Legal self defense tool for untrained?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they aren't trained in the use of the weapon, they shouldn't be carrying a weapon. If they're worried about self defesne, recommend a good instructor.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or as the late great Jeff Cooper pointed out, 'Owning a gun doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician'.

I hate to disagree with Mr. Cooper, but I would say it makes you armed, but it doesn't make you capable.:) (can't find a wink).

Cooper's point is that the human mind is the weapon.....and the gun is merely a tool. A mind unable to utilize the tool effectively IS unarmed.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am helping some friends of mine who don't train in martial arts, to find some tool or device they can use to defend against an assailant. I know there's such things like pepper spray, but don't know what else is available. They don't like to use a pocket knife, cuz they're likely to hurt themselves.

I'd like to know what you guys think is effective, easy to use, and what drawbacks or good points a device has...

Thanks!
Common sense and awareness: the most effective tools for self protection. These two things will protect you more than all of the training and weaponry we have access to will.

As far as weapons go, if they are not trained in their use, they will be more at risk, as they will have a false confidence.

Best thing that you can do, if you are of sufficient skill, is to teach them some good, basic moves that use gross motor coordination. If they truly feel that they must improvise a weapon, make them learn these basics first.

Good improvised weapons that will not attract attention:

A cane
A rolled up magazine
Keys
Flashlights

These are items that require very little training to use with some degree of effectiveness and will not get you any concealed weapons charges. With the exception of the cane, they are fairly common items.

Daniel

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a thing called The Stinger , no not a missile system. My instructor brought some back from your country.
I take it your American .
Its a molded plastic thing that fits in your hand with a point coming out through your knuckles , like a knuckle duster , but it can also be used for accupressure .

Its a force multiplier , and it doesn't hinder the function of your hand at all , I can still do trapping while it is in my hand . I gave it to my wife to use , but the thing is she has basic Wing Chun deflection skills as well .

So its not going to be much use to your friends unless they know how to block an incoming strike and have basic punching skills so they can get into range to use the Stinger.

It might be illegal over there anyway , it is over here. But if you teach your friends some basic blocking and basic punching then it might be an option , and if they don't want to do that.

Tell them to get off their lazy arses , find a school and do some training.
As my mother always used to be fond of saying , God helps those , that help themselves.
It would count as brass knuckles in many places, and thus often be illega.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It would count as brass knuckles in many places, and thus often be illega.
It would also require them to avoid being injured, incapacitated or killed and effectively land a punch in such a way that this device will inflict a wound that will incapacitate or kill an attacker.

If they are so uninitiated that they must have some aid for self defense, this is very unlikely, legalities aside. More than likely, they would have false confidence and get themselves killed or they will anger the attacker further and get killed.

Daniel

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
two legs and feet running in the opposite direction....

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A simple pushbutton ballpoint pen is the best. Perfectly legal and you can cut the hell out of someone with it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I have to say to many of the posters above me is:

If it's so easy to take my weapon away, then screw it, I'll just take it back again, if it's so damn easy. We can play patty cake back and forth for hours, He takes it, I take it he takes it I take it, etc.

Seriously.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Simply, don't use a self-defense tool. Not because of the reasons listed before, necessarily, but because it will give your buddy a false sense of confidence. If your friend gets attacked, he'll rely mentally on that tool, but things are chaotic. He could get his azz kicked while still in the process of reaching for the tool. or he could drop it. Having nothing will keep him on a higher alert and making him more likely to survive.

And when it comes down to it, if you're going to have a toll, you've got to learn how to use it. If he's going to get a tool, he has to train anyway for it to be of any value.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
two legs and feet running in the opposite direction....
Probably the best defense for those that refuse to train......and even it is woefully inadequate without the situational awareness that tells you when you need to start running!

Fortunately, in modern society we are all 'relatively' safe from real violence.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are many people in the "tactical pen" dept nowadays. I wouldnt spend 200.00 on a pen when I can do equal damage with a .05 cent bic or a mechanical pencil. I like them and think they are tacti-cool but there are way more inexpensive options out there.

If "untrained" individuals are looking for personal protection there is no use advocating fine tools for such a purpose..If they cant use thier hands and feet then they can use a knife or kubotan or whatever... The best advice I can give to an "untrained" individual is ...either dont be there at all... or get a gun and a ccw... it doesnt take much to pull a trigger. In fact guns have been turning untrained individuals into killers for some time now.

All in all... dont have it if you cant use it and by no means do you put your hands on it if you are not intent to put it through them and anyone else who is deemed a threat... Better of learning to utilize that brain and naked body first before trying to adorn it with snap on labor saving tools.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the hands of a prepared mind, a pen is a dreadfully lethal weapon......in the hands of an unprepared mind even the most powerful weapon is useless.

Latest Discussions