Learning Korean

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay, well its' been about two months since I started taking korean lessons. I would have to say my teacher is much tuffer then my Kwanjangnim ever was! She is about my age, I think but she really makes me feel like I'm 10 years old! I really like the classes, but it has been along time since I've been in a classroom that you didn't wear a dobok! I think I,m getting better. I also have rosetta stone that I have been doing. I don't know if anyone else has some tips for me, but anything would help.

Thanks..

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wish I could help but I have been told my Korean has a definite Norsky accent!

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How does the Rosetta Stone work? I'm married to a native Korean, and I keep threatening to get it and not tell her so I'll know what she and her family are saying about me.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Get it. It's high but well worth the price. Hubby has it from work, though he got lazy on it, but that's another story.

There are also good CD programs available you can pop in the CD player in your car while you commute.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, as a child/teenager, I could speak Korean fairly well. I could read and write, although i didnt know what every word i was reading meant. But as I got older, I used it less and less so now I can only remember the typical dumb American tourist phrases. Besides the obvious TKD related terms. I got the rosetta stone for frre from work also. But I have been so overwhelmed with everything that has been going on in my life now, I really have not had a chance to sit down and focus on it the way I want to. Since I will not make it to Korea this year, I am aiming for next Oct. I plan on sitting down and really beginning to brush back up so I don't keep the "tourist" language only.

As for learning it... You're doing it the right way. I learned from friends, family, and girlfriends!!! In person from a person is the best.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a friend of mine watches Korean soaps on the internet. While you might not understand much (at least at first) it helps to get the rhythm of the language - I think.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How does the Rosetta Stone work? I'm married to a native Korean, and I keep threatening to get it and not tell her so I'll know what she and her family are saying about me.
It shows you a picture and gives you four words, you have to pick the word that matches the picture. It also gives the spelling in korean which really helps. I found out that I wasn't saying the words correctly when I started with my teacher, but now that I know the korean letters it easyer to do the program.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, well its' been about two months since I started taking korean lessons. I would have to say my teacher is much tuffer then my Kwanjangnim ever was! She is about my age, I think but she really makes me feel like I'm 10 years old! I really like the classes, but it has been along time since I've been in a classroom that you didn't wear a dobok! I think I,m getting better. I also have rosetta stone that I have been doing. I don't know if anyone else has some tips for me, but anything would help.

Thanks..

I was going to suggest the rosetta stone program, but seeing that you already have it, that pretty much takes care of my first suggestion. You may want to do one or both of the following:

1) talk to the inst. and see if she'd work with you outside of the class.

2) work with other students who have a better grasp of the language.

Anything is better than nothing. Good luck. :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was learning Korean, in Korea, I combined Rosetta Stone, with Pimsleur language CDs, and reading local Korean publications. Many areas have a Korean population (at the minimum a Korean church) that will offer some things to read. Hangul is pretty easy to read as you know...understanding it is a whole separate story.

Latest Discussions