legendary fight between masters...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Windmilling" punches are part of Shaolin Long Fist practice-of course, you know that. :rolleyes:

More to the point, I believe the fight was between a Wu Taiji guy and a Tibetan white crane guy. I can understand why someone at Hanzou's level of comprehension would call what he sees "windmilling", which speaks volumes. I'm no longer inclined to offer him an education and he is welcome to believe what he wants. My comment here is really just to let Elder know, it's not shaolin, it's Tibetan crane. Funny thing is, it's the Taiji guy who is doing the "windmilling" < snicker snicker > but some folks (and I'm not referring to Elder here) wouldn't know the difference anyway. But that's not important. And anyone who thinks that what is going on is "windmilling" deserves to be snickered at.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except "windmilling" was exactly what was going on. It tends to happen when you have two individuals who can't fight their way out of a paper bag. They both did that same motion at different points in that "fight".

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except "windmilling" was exactly what was going on. It tends to happen when you have two individuals who can't fight their way out of a paper bag. They both did that same motion at different points in that "fight".
Snicker snicker.
School is closed. Believe what you want. The comment wasn't meant for you anyway.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How did Funakoshi really feel about jiyu kumite (free fighting)?
Well this is what Richard Kim said in an article about GF in Blackbelt magazine:

When he moved to Japan in 1922, he stayed with other Okinawans at a students’ dormitory in Tokyo. He lived in a small room alongside the entrance and would clean the dormitory during the day when the students were in class. At night, he would teach them karate. After a short time, he’d earned sufficient money to open a dojo.

Funakoshi started visiting the Shichi Tokudo, a barracks located on palace grounds, every other day to teach and was always accompanied by Hidenori Otsuka, one of his most brilliant students.

In 1927 three senior students decided that the kata practice they had been focusing on was not enough. They introduced jiyu kumite (free fighting) in their training, so they created protective clothing and wore kendo masks to shield their faces against hard strikes. Funakoshi heard about these bouts and, when he could not discourage them — he considered them belittling to the art of karate — he stopped coming to the Shichi Tokudo.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TSDTexan, you would be better off writing articles. As seems to be the pattern with the long twisting histories you write, you obviously know the answer to the question you ask but are waiting to contradict it with something questionable.

The thing is I'm not that into the history except as a guide to applying the art. So continuing a historical debate in a thread whose point you refuse to give is a non starter. Suffice to say that I disagree about Funakoshi's beliefs on sparring, about the relevance of the jutsu/do distinction in GF's teaching and that there is ever a useful conclusion to be drawn from a challenge match. And please don't put words in my mouth. I never once suggested that Funakoshi was any sort of Saint.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ballen, I see you disagreed with my posts. does that mean you think that was good fighting? Is that how you fight?? LOL

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FC, I see bad fighting. Especially considering these guys are "Masters"? What do you see. I'm curious.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
FC, I see bad fighting. Especially considering these guys are "Masters"? What do you see. I'm curious.
I see a spectator event.

Given that I study one of the methods seen there, I can actually see the principles in action, which is saying something given the grainy and poor quality of the film. But I know what I am looking at, beyond simply a fight, or "bad fighting" as you call it.

Am I impressed with this? No. I don't know the status of the Taiji guy at that time, but the crane guy was a young man at the time, not a "master". So the whole thing about masters can't fight, well...

Does this exhibition bother me? Not in the least. It is an event that was, in that era, rarely captured on film. Does that man represent me, or the system I study? Nope. He represents himself, so far as I am concerned. This event happened a decade or two before I was born, it means nothing to me. There is all kinds of bad fighting going on out there. None of it means anything to me. Some people get pretty hung up over what they see on video.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. Many "Masters" can't fight. Reminds me of Boztepe and Cheung.

Ballen, I see you disagreed with my posts. does that mean you think that was good fighting? Is that how you fight?? LOL
Who are these "many" masters that you know that makes you qualified to make that statement? That's what i disagree with. How many masters do you know that can't fight?

As for what it looked like I don't know enough about what was going in off a short clip to make that determination. As to how my fighting will look well I don't fight.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who are these "many" masters that you know that makes you qualified to make that statement? That's what i disagree with. How many masters do you know that can't fight?

As for what it looked like I don't know enough about what was going in off a short clip to make that determination. As to how my fighting will look well I don't fight.
It's not hard to see what's going on there. Bad fighting.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How did Funakoshi really feel about jiyu kumite (free fighting)?
Well this is what Richard Kim said in an article about GF in Blackbelt magazine:

When he moved to Japan in 1922, he stayed with other Okinawans at a students’ dormitory in Tokyo. He lived in a small room alongside the entrance and would clean the dormitory during the day when the students were in class. At night, he would teach them karate. After a short time, he’d earned sufficient money to open a dojo.

Funakoshi started visiting the Shichi Tokudo, a barracks located on palace grounds, every other day to teach and was always accompanied by Hidenori Otsuka, one of his most brilliant students.

In 1927 three senior students decided that the kata practice they had been focusing on was not enough. They introduced jiyu kumite (free fighting) in their training, so they created protective clothing and wore kendo masks to shield their faces against hard strikes. Funakoshi heard about these bouts and, when he could not discourage them — he considered them belittling to the art of karate — he stopped coming to the Shichi Tokudo.

Fortunately Funakoshi's later students ended the practice of not practicing free sparring. Kata training is simply not enough to develop proper fighting technique, as this episode and several others have demonstrated.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Give it a rest dude. you and I both know there are "Masters" out there that can't fight. Are you ignorant?

Latest Discussions