Linking Martial Arts..........

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
I want to get pass the moral linking and look farther into link like the buddist do. They are pass that moral linkage and are into the spiritual link, thats what I am try to get to with MA and christianity.:asian:

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
Clever, but not quite right, IMO. Buddhists just accept life how it is, and that's it. They live simply, which I LOVE, but they don't feel the need to search for anything more. Well, Christians want and believe in something more- I think that calls for a martial arts style that emphasizes perseverance, self sacrifice, integrity, and indomitable spirit.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Clever, but not quite right, IMO. Buddhists just accept life how it is, and that's it. They live simply, which I LOVE, but they don't feel the need to search for anything more. Well, Christians want and believe in something more- I think that calls for a martial arts style that emphasizes perseverance, self sacrifice, integrity, and indomitable spirit.

If this was to me, I do believe we said the same thing, if this was to jkd friend then I do believe we agree.

Eastern culture tends to look at all things as part of the whole western culture tend to compartmentalize

What I was saying was if ones goal was to look at this from the perspective of a Buddhist, stop looking, there is no need it is already there and that is all

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have always looked for the links (or applied my own) between my martial training and the spirituality I follow (Chrisitanity). I believe they go hand in hand, just as many spiritual systems that have been "attached" to the martial arts over the years do.
As far as Christianity being much "younger", I am not sure I agree. If you believe Christianity started A.D. and was basically built on and in Rome, than I understand it being much younger, BUT, If you see NT Christianity as a "Messianic" continuation of the OT Hebrew religion of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob than it becomes MUCH older all of a sudden.

Last edited:

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
we westerners do tend to look at tiny details, don't we? Personally, I believe that the big picture is bigger than we can comprehend, so any attempt to see the "big picture" is really compartmentalizing in disguise. Disguising our uncertainty with "wisdom". That's what most of us do.

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
kamishinkan, I agree. "Christianity" is young in name, but it started with Creation. Jesus fulfilled the prophecy in the OT, he didn't abolish it. Therefore, "Christianity" the belief is as old as faith and time. After all, Jesus was born a Jew, was he not? ;)

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Buddhists just accept life how it is, and that's it. They live simply, which I LOVE, but they don't feel the need to search for anything more.

Wow, your knowledge of buddhism and how "simple" it is, is truly amazing.:rolleyes:

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
haha, thanks for that insight. ;)

Edit: I've read as many, if not more, books on buddhism than on any other religion... which is kind of sad considering that my beliefs align with those found in the Bible. ;) Anyways... I understand the basic concept.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we westerners do tend to look at tiny details, don't we? Personally, I believe that the big picture is bigger than we can comprehend, so any attempt to see the "big picture" is really compartmentalizing in disguise. Disguising our uncertainty with "wisdom". That's what most of us do.

That's what makes it such a struggle, eh? That the big picture is bigger than we can comprehend?

So how do you just let it be and let go of the struggle with trying to define and label everything and compartmentalize it?

I guess you stop asking questions? Just experience the wonder and mystery of it? Get the brain out of the way? Or let the questions be questions without answers?

Maybe it's the same as getting the brain outta the way when sparring.
(This is how I link my spirituality with martial arts. But if I try to do that FOR my students, well, then I stop their own spiritual growth, don't I?)

I know that I am so not qualified to teach spirituality. So when I teach martial arts, I have decided to just stick to the art as it was taught to me. But I try to give the space for students to teach themselves.

I have had studetns write essays before and my favorite ones are the ones where students write about the lessons they have learned in martial arts. Funny thing is, they usually give me the credit for teaching them the lesson, but most often I was not aware of teaching the lesson. So I think the students really taught themselves.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kamishinkan, I agree. "Christianity" is young in name, but it started with Creation. Jesus fulfilled the prophecy in the OT, he didn't abolish it. Therefore, "Christianity" the belief is as old as faith and time. After all, Jesus was born a Jew, was he not? ;)

Well Christians believe that, it's not a fact to many of us who either believe something else or believe nothing, stating it as a fact may be a little strong for a lot of us!

Jesus was born, lived, preached and died as a Jew, something that often gets forgotten. Everything he did was Jewish, the way he ate, prayed and every aspect of his life. He was circumcised as a Jew and kept the Covenant. He wasn't just born a Jew, he was a Jew!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's what makes it such a struggle, eh? That the big picture is bigger than we can comprehend?

So how do you just let it be and let go of the struggle with trying to define and label everything and compartmentalize it?

I guess you stop asking questions? Just experience the wonder and mystery of it? Get the brain out of the way? Or let the questions be questions without answers?

Maybe it's the same as getting the brain outta the way when sparring.
(This is how I link my spirituality with martial arts. But if I try to do that FOR my students, well, then I stop their own spiritual growth, don't I?)

I know that I am so not qualified to teach spirituality. So when I teach martial arts, I have decided to just stick to the art as it was taught to me. But I try to give the space for students to teach themselves.

I have had studetns write essays before and my favorite ones are the ones where students write about the lessons they have learned in martial arts. Funny thing is, they usually give me the credit for teaching them the lesson, but most often I was not aware of teaching the lesson. So I think the students really taught themselves.

Questions are fine... just don't label them or try and put them in categories; Religious questions, non-religious questions, life questions, work questions, martial arts questions...they are all just questions

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I personally have a few very strong opinions on some things that have been said. First and foremost you can not link martial arts with christianity. Goes against the teachings. You never hear Jesus( Aka. Joshua) say, " Peter grab that sword and lop that guys ear off." Instead when he does do just that, Jesus rebukes him for it, and tells him to put his sword away. That, that is not the answer. Course on the othere side of the court, Jesus also says, " That in those days a man will have to sell his coat and buy a sword." Hmmm.....kind a contradiction to me. Furthermore there is a point in the NT where the pharisees, or perhaps the saducees are trying to capture Jesus, and the bible says, " and they could not touch him", always kind of reminded me of Aikido.

My second point is if jesus and god are one and the same, why then when asked does he always reply with, " I am god's son." Even those that tried to do him worship he would say, " Do not do that. I am not deserving. THere is but one God, and he is your father in heaven." Why is that? COuld it possibly be that he really was just god's son? Does god or Jesus care what you call him/them? Absolutely. My name is Nicholas, I don't want to be addressed as Nathan, or Noel. It's not my name, and to do so is disrespectful to me as person and human being. How much more so to god? Did he not tell the Israelites that they only had one god, and no others? Does not his name mean Jealous? Did he not say, " I am a jealous god, and you shall have no gods before me, for my name MEANS Jealous"? If you opened a prayer with, "With dear heavenly father JOHN", you think god is going to answer. Well, I wouldn't you must be praying to a god named John, not me. Get the picture?

My third contention is that there is actually quite a debate going on in christianity, concerning the words Jesus, and Joshua. In those days, Joshua was a very common name. It was to many peoples belief his name. Not jesus. Matter of fact in the original texts the name Jesus is nowhere to be found. However, Joshua was, and repeatedly. I believe it is pronounced Yeshua. The english equivalent is Joshua. Now, many people do not know this but when King James had the first bible written, gods name was actually taken out of the bible some 6,000 times. Why is that? Many people believe that Jesus is actually Satan, and that the word Jesus was used to replace Joshua. They believe that the whole NT is a fallicy that was written by the devil. A very interesting theory. On top of that the history channel brought out something that has plagued me for some months now. About the forgotten books of the bible. Jesus tells, the pharisees at one point, " Truly I say to you, someone greater than even Solomon stands before you now." So check it out. I looked up the Testament of Solomon on the internet not that long ago, ( need to finish it actually), but the very first page shows a picture of a pentagram. It was the insignia on the ring that the angel gives him, that he might command the demons to build god's temple. HOw funny. But a pentagram, is not something that you associate with the god of christianity. Definitely for most christians myself included deserves further study. What say you now, about all the questions that have been asked in previous posts. I think it's pretty interesting stuff myself
icon10.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally have a few very strong opinions on some things that have been said. First and foremost you can not link martial arts with christianity. Goes against the teachings. You never hear Jesus( Aka. Joshua) say, " Peter grab that sword and lop that guys ear off." Instead when he does do just that, Jesus rebukes him for it, and tells him to put his sword away. That, that is not the answer. Course on the othere side of the court, Jesus also says, " That in those days a man will have to sell his coat and buy a sword." Hmmm.....kind a contradiction to me. Furthermore there is a point in the NT where the pharisees, or perhaps the saducees are trying to capture Jesus, and the bible says, " and they could not touch him", always kind of reminded me of Aikido.

My second point is if jesus and god are one and the same, why then when asked does he always reply with, " I am god's son." Even those that tried to do him worship he would say, " Do not do that. I am not deserving. THere is but one God, and he is your father in heaven." Why is that? COuld it possibly be that he really was just god's son? Does god or Jesus care what you call him/them? Absolutely. My name is Nicholas, I don't want to be addressed as Nathan, or Noel. It's not my name, and to do so is disrespectful to me as person and human being. How much more so to god? Did he not tell the Israelites that they only had one god, and no others? Does not his name mean Jealous? Did he not say, " I am a jealous god, and you shall have no gods before me, for my name MEANS Jealous"? If you opened a prayer with, "With dear heavenly father JOHN", you think god is going to answer. Well, I wouldn't you must be praying to a god named John, not me. Get the picture?

My third contention is that there is actually quite a debate going on in christianity, concerning the words Jesus, and Joshua. In those days, Joshua was a very common name. It was to many peoples belief his name. Not jesus. Matter of fact in the original texts the name Jesus is nowhere to be found. However, Joshua was, and repeatedly. I believe it is pronounced Yeshua. The english equivalent is Joshua. Now, many people do not know this but when King James had the first bible written, gods name was actually taken out of the bible some 6,000 times. Why is that? Many people believe that Jesus is actually Satan, and that the word Jesus was used to replace Joshua. They believe that the whole NT is a fallicy that was written by the devil. A very interesting theory. On top of that the history channel brought out something that has plagued me for some months now. About the forgotten books of the bible. Jesus tells, the pharisees at one point, " Truly I say to you, someone greater than even Solomon stands before you now." So check it out. I looked up the Testament of Solomon on the internet not that long ago, ( need to finish it actually), but the very first page shows a picture of a pentagram. It was the insignia on the ring that the angel gives him, that he might command the demons to build god's temple. HOw funny. But a pentagram, is not something that you associate with the god of christianity. Definitely for most christians myself included deserves further study. What say you now, about all the questions that have been asked in previous posts. I think it's pretty interesting stuff myself
icon10.gif

Jush a small point, the King James version of the Bible is only one of many, his was the first to be printed in English and was for the Church of England. There had been Bibles around long before he did that.

According to this, Christians used to use the pentagram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram

Who exactly believes Jesus was the devil? I don't believe he was the Messiah but I doubt he was the devil. I've never heard anyone express opinions he was the devil. I know there are groups who believe John the Baptist is actually more important and they were persecuted for it in the past. The Mandaeans are one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeanism

Latest Discussions