because I have not even seen the forms in question.)

Maybe he felt that, in traditional performance, the movements were too considered. He preferred a battle-scenario-like pace. Accuracy and power are only part of the equation. Those (usually) only make a technique effective if they can be maintained at fighting speed. Accuracy, power, and speed.

(Or maybe he just didn't want testings to take all day.)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can speculate. (And this is really wild speculation, because I have not even seen the forms in question.)

Maybe he felt that, in traditional performance, the movements were too considered. He preferred a battle-scenario-like pace. Accuracy and power are only part of the equation. Those (usually) only make a technique effective if they can be maintained at fighting speed. Accuracy, power, and speed.

I think it does have something to do with that.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

IMO, it's a fine way to practice as long as the movements continue to maintain their integrity. The moment they become sloppy it's time to slow down with an aim to revisit the speed later WITH proper form.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, it's a fine way to practice as long as the movements continue to maintain their integrity. The moment they become sloppy it's time to slow down with an aim to revisit the speed later WITH proper form.

I believe that is the exact issue with GM Son's application of speed in forms -- it begins to look sloppy. I was taught that as a training exercise, we can perform taebaek poomsae as fast as we can, because the point of that form is speed through basics. So maybe GM Son did get the concept from training with GM LEE Won Kuk. It is a question that I will ask the next time I see GM PARK Hae Man.

Latest Discussions