Hollywood propaganda, for the wrong side

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From John Nolte at Bighollywood.com, a story that the Radical muslim terrorist said part of his motivation for the shooting came from scenes from the movie "Redacted" which was used in a progaganda clip on youtube.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...-motivated-by-hollywoods-anti-war-propaganda/

An Islamist propaganda video roughly matching Uka’s description is in fact to be found on YouTube. On November 20, 2010, a German-language YouTube user going by the name “24jasmina” uploaded the video under the title “American Soldiers Rape our Sisters! Awake Oh Ummah.”
The video begins with roughly 80 seconds of footage apparently showing American soldiers marauding in a family’s home and raping a teenage girl. The footage appears to be filmed with a night vision camera and comes complete with vulgar and incriminating dialogue. At one point during the rape scene, gunfire can be heard off-camera and then a soldier on camera says: “I f****** killed them all.”

The same footage can also be seen on YouTube under the English-language title “Footage of Abeer Qassim.” The description specifies “rape footage of Abeer Qassim.” Unlike the German-language YouTube page, however, the English-language page indicates that the footage comes from the Brian De Palma film Redacted.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's horrible. However, as some of your other posts have shown, it's pretty common for people to take things out of context and warp them for their own political agenda.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True enough, and I don't believe in censorship in any way, but can you ever imagine this happening in world war 2?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
why would depalma make this movie, KNOWING it would cost lives unless that was his goal, since it was NOT a true story?

Depalma is a traitor IMO

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
True enough, and I don't believe in censorship in any way, but can you ever imagine this happening in world war 2?

It happened all the time in World War 2. Both sides had enormous propaganda machines that twisted anything they could coming from the other side to portray the enemy as decadent, cruel, dangerous, whatever served them. In the US, pacifist groups routinely distributed propaganda against the war.

The only difference is that the stuff can reach more people now - which means its statistically more likely to reach some kind of whacko or another. Also, during WWII everybody who liked blowing **** up was on a front somewhere.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It happened all the time in World War 2. Both sides had enormous propaganda machines that twisted anything they could coming from the other side to portray the enemy as decadent, cruel, dangerous, whatever served them. In the US, pacifist groups routinely distributed propaganda against the war.

Amen.

all sides had huge propaganda machines during WW2, covering both sides of the story. Embellishing their own achievments while hiding all information to the contrary. And some of it is still believed today. The 'French surrender monkey' meme is one of them. It was created to prevent American citizens to take the German capabilities too seriously. And what better way than to paint the French that way. They also sat on the information about the concentration camps initially to avoid Americans thinking about it as a 'Jew' problem and resisting the efforts to join the war.

Meanwhile the Germans portrayed the concentration camps as places where jews would live in clean, family oriented units. Not in luxury, but in humane conditions. I saw one of those propaganda movies in high school history class. They were created to prevent the German populace from resisting too much, and to give them a way in which they could support the deportation of Jews without their conscience getting in the way. And of course those movies were not shared and shown by the allies when news of the concentration camps reached the general population, to make sure that noone would sympathise with the Germans.

Propaganda has always, and will always be a large part of every conflict. These days it is not as easy as it used to be, because it is much aharder to restrict access to information. Otoh it has also become much more difficult to know which information originated where and whether it was planted or not. The game has just become more complex.

In any case, don't get too worked up over propaganda because then you'll just be humming along to the tune of the piper in the background without even realizing he's there. Always be aware of the Wizard's first rule.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get a real kick out of some of the WWII propaganda, it's so clumsy by today's refined by Madison Ave. standards.

a55_vd.jpg
a55_Carelesstalk.jpg
a55_mother.jpg
a55_gee.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get a real kick out of some of the WWII propaganda, it's so clumsy by today's refined by Madison Ave. standards.

a55_vd.jpg
a55_Carelesstalk.jpg
a55_mother.jpg
a55_gee.jpg

LOL, I suppose. But that was at a time when 'going to town' (you know the next bigger dwelling, like Mancato, was a huge deal, that only happened once, maybe twice a year...)

Is it a good or a bad thing?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

a55_vd.jpg
a55_Carelesstalk.jpg
a55_mother.jpg
a55_gee.jpg

These links are broken for me.
Which is weird, because if I open them directly in my browser, they work.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry, you missed what I was trying to get at. The Radical muslim website was using an American made movie, Brian Depalma's "Redacted" for its propaganda. My point is you would never have seen Americans, in world war 2 depicting american soldiers in a bad light in a movie, which could have been used by the enemy. You have that here today.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, you missed what I was trying to get at. The Radical muslim website was using an American made movie, Brian Depalma's "Redacted" for its propaganda. My point is you would never have seen Americans, in world war 2 depicting american soldiers in a bad light in a movie, which could have been used by the enemy. You have that here today.
True, but this isn't WWIII.
Sean

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are obvious good guys and bad guys in this conflict, just like world war 2 and Brian Depalma and the other people who make our guys look bad, and then send it forth into the world are despicable.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are suggesting we treat Muslims like they are the Japanese, in WWII, right? No shades of grey, just black and white. Is that what you are suggesting?
Sean

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the radical muslim terrorists would be the bad guys. The soldiers of the United States and it's allies would be the good guys.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about portraying radical muslim terrorists who rape, torture, and kill innocent men, women and children, simply because they are non-muslims, as radical muslim terrorists who rape, torture and kill innocent men, women and children simply because they are non-muslims. And then you could show our guys killing the radical islamic terrorists in order to save innocent men women and children. That might be a good starting point. Instead of say showing our guys as the rapists and killers. The perspective of hollywood is a tad bit off don't you think?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know that everything that the radical muslim terrorists do is bad because even if they open up hospitals, or give out food, it is simply to further their abilitly to rape, torture and kill innocent men women and children who are or are not muslim. The "Al Capone ran soup kitchens" stuff is still pretty silly, especially when applied to radical muslim terrorists.

Latest Discussions