Law Makers

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the U.S. we elect Law Makers. They justify their existence by making law, it's their job, it's why we elect them. Yet in my humble opinion we seem to have too damn many laws. Do we have a suitable process for Deleting Laws? If not, do you think we need one?

If you could do away with any law, what would it be and why?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
process, yes, suitable? nope.
It is still illegal in some places to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket. Why anybody would want to is beyond me.

And while you are at it, disassemble your car and hide it under a tarp should you encounter horses on the road.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Antiquated laws like these are amusing, especially since they don't get enforced (hopefully) they should be cleaned off the books no doubt. But I was hoping some of you would ask to remove laws that DO get enforced and affect your life in some way.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it takes the proverbial act of congress.

I remember the state had it up for a vote to remove the prohibition of mixed marriages from the books. It did not pass! Shocking, at the end of the 20th century!

But I think, as they have the right to vote to put laws on the books, they can vote them off as well.
But that would mean work, no? Finding the bad laws, leading them, making sure it says what everybody thinks, etc....

So, if it's federal, bring it to the attention of your congress man and senator, if it's statewide, the representatives there, and on a local level, city/county legislative.....

Success rate?
probably closer to zero.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally think it isn't any of the governments business who a person chooses to marry. Freedom.... is supreme.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of the silly laws like the ice cream thing are not removed because they don't bother to be enforced and its more effort then its worth to remove it. Most people don't even know about the stupid laws on the books until someone writes an article about stupid laws on the books.

As to currently enforced laws yeah unless you got the money to lobby to get it changed your stuck with it

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ballen you've illustrated the point perfectly. We get new laws all the time and I don't recall ever having asked for any of them and I definitely did not reach into my wallet and send anybody money for them. Yet to get laws removed that aren't in keeping with my life, I have to lobby and pay. They should have a mechanism for removing laws that is just as efficient as the mechanism that makes them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of the silly laws like the ice cream thing are not removed because they don't bother to be enforced and its more effort then its worth to remove it. Most people don't even know about the stupid laws on the books until someone writes an article about stupid laws on the books.

As to currently enforced laws yeah unless you got the money to lobby to get it changed your stuck with it

No, these silly laws are on the books until somebody with an axe to grind digs them up and uses them.
As you always say: the law is the law. We don't get to pick which we follow or enforce.
Which we do, but that's another matter.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, these silly laws are on the books until somebody with an axe to grind digs them up and uses them.
As you always say: the law is the law. We don't get to pick which we follow or enforce.
Which we do, but that's another matter.
Now your talking about 2 different things. A law like you posted about the ice cream won't ever been enforced even if you have an ax to grrind.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now your talking about 2 different things. A law like you posted about the ice cream won't ever been enforced even if you have an ax to grrind.

We are talking about laws on the books that are not enforced.
I am sure there are a few cases around here where some old law could be trotted out to make trouble.

As the people of Kauffmann Texas...an old law designed to keep people from selling horse meat as beef was being used to shut the local meat packer down (outside forces) jobs when poof, and a lot of other things. The meat was not even sold in the US, it was exported.

You are being your argumentative self again, hanging your argument on the ice cream cone. That is a silly law, because, sheesh, who would want to put an ice cream cone in the pocket anyhow.

but would you want to have to take your car apart because there is a horse on the road?! Hey, it's the law, right!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are talking about laws on the books that are not enforced.
I am sure there are a few cases around here where some old law could be trotted out to make trouble.

As the people of Kauffmann Texas...an old law designed to keep people from selling horse meat as beef was being used to shut the local meat packer down (outside forces) jobs when poof, and a lot of other things. The meat was not even sold in the US, it was exported.

You are being your argumentative self again, hanging your argument on the ice cream cone. That is a silly law, because, sheesh, who would want to put an ice cream cone in the pocket anyhow.

but would you want to have to take your car apart because there is a horse on the road?! Hey, it's the law, right!

I'm not hanging my hat on anything. You picked the ice cream law not me. It is what it is.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

Obviously someone, at sometime did and it was a big enough epidemic to pass a law about it.

Latest Discussions