Little Discouraged

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had the exact same knee symptoms as you describe. I took it wayyy easy doing stretches in class and that seemed to help significantly. I think it was an overextension on a leg extension of a box split that originally caused it. It has been a few weeks but it is gradually getting better so you should have a good recovery now that you have seen someone who isn't a quack!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I just got back from my appointment and that was more like it. He told me that I have two problems.

1. He believes I have some torn cartilage (sp) in my right knee that could be swollen that is catching when I bend my knee.

2. He believes that my muscle that controls the outter movement of my leg is swollen and is putting pressure on my scietic (sp) nerve.

He gave me a prescription of naproxen and referred me to physical therapy. He also told me that i can continue doing what I am doing, just not as hard. I am happy with this evaluation because he actually took the time to move my legs around and reenact the pain.

So now you know and you should be back in no time.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I lucked out and was able to get the Dr. who started the sports medicine department at my school. He couldn't belive what the other doctor did.

It is nice to know what the likely problems are and how to correct it. He even broke out the skeleton to show me what was happening.

Its a rare thing to find a Doctor that takes the time to SHOW you where the injury is and discuss the options available...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
McCleod,

A fellow Scotsman. Welcome Kinsman. I am from the Clan Morton of the Highlands. Relation to the McDowell's, Wallace's, McGregor's, and McNeily's.

I wore leg braces for 14 years. The Marine Corps can be an absolute ***** on one's joints. That is another story. Listen to Drac and IcemanSK. Now let me put my .02 in.

Don't train in TKD but try and keep flexibility and range of motion in your hips and hamstrings. If it hurts don't do it. I am not a doctor, I am just passing on what I have done.

Good luck and welcome again.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to miss thanking Kacey. When I announced I was going through 65% knee reconstructive surgery she in all caps typed the following, "Do not rush anything." So I stayed home a few weeks from class with a leg immobilizer.

Well I continued to stretch the best I could and so forth. Here is the trick that keeps you from failing or falling back......

Meditate on what the technique is and mentally and visually see it, just relax and let it happen. Slow and steady wins this race my friend so don't rush.

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to miss thanking Kacey. When I announced I was going through 65% knee reconstructive surgery she in all caps typed the following, "Do not rush anything." So I stayed home a few weeks from class with a leg immobilizer.

Well I continued to stretch the best I could and so forth. Here is the trick that keeps you from failing or falling back......

Meditate on what the technique is and mentally and visually see it, just relax and let it happen. Slow and steady wins this race my friend so don't rush.

Thank you! I appreciate all of the advice I have received. I am definitely not rushing into anything. I am trying to work on my flexibility. I wish I would see a little more progress but I am sure I will one day. My only problem stretching is, as I said before, my right knee. Also, my hips don't like to stretch and allow me to stretch in the splits.

Latest Discussions