left wing movies

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My iaido instructor's teacher was Dr. Gordon Warner, who lived in Japan before WW2, fought the Japanese in the U.S. Marines, losing his leg in the process, and then returned to Japan after the war and lived their till his death. In fact, We were told he carried a Japanese sword with him during the war that was given to him by one of his teacher's in Japan.

Warner sensei was a legend-was your instructor Ken Pitchford?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If generation kill is a fair treatment, it would probably be because the writer actually lived with the troops. this puts a different perspective on the men and women who actually fight in war. I may try to watch this series, although when it first came out I thought it would just be another hit piece on the military. It looks like it is on disc so maybe I'll give it a try.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Another positive movie, Independence Day, but the director refused to make a sequel because George bush was in office.

The reported reasons were far more complex than this-in fact, they had nothing to do with Bush, and more to do with Fox studios, Will Smith, and not having a good idea for a script. Rumor has it that it's a go, now.....

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another documentary that i havn't seen but have heard good things about is "Brothers at War." It is about one brother who is a civillian with two brothers who are soldiers and he goes and embeds with their units. Something like that. The brother explores why his brothers enlisted and what motivates their service.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Roland Emmerich, director of Independence Day:

After Independence Day brought us Bill Pullman as the inspirational President Whitmore, Emmerich didn't feel the spirit of the film was compatible with the times of the Bush administration:
"In Independence Day, it was about a king who leads his country into a fight against an outside invader. I didn't want to make that movie during the Bush years. It was not thought that George W. Bush would have made a great king. Now with Obama, it's another story."

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would be him Elder 999. From what Ken told us Dr. Warner was a really great guy. Funny too. Do you know the story of the Naginata match.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Roland Emmerich, director of Independence Day:

After Independence Day brought us Bill Pullman as the inspirational President Whitmore, Emmerich didn't feel the spirit of the film was compatible with the times of the Bush administration:
"In Independence Day, it was about a king who leads his country into a fight against an outside invader. I didn't want to make that movie during the Bush years. It was not thought that George W. Bush would have made a great king. Now with Obama, it's another story."

Yeah, that's what he says now-before Obama was elected, and while Bush was in office, it was all about money, Fox, Will Smith and a script......

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the way it was told to me, Dr. Warner was visiting a school that taught Naginata. While he was there he was asked to demonstrate with one of the women at the Naginata school. The woman who was going to assist in the demonstration did not realize he only had one leg. So, he squares off against the lady, and Ken said he noticed that Dr. Warner was leading with his artificial leg. This was unusual because he never did that. Well, the lady comes in and executes a hard strike at his lead leg, shouting a loud Kiai. the leg comes completely off, and flies across the room. The Naginata lady starts screaming in shock. Apparently Dr. Warner thought it was pretty funny. That is the Naginata story.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree that Hollywood does have a leftist bent.

I would actually submit to you that these movies have less to do with the military, and more about the culture that spawned it, supposedly.

Latest Discussions