Lib blogger changing his tune about "W"

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://hillbuzz.org/2009/11/10/than...orge-w-bush-and-former-first-lady-laura-bush/

If you have been reading us for any length of time, you know that we used to make fun of “Dubya” nearly every day…parroting the same comedic bits we heard in our Democrat circles, where Bush is still, to this day, lampooned as a chimp, a bumbling idiot, and a poor, clumsy public speaker.

Oh, how we RAILED against Bush in 2000…and how we RAILED against the surge in support Bush received post-9/11 when he went to Ground Zero and stood there with his bullhorn in the ruins on that hideous day.

We were convinced that ANYONE who was president would have done what Bush did, and would have set that right tone of leadership in the wake of that disaster. President Gore, President Perot, President Nader, you name it. ANYONE, we assumed, would have filled that role perfectly.

Well, we told you before how much the current president, Dr. Utopia, made us realize just how wrong we were about Bush. We shudder to think what Dr. Utopia would have done post-9/11. He would have not gone there with a bullhorn and struck that right tone. More likely than not, he would have been his usual fey, apologetic self and waxed professorially about how evil America is and how justified Muslims are for attacking us, with a sidebar on how good the attacks were because they would humble us.

Honestly, we don’t think President Gore would have been much better that day. The world needed George W. Bush, his bullhorn, and his indominable spirit that day…and we will forever be grateful to this man for that.

As we will always be grateful for what George and Laura Bush did this week, with no media attention, when they very quietly went to Ft. Hood and met personally with the families of the victims of this terrorist attack.

FOR HOURS.

The Bushes went and met privately with these families for HOURS, hugging them, holding them, comforting them.

If there are any of you out there with any connection at all to the Bushes, we implore you to give them our thanks…you tell them that a bunch of gay Hillary guys in Boystown, Chicago were wrong about the Bushes…and are deeply, deeply sorry for any jokes we told about them in the past, any bad thoughts we had about these good, good people.

You may be as surprised by this as we are ourselves, but from this day forward George W. and Laura Bush are now on the same list for us as the Clintons, Geraldine Ferraro, Stephanie Tubbs Jones, and the other political figures we keep in our hearts and never allow anyone to badmouth.

Criticize their policies academically and intelligently and discuss the Bush presidency in historical and political terms…but you mess with the Bushes personally and, from this day forward, you’ll answer to us.

We hope someday to be able to thank George W. and Laura in person for all they’ve done, and continue to do. They didn’t have to head to Ft. Hood. That was not their responsibility.

The Obamas should have done that.

But didn’t.

Wouldn’t.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where was the "mainstream media" on this? Where were they on Obamas lack of personal response?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think President and Laura Bush's discreet visit to Fort Hood was a classy gesture.

I would not read quite so much into the Obamas' absense at this point. As a former president, Mr Bush can slip in under the radar; President Obama can't. I think in the early days after the massacre, a Presidential visit -- with all of the requisite security and media speculation -- would be highly disruptive at a time when personnel are reeling from recent tragedy.

Mr Bush was in exactly the same dilemma after Katrina -- once the media had shown countless pictures of people standing on rooftoops, wading through sewage, and screaming into cameras, the President was roundly criticized for not getting on the ground quickly enough. Once there, all he can really do is give a speech.

Unfortunately, the partisan game goes on even after President Bush is out of office. It doesn't have to be a zero sum game, in which Bush's quiet, dignified triumph is Obama's public foul up. I don't think that's what the Bushes intended when they went to Ft Hood.

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of people have come to realize just how wrong they were in their opinion of President Bush. I always said that history would prove how right he was on most of what he did, and how fortunate this country was to have him at the helm during 9-11 and it's aftermath. Besides, with Obama proving to be just about everything Bush was accused of being, it will make W. look even that much better in the eyes of history.

I've always said that nothing builds a stronger friendship than a common enemy.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, opinion.

Truly, I love seeing how each president, once he leaves office, performs in the ways of diplomacy and citizenship.

This was a loving gesture by the Bushes and good on them.

I must echo Gordon's comment that I wouldn't immediately condemn Obama's lack of presence.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do.

Not even a symbolic one like sending his VP.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blogger's an idiot.

I don't have an opinion on this thread and I was just reading it for interest but sorry, I had to laugh when I read this post! It's just so short and sour lol!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have an opinion on this thread and I was just reading it for interest but sorry, I had to laugh when I read this post! It's just so short and sour lol!
Heh. Obama wasn't running around with a bullhorn, so he's a poor leader? Deep thought processes there. Then to decide from such flimsy reasoning that there's no way he could've responded to 9-11 is just inane.

Gordon Nore summed it up better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh. Obama wasn't running around with a bullhorn, so he's a poor leader? Deep thought processes there. Then to decide from such flimsy reasoning that there's no way he could've responded to 9-11 is just inane.

Gordon Nore summed it up better.

I'm not sure where your are coming from here, all I said was I liked your post.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure where your are coming from here, all I said was I liked your post.

Tez,

I think Marginal was saying that I 'summed it up better' than he did. He wasn't comparing my remarks to yours.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This seems simple enough to me...people who hate Obama and have hated him since the election started, will find flaws in all that he does, no matter what it is. Those who loved Bush when he was in office and continue to love him will laud his efforts. And vice/versa. People will never break out of what amounts to a party bias. And everyone will always (myself included) think that THEY are the one who is being objective and everyone else is biased and influenced. Very few people actually have the ability to look at an issue with no bias or emotion.

Personally, I saw good job, Bush. That was a good move and I think that he's the right person to have done it.

And does anyone seriously think that he didn't talk to Obama about it??? It was a conscious decision again, for reasons that we may not know or understand.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do.

Not even a symbolic one like sending his VP.

This is no surprise to me at all. When Obama came to our town, he refused to get off the bus until all LEO's were behind the bus so he would not be seen/photographed with anyone in uniform.

Girl I work with, her brother was in the military and was there when Obama came to the base. Obama looked at the ground and walked straight to where he had to go without ONCE looking up at the soldiers there saluting him or acknowledged their presence in any way.

This is the type of behavior that Obama is known for.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People will never break out of what amounts to a party bias. And everyone will always (myself included) think that THEY are the one who is being objective and everyone else is biased and influenced. Very few people actually have the ability to look at an issue with no bias or emotion.

Personally, I saw good job, Bush. That was a good move and I think that he's the right person to have done it.

Well said!

BTW Actually, I'm the one who's always objective. You just happen to agree with me on this.

Oh, and to Punisher... Chill dude. Obama doesn't disrespect our soldiers. Those impressions of yours and your friends sound pretty biased to me. And as you can see above.... I'm objective!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well said!

BTW Actually, I'm the one who's always objective. You just happen to agree with me on this.

Oh, and to Punisher... Chill dude. Obama doesn't disrespect our soldiers. Those impressions of yours and your friends sound pretty biased to me. And as you can see above.... I'm objective!

I would say that having a bias one would have to pre-judge a situation or person before hand. At the time, I didn't care about Obama one way or another, but when he came to our town and my fellow LEO's (friends/coworkers) were treated very poorly by him it does tend to color my view AFTER that.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
This seems simple enough to me...people who hate Obama and have hated him since the election started, will find flaws in all that he does, no matter what it is. Those who loved Bush when he was in office and continue to love him will laud his efforts. And vice/versa.

That's essentially my take on it. Just as Obama had staunch opposition upon being elected, so did Bush. Some people called Bush a Nazi; now others are calling Obama the same.

Based on these strongly held preconceptions people find meaning whether there is any to be found:

• Michael Moore found meaning in President Bush listening to a storybook in an elementary class during the attacks on 9/11.
  • Phil Berg found meaning in Senator Obama's refusal to turn his birth certificate over.
And on and on. Obama was criticized for not wearing a US flag lapel pin and then was accused of being disingenuous when he started wearing one. If he doesn't go to Fort Hood he hates soldiers, just as President Bush was accused of disliking black people after he let Hurricane Katrina hit NOLA. If he does go to Fort Hood, he's grandstanding.

The 'liberal blogger' is now some kind of sage because he likes the Bushes; what were conservatives and Republicans saying about him before?

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Baseless, cowardly, inflammatory rhetoric on the blogger's part.

Does anyone really think that Obama, on 9-11, would sympathize with terrorists? What reality are people living in?

I can tell you one thing Obama wouldn't have done post 9-11, and that's invade a country that had nothing to do with it. Bush gets to wear that $1 trillion, 6,000 dead, 50,000 wounded boo-boo.

Latest Discussions