Would you do it?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want the perspective of a new student, I can give that. I just got my uniform today!

The uniform to me is very special. When one puts it on, it says, "Its time to practice" -- to set the mind on one thing, and focus. So, we practice a martial art that is very old, and very special.

In my city, at least, if the student is poor, they can work an extra job, what have you (I can't speak for parents, I have no children). In my school, the Teacher teaches Japanese words to us. They have respect for traditions, and so on.

As a new person, I would look askance at a school that would have some corporate logo on their uniform. Practicalities of money aside, it is too special a garment, to me.

By the way, I got it today at a second hand store, for $15.00, and, it is beautiful!

Regards,

Robert

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I ever get financially strapped to the point where I cannot keep the school going, I will start teaching in a park or back in the garage before I ever sell myself out for free stuff.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd enter every tounament I could wearing the sponsor's gi and make sure I came in last place every time for every event. I'd train in private so I'd wear my own gi (without logos) if I was teaching a class.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if any big chains such as McDonald's will ever get into sponsoring MA's, but I've never been able to agree with putting patches or logos on gi's. It almost takes away from the sport and takes away from the historic aspect of MA's. For instance you will never find pictures of Samurai with patches or displays of the lord that they served under.

I'd like to think that McD's would be willing to sponsor something like MAs or MMA. They do seem to be putting a large amount of effort into advertising a more active lifestyle...I realize that the commercials are really trying to link unhealthy food to activities that are fun, but that aside...

If you want the perspective of a new student, I can give that. I just got my uniform today!

The uniform to me is very special. When one puts it on, it says, "Its time to practice" -- to set the mind on one thing, and focus. So, we practice a martial art that is very old, and very special.

As a new person, I would look askance at a school that would have some corporate logo on their uniform. Practicalities of money aside, it is too special a garment, to me.

By the way, I got it today at a second hand store, for $15.00, and, it is beautiful.

Robert

Robert...congratulations on your proud purchase and wise deal seeking, may you wear it long and in good health!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Robert...congratulations on your proud purchase and wise deal seeking, may you wear it long and in good health!

Amen to that! What a wonderful occasion :)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cannot see it at all for a MA school. That is almost like treading on scared ground to me. (I said ALMOST, not is sacred ground.) There are ideals and tradition that I think have to be taken into account when we are talking MA's. Now I'm not advocating that we all have to train just like they did 7, 8, or 900 years ago, just we have to keep in mind those that have gone before us in our respective arts. If we cannot see the founder of our art forms wearing a Gi or Dobok with an ad on it, in exchange for a padded floor; we need to pass on the offer.

Now fishing on the other hand: somebody buys me a new bass boat and a rig to tow it to the lakes, I'll wear a Pink life vest with Vagisil emblazoned across the back! :wavey:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score

In my city, at least, if the student is poor, they can work an extra job, what have you (I can't speak for parents, I have no children). In my school, the Teacher teaches Japanese words to us. They have respect for traditions, and so on.

By the way, I got it today at a second hand store, for $15.00, and, it is beautiful!

Regards,

Robert

Can't get any better than this post! Congrats Robert :partyon:

May you always have the desire and love for your art you feel right now, every time you put your Gi on. :asian:

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd enter every tounament I could wearing the sponsor's gi and make sure I came in last place every time for every event. I'd train in private so I'd wear my own gi (without logos) if I was teaching a class.

.....waste money and time driving to tournaments all over your state and ruin your name and reputation in the process?
I hope your post was some kind of sarcasm, because that seems to be a massive waste of effort just to "stick it to the man."

AoG

Latest Discussions