Lance Corporal, it hurts to breath

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry to go slightly off topic here. The banana myth must be busted. They are not even the best sources of potassium available. Examples of foods that are higher in potassium than bananas, per serving:

Yogurt
Fresh spinach
Apricots
Cod
Halibut
Pork
Rockfish
Beet greens
Tomato paste
Blackstrap molasses (1 T)
cantaloupe

There are more, but that's just to give an idea that bananas are not the king supreme of potassium. If a recruit has access to these other foods, he should stock up his body on them regularly.

ETA: oh of course, I forgot the best part -- potatoes, sweet and regular, also do the job at nearly twice the rate as bananas:)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer your other questions, even if it gets better, you can't serve. If it has EVER appeared on any medical report, even childhood asthma disqualifies you.

And on that note, if you goes into a private doctor's report and they find something, one of a few things can happen....1) You can hide it from the military if you pass through MEPS. Then they can find it later and you can be article 15'd or court martialed for false enslitment or falsifying a government document (incidentally, the same as when they ask you if you've ever done drugs. If you say no and they ever find out....you're screwed). 2) It will just get to the military anyway, they do ask for that stuff occassionally - old medical records and such. That can happen before OR after you're in with much different consequences for the two. Either way, you end up not in the military. Bottom line is that if you know, TELL THEM. DO NOT TRY TO HIDE IT. That is by far the dumbest thing that you can do. You are risking a lot if they ever find out.

Now with that said. I AM NOT, REPEAT, AM NOT saying that you should not get it checked out. IF you feel that it is impacting your health and may be a long term problem or cause long term damage, you have the duty to yourself to find out from a credible source what it is.

I have the same problem, even with running every day. When I push myself too hard, I have the same symptoms. Now, my normal runs....no problem. But it has gotten MUCH better since I started running regularly and knocking my time down....so basically I can push myself farther before it is a problem. But I also have recognized through many repetitions that it only happens when I push too hard and is not a recurring problem. I am also willing to deal with not knowing if it is something worse. I'm not getting an MEB (Medical Evaluation Board) and be Medically DQ'd over something like that. I've known three people who got kicked out over a single doctor's WRONG opinion. Even when refuted by other doctor's, they were gone. I knew another guy who got kicked out because a record of childhood asthma surfaced - and this guy was one of the fastest runners I've ever known, with no adult symptoms.

Bear in mind that asthma is just one possibility, it could be any number of things, you could be getting a cold. See what a doctor says, there's no point in worrying about what it might be.

Even the cramping next day can be caused purely by pushing yourself too hard. When I ran my fastest run time, my rib cage was sore for about 3 days, just like you describe. I think that I have the exact same problems. But I have never had asthma nor do I ever want to go to a doctor specifically asking about it. I know my limits, I know what happens when I push them.

As Morph says, it can be anything....personal opinion, you're pushing yourself too hard.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And don't go in to a doctor and tell him that you think you have asthma. If you've got him, let him find it. Describe the symptoms, but don't try to self diagnose.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And don't go in to a doctor and tell him that you think you have asthma. If you've got him, let him find it. Describe the symptoms, but don't try to self diagnose.
Which is often good advice anyway...

Go to the doc, and describe what happened. Make a note of the date, and if you think of it, check air quality and pollen reports. It may be as little as overstressed muscles, or simply responding to a crappy day... Don't tell the doc it's something worse!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer your other questions, even if it gets better, you can't serve. If it has EVER appeared on any medical report, even childhood asthma disqualifies you.

Are you sure this is still true? For all the services? They're issuing a lot of waivers these days...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you sure this is still true? For all the services? They're issuing a lot of waivers these days...

I'll give you that, there is a waiver for EVERYTHING, so I am sure that it is possible. The regulations still state the asthma disqualifies you - primarily from worldwide deployment status, which in most cases, counts you out from the service as a whole.

For medical waivers though, you need to convene an MEB - Medical Evaluation Board, which is a long, difficult, and painful process....and in the end, it comes down to the ranking doctor's call. Plus, it is difficult to get an MEB convened if you're not in the service yet. Once you're in, it is much easier, but it is usually a bad thing rather than a good thing. MEBs are known for kicking people out, not for keeping them in. My biggest worry would be that the MEB uncovers that you had knowledge of the condition before you joined and falsified documents. That's bad juju.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually just told one of the recruiters what happened (he called offering me an early ship to Basic, and I felt like I had to tell him why I might have to refuse). I told him everything, including the pain in my ribs, he said it was because I either didn't stretch well enough, or I'm just out of shape.

Keep in mind that these guys are rated and promoted based on how many warm bodies they send to boot camp.

PLEASE DO NOT assume this is your problem because 'one of the recruiters said.."

PLEASE DO go ahead with your plans to get checked out so you know what is going on with your health.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll give you that, there is a waiver for EVERYTHING, so I am sure that it is possible. The regulations still state the asthma disqualifies you - primarily from worldwide deployment status, which in most cases, counts you out from the service as a whole.

I actually have a budy who does have asthma, but just graduated from Basic with the Army.

Keep in mind that these guys are rated and promoted based on how many warm bodies they send to boot camp.

Actually, the recruiter who told me this is not my recruiter. And my recruiter is a Sergeant (instead of a Staff Sergeant) for a reason.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually have a budy who does have asthma, but just graduated from Basic with the Army.

Ok, so what are all of the facts surrounding this? When was he diagnosed? When/has he been treated? Treated in the last year? Did he require/get a waiver? Did he tell MEPS about it? Did MEPS discover it on their own? Did he hide the fact?

For every story of one person getting in, there's a story a one not getting in. There are always more details though.

I'm looking for the Marine regs, although I don't have access to the Marine pubs sites (since I'm not in the Marines). I have a Marine Capt friend here that I'll ask and see what he knows about current procedures. It is possible that they have recently changed policy due to the severe need for soliders, based on severity of the asthma.

I can guarantee you one thing though, if you need the regular use of an inhaler or the asthma is a recurring problem for you, its going to take a strong waiver to get you in.

The only thing that I can think of is that they are being more relaxed on childhood asthma and mild cases, but I can't imagine them letting even those cases slide without a waiver. You have to understand...the MOMENT that you sign on the dotted line, the US Government becomes medically responsible for you and any pre-existing conditions that you may have. They get pretty upset if you have something costly and you just didn't bother to tell them. If it develops while you're in, it is a different story, still an MEB, but they are now responsible for you, so they have to at least give care until you are separated in one way or another.

I can only speak with my 5 fives of experience in the military and leading troops, including plenty of E1-E3s. Also, probably more than my share of troops with MEBs and medical problems - definately more than I ever wanted to deal with!

Either way, get it checked out....and don't lie to the military. Just looking out for your best interests.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, the recruiter who told me this is not my recruiter. And my recruiter is a Sergeant (instead of a Staff Sergeant) for a reason.

Another one that you should have all of the facts about. Not to split hairs, but that's an NCO that you're talking about. In few days, NCO is going to be your new word for God. If he is a SGT instead of SSGT, it could be for MANY reasons, including not enough time in grade, PCS issues, disciplinary, who knows. I can't see him coming out to you and saying "Yep, I didn't get promoted because I didn't recruit enough people!"

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're just pushing too damn hard. Running is a gradual training sport. Hacking 1/3 of your previous best time off in one run is a very easy way to get hurt. I did it myself when I started running, and hurt my knees so bad I could only walk for 2 weeks. Train gradually and I am fairly sure you won't have this problem.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're just pushing too damn hard. Running is a gradual training sport. Hacking 1/3 of your previous best time off in one run is a very easy way to get hurt. I did it myself when I started running, and hurt my knees so bad I could only walk for 2 weeks. Train gradually and I am fairly sure you won't have this problem.
I'd just about bet money that this is probably true ... but again, an ounce of prevention ...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm not kidding. I should probably tell you what happened.

I was running with the Marines today, and we did whats called the IST (Initial Strength Test), which includes a mile and a half run. It's not long, but today I was really pushing myself. Passing is 13 minutes, perfect is 9. Normally (because I'm more of a sprinter) I do pretty bad. OK, normally I do 14-15 minutes. Today, I did 10 minutes. So, I took 4 minutes off my mile and half time in the last month.

I pushed myself really hard and had breathing cramps. I've started to get used to having them, but haven't gotten rid of them. Today with about a quarter mile left, my breathing cramps got horrid. I could only barely inhale (even when walking), and when I exhaled, I moaned. Imagine getting the wind knocked out of you, and then doing you best to sprint a quarter mile. So, you can figure I REALLY want some ideas how to get rid of/cure breathing cramps.

Anyone have any ideas?

Question...how long have you been preparing for this 1 1/2 mile run? I ask this because if you havent been training for it, and think that you're just going to be able to go out and run with ease, you will find that you're going to keep feeling like you have been. Sprinting and distance running are 2 different things. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of good cautionary words I'm glad to see.

CN, back in the days before I turned into a middle-aged blimp I used to run a lot. I got into 4-minute mile territory but even then found that adding more distance had a significant impact on time, much more so than would be proportional e.g. 1 mile in 4 minutes, 2 miles in 12.

I found the hard way that you can be fit and still not be able to meet a 'mark' because it was not what you trained for. Your body gets used to doing what you demand of it and doesn't like it if you change the goal posts. If you know you're a sprinter by nature but that distance running is going to be in your future then learning to pace yourself to a 'target' and not letting your natural inclination to 'speed' break through is going to be vital.

However, your symptoms suggest that it would really be wise to get checked out medically before pushing the envelope. A young, fit, chap should be less likely to suffer such a reaction and the fact that it happened is a 'flag' to look for a rational reason before something bad happens. My guess would be that you over-extended your rib-cage by trying to breathe too hard and that's what gave you pain in the floating-ribs/diaphram area. Of course, that's not a medical opinion, just layman whose had similar when I started pushing too hard too soon.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Question...how long have you been preparing for this 1 1/2 mile run? I ask this because if you havent been training for it, and think that you're just going to be able to go out and run with ease, you will find that you're going to keep feeling like you have been. Sprinting and distance running are 2 different things. :)

Well, that depends on how you look at it. I've been in the DEP (so, a recruit) since April. I've been working on my running for about 2 years (and only removing a few seconds a year, but that's a rant for another time). I've been physically training for about 6 years.

So, you have a choice for how long.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that depends on how you look at it. I've been in the DEP (so, a recruit) since April. I've been working on my running for about 2 years (and only removing a few seconds a year, but that's a rant for another time). I've been physically training for about 6 years.

So, you have a choice for how long.

Just so I'm reading this right....you've been working on distance running for about 2 years? You may find this interesting. You're free to read the entire thing, but focus first on the abstract. You may also find this an interesting read.

So, like I said, you need to train for what your goal is. If the goal is distance, training for sprints isn't going to help.

army

White Belt
Reaction score
i just want to put out the marines are one of the hardest branches to get into with any health issues they don't hand out waviers like the army does( which pisses me off) the army has gone to a smarter army instead of all bronze no birans, you can get into the military with some bearthing problems cuase as studies have shown some problems go away in other parts of the country. my best advice regards breathing pians is control your breathing inhale on left exhale on second right and stuff like that. well if the marines won't take you you can always look into the army and #1 thing find a job you will enjoy cuase you pick your job not your recuitor, anyways thats for servering with us

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i my best advice regards breathing pians is control your breathing inhale on left exhale on second right and stuff like that.

I agree. I commented on proper breathing in one of my earlier posts. When I jog, I use a method similar to what you said above. I breath in and take my first step with my left. I exhale on my 2nd left. Ex: Step with left and breath in, step with right, step with left and exhale. I'm sure everyone will have their own version of what works for them, but this seems to work pretty good for me. :)

Mike

Latest Discussions