LE Myths and misconceptions

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember going on a lights and sirens call where I was slowing down to cross an intersection on red....a guy gave me the finger and kept going through his green light in front of me. He probably assumed that since I was going on a call I wasn't going to be able to do anything to him.

Unluckily for him my call was canceled at that exact moment......

:)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Ain't it fun when karma catches up...

Guy tried to cut through a funeral procession once. One of our motors happened to be right there -- and informed the driver that he was now going to the graveside. Unless, of course, he wanted the ticket.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I remember going on a lights and sirens call where I was slowing down to cross an intersection on red....a guy gave me the finger and kept going through his green light in front of me. He probably assumed that since I was going on a call I wasn't going to be able to do anything to him.

Unluckily for him my call was canceled at that exact moment......

:)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Awesome! There's never an excuse for being a dick!

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this is myths, misconceptions, true or not.

But do police officers have to pay to buy a gun or bullets? Or does the police department give that to you? Going to the shooting range is free or not if you a cop.

Do most police department pay part of the cost of martial arts training? Or only the first two years of martial arts training?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

But do police officers have to pay to buy a gun or bullets? Or does the police department give that to you? Going to the shooting range is free or not if you a cop.

Do most police department pay part of the cost of martial arts training? Or only the first two years of martial arts training?

There's about 15,000 Police Departments in the United States. (ballpark) They have different budgets (from nothing to next to nothing), different resources, different rules, different personnel pools to draw from, different needs, different threats and different histories.

Tough to define.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In UK weapons are issued, we do have armed sections of police and we have one rather good force is permanently armed. No force pays for martial arts training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It depends on the agency. Some do require an officer to purchase their handgun; many issue them. Some provide ammo to practice on department ranges or commercial ranges, many do not. There's just a wide range of practices, based on department budget and what they've chosen to do over time.

I'm not aware of any departments paying for martial arts training. You might get your agency to send you to an approved DT class, maybe even a special seminar somewhere, but it's liable to take some serious explaining and convincing unless DT training is part of your duties. Especially with tight budgets...

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the agency. Some do require an officer to purchase their handgun; many issue them. Some provide ammo to practice on department ranges or commercial ranges, many do not. There's just a wide range of practices, based on department budget and what they've chosen to do over time.

I'm not aware of any departments paying for martial arts training. You might get your agency to send you to an approved DT class, maybe even a special seminar somewhere, but it's liable to take some serious explaining and convincing unless DT training is part of your duties. Especially with tight budgets...

May be that thing in other counties than the US.

An Aikido instructor go to the police station to teach new officers Aikido.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are urban myths floating around that all the coppers here in Russia are drunk.

Bollocks. Only half of them are.

Latest Discussions