lets talk herbs

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, I would have to say its more cost effective to buy plastic jow bottles as opposed to glass. Though I always store mine in glass containers, personally don't care for the plastic. But I knew some dit da jow sellers and they payed well under a $1 for each plastic jow verses the glass which was more.

And of course shipping would be much cheaper for plastic verses glass as well.

The reason that jow should be kept in glass bottles is that, depending on the jow, some of the agents in the herbs can leach chemicals out of the plastic bottles.

Hibiscus flower is not used in jows. It can be used as a colorant and flavoring for herbal teas (typically with rose hips), and has beneficial effects on the digestive system. I have also heard of it being used for scalp conditions as it has cooling properties. Hibiscus root bark is frequently used in Chinese herbal medicine for intestinal complaints.

Xue Jie (Dragon's Blood) is frequently used in jows as it is a strong blood mover. No relation to hibiscus, however.

Best,

Steve

Last edited:

General_Tso

White Belt
Reaction score
It is the Flying Dragon Liniment he has.

From the Wiki: "Traditional Chinese Medical theory states that pain is caused by Qi and Blood not moving in the channels and muscle tissue. The herbs in this liniment are formulated to stop pain by warming and moving Qi and Blood in the affected area. This liniment may be used for any type of muscle or joint pain."

Sounds like it does the same thing as the Dit Da Jow.

Thanks for all the links as well.

OP
prairiemantis

prairiemantis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone here has tried tom bisio's tendon liniment? if so what are your thoughts

OP
prairiemantis

prairiemantis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey everyone

so im here to report success in sprouting american ginseng...harding wild mountain herb and ginseng farms did me right with good seed last year, its now spring time and i got some growing. he told me the two most dangerous things to the ginseng is the sun and man. one is fixed with shade nets or trees the other with buckshot in the backside. kind funny, but probably true. now lets see in ten years if im anywhere near my "spot" to harvest.....

any recent thoughts on herbs these days? i did make up a batch of the tom bisio tendon liniment from 'tooth in the tiger mouth' , just pulled it up not too long ago after about a year of darkness so thats kind of cool to see. not so much a jow for every day training as much as it is for old aches if i recall, i figured it wouldn't hurt to have around.

also i found a bottle of dit da i made with my sifu like 8 years ago, sitting in a plastic jug sittin in a closet, the plastic looked funky. so id for sure say switch bottles if you have em in plastic. i actually did dump the jow out it looked so weird. too bad it was a super strong liniment. but yes id say it leached the plastic.

man i got terrible spelling and grammar in this thread. ill try to be a bit more aware.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to see if I can find out if the jow I bought has cinnabar in it, but if I can't, I'm not really very keen to just toss it. I mean, I chewed up one (or was it two?) mercury oral thermometers as a kid, played with pure mercury on a couple of occasions and also regularly used mercurechrome on cuts and scrapes too. And I survived ingesting other questionable substances in the late 60's and 70's. Folks will tell you I'm already mad as a hatter (hatters--another group subject to high levels of mercury exposure). How much more harm could a little externally applied jow do now. But I won't buy any more until I can verify that it's cinnabar-free.
A kindred spirit. I've been splashing around with hydro-floric for the last twenty years.
Sean

OP
prairiemantis

prairiemantis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A kindred spirit. I've been splashing around with hydro-floric for the last twenty years.
Sean

hehehehe ya that sounds like a good idea....i totally assume your kidding.

so i was drying some capsicum in my dehydrator for later use....this produced a wicked
'tear gas affect in the house....*note to self,dont do that.*

Latest Discussions