Logos, to T.M. or not

R

redfive

For those of you who have Logos for your schools. Do you get them trade marked or is it not nessesary. I know that most of the large federation and chain schools do , but if you have a school of your own or you teach your own system should you trade mark the logo?
Your frieind in the Combative Arts, Redfive

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i suppose you wouldn't really have to worry about having your logo trademarked....but i would recommend that you check and see that no one already has the name you want to use trademarked already.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah Just make sure no one else is using your name or anything that looks like your Logo and you should be fine. :)

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the cheapest way to copywright a logo is to put a copy of it in an envelope and send it to yourself. when the envelope arrives just don't open it. store it away in your files and you have, in effect, a copywrighted logo...:D

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that doesn't hold up in court, primarily because you can mail yourself an empty, unsealed envelope, and then put anything you want in it.

the below quote is from www.copyright.gov, which is the US copyright office website. The quote is from their FAQ.

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?

The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
then what's the point? The purpose of a copyright is to protect yourself and whatever it is you're copyrighting. If the court can't back you on that, you're not protected.

OP
R

redfive

Thanks guy and gals

Copywrite is what I realy meant, but my mind went blank.

OP
R

redfive

Sorry I meant COPYRIGHT. The english language is truely confusing.

OP
C

c2kenpo

As your school grows and gets larger you will want to copyright your logos for all of your signs and cards etc. you dont want some competitior using your logo without having a leg to stand on. And it helps people identify with your school when they see your logo.

David Gunzburg