Defensive knife on campus?

OP
D

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good points, I just meant intimidation as in if there were more than one person around after I use it. I'm not going to let ANYONE know I have it, unlike some of my unwise class members. Don't pull it out to "be cool".

I know it would be last ditch thing, once it is pulled out someone will be wounded (at best) from the elevation, as jks pointed out. Oh, and I know the sunfish is basically worthless for self defense. The handle is too smooth as well, it could slide right out of my hands if I'm sweating.

As for purpose, it would be for my longer walks in the dark to/from class (sometimes off campus, thanks to the bus). Way too frequent for campus security.

I agree with the pen. I'll get the zebra f-701. Completely unassuming, durable for stabbing, and something I can use without getting odd looks. Doesn't have a glass breaker, but really don't need one for it's purpose.

For the knife, if I choose to get one I'm leaning toward the spyderco cricket. Looks small enough to not cause a bulge in my pocket either.

I'll have to look into the flashlights, and see my options for pure self defense classes.

FatMan

White Belt
Reaction score
I understand that on campus, as other places, the cops can't be everywhere. They have places where attacks are easily carried out. Sometimes classes are late ...

Personally, I like my handgun for defense, but understand wanting to stay within the rules.

Is pepper spray a legal option in your location?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good points, I just meant intimidation as in if there were more than one person around after I use it. I'm not going to let ANYONE know I have it, unlike some of my unwise class members. Don't pull it out to "be cool".

I know it would be last ditch thing, once it is pulled out someone will be wounded (at best) from the elevation, as jks pointed out. Oh, and I know the sunfish is basically worthless for self defense. The handle is too smooth as well, it could slide right out of my hands if I'm sweating.

As for purpose, it would be for my longer walks in the dark to/from class (sometimes off campus, thanks to the bus). Way too frequent for campus security.

I agree with the pen. I'll get the zebra f-701. Completely unassuming, durable for stabbing, and something I can use without getting odd looks. Doesn't have a glass breaker, but really don't need one for it's purpose.

For the knife, if I choose to get one I'm leaning toward the spyderco cricket. Looks small enough to not cause a bulge in my pocket either.

I'll have to look into the flashlights, and see my options for pure self defense classes.

Flashlight-Maglite-2.jpg

Latest Discussions