Hospitals 'infested with vermin'

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hospitals 'infested with vermin'
BBC NEWS
Wednesday, 6 August 2008
Excerpt:

Pest control expert David Cross on how pests get into hospitals and spread infection

The cleanliness of most NHS hospitals in England is threatened by frequent invasions of rats, fleas, bedbugs, flies and cockroaches, a report claims.
Figures released by the Conservatives show that 70% of NHS Trusts brought in pest controllers at least 50 times between January 2006 and March 2008.
Vermin were found in wards, clinics and even operating theatres. A patients' group said the situation was revolting.
But health chiefs played down fears the infestations could lead to disease.

READ FULL STORY
Wow.Just. Wow.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Figures released by Conservatives" ie the Government's Opposition. Go figure.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The largest cockroaches I have ever seen in my life have been in some of the USA's highest rated hospitals. It is inevitable to an extent, and as long as they are kept under control, are not a patient health problem.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The figures are based on the amount of times the pest control officers were called out. All big buildings can have pests so you call out the pest people to prevent infestations as well as deal with any. Counting up how many times they've been called out doesn't tell us anything.
Maggots are often found in hospitals, they are used to get rid ( okay they eat it) the dead flesh on wounds, they are sterile and very effective allowing the wound to heal cleanly.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pest control comes to our offices monthly. It is preventative, but they do show up 12 times a year. That stat is worthless. I'd be a lot more worried by a hospital that DIDN'T use pest control.

Latest Discussions