Lance Corporal, it hurts to breath

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I'm not kidding. I should probably tell you what happened.

I was running with the Marines today, and we did whats called the IST (Initial Strength Test), which includes a mile and a half run. It's not long, but today I was really pushing myself. Passing is 13 minutes, perfect is 9. Normally (because I'm more of a sprinter) I do pretty bad. OK, normally I do 14-15 minutes. Today, I did 10 minutes. So, I took 4 minutes off my mile and half time in the last month.

I pushed myself really hard and had breathing cramps. I've started to get used to having them, but haven't gotten rid of them. Today with about a quarter mile left, my breathing cramps got horrid. I could only barely inhale (even when walking), and when I exhaled, I moaned. Imagine getting the wind knocked out of you, and then doing you best to sprint a quarter mile. So, you can figure I REALLY want some ideas how to get rid of/cure breathing cramps.

Anyone have any ideas?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, you should probably get checked (just in case) for exercise-induced asthma. If negative, ask the pulmonologist about what on earth you can do to better your cardiopulmonary situation according to your need.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may just need time to adjust, but ask to be checked out. It's best to be safe, and if it is something serious the consequences could be quite severe with training like this.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, you should probably get checked (just in case) for exercise-induced asthma. If negative, ask the pulmonologist about what on earth you can do to better your cardiopulmonary situation according to your need.

I agree, I have exercise induced asthma. Get it checked out by a doctor. An asthma attack can kill you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd also make sure that you're breathing properly. How you breath while you're running can make a huge difference in your performance.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have some of the same problems. It is based mainly on how hard you push yourself. The best thing to do is 1) Hydrate 2) Get lots of potassium 3) Build yourself up to running. You can't cut 4 minutes off your mile time and expect to feel great. :) The harder you push, the more it will hurt.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) Hydrate

I'm good there. I drink alot of water, but not to the point were it's coming out of my ears (lol)

2) Get lots of potassium

I ate a bananna about an hour before I went running.

You can't cut 4 minutes off your mile time and expect to feel great.

Tell me about it. :erg:

So, could someone tell me if exercise induced asthma will bar me from military service?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm good there. I drink alot of water, but not to the point were it's coming out of my ears (lol)

I ate a bananna about an hour before I went running.

Tell me about it. :erg:

So, could someone tell me if exercise induced asthma will bar me from military service?
No idea.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, I'm afraid it will. Hope it isn't that, but you should confirm with a doctor before you breath a word of it to the Marines.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
you should confirm with a doctor before you breath a word of it to the Marines.

Any idea how long it would take to do a test for exercise indunced asthma? How much will it cost? How quickly can I get the results? Could exercise induced asthma go away? (it developed, can it un-develop?)

Would exercise induced Asthma include pain the next day? Because I still have the same kind of cramping in my lower rib cage today as I did yesterday.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any idea how long it would take to do a test for exercise indunced asthma? How much will it cost? How quickly can I get the results? Could exercise induced asthma go away? (it developed, can it un-develop?)

Would exercise induced Asthma include pain the next day? Because I still have the same kind of cramping in my lower rib cage today as I did yesterday.

Can't answer that, I'm unfamiliar with exercise-induced asthma. I do know that the military will not accept recruits with any form of asthma. There is an asthma test that is administered at the MEPS center if any irregularities are heard during the physical screening, but I don't know if the same test is used for asthma brought on by exertion.

If this form of asthma is not detected during a routine screening, you might get through MEPS unnoticed; however, if you are experiencing problems after a 1.5 mi run you will definitely have problems in boot camp and your condition will be detected.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If this form of asthma is not detected during a routine screening, you might get through MEPS unnoticed; however, if you are experiencing problems after a 1.5 mi run you will definitely have problems in boot camp and your condition will be detected.

Well, I'm going to get an appointment made, and I'll find out soon. I don't suppose you know if I could re-apply if my asthma (assuming thats what I have) get better?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to get an appointment made, and I'll find out soon. I don't suppose you know if I could re-apply if my asthma (assuming thats what I have) get better?

I don't know. If you can convince them that yours is a kind of asthma that can be cured and doesn't require treatment, you might be able to get a waiver.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. If you can convince them that yours is a kind of asthma that can be cured and doesn't require treatment, you might be able to get a waiver.

I actually just told one of the recruiters what happened (he called offering me an early ship to Basic, and I felt like I had to tell him why I might have to refuse). I told him everything, including the pain in my ribs, he said it was because I either didn't stretch well enough, or I'm just out of shape.

So, does anyone know what I can do to help with breathing cramps just in general?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have (or had) exercise-induced asthma following a serious case of bronchitis; it went away over a couple of years, as the residual inflammation from the bronchitis slowly went away. Not knowing what your insurance covers, or the costs (or if you have insurance) I can't tell you anything about costs. It can go away - but it doesn't, always. It was diagnosed empirically; that is, I had problems with shortness of breath during exercise that went away when treated with an inhaled steroidal asthma medication - therefore, it was determined that I had exercise-induced asthma. A couple of times, while ill, it got bad enough for me to need to go to the doctor's office for more intensive treatment... but over time I needed the inhaler less and less, and now I haven't used it for about 2 years.

If you are still in pain the next day, that doesn't sound like asthma; it sounds like soreness, and it's probably related to not breathing correctly - stretching is also a likely problem. Warm up your muscles before you start running; stretch and cool down after you stop running.

Bananas are good for potassium - but remember it takes time for nutrients to get into your system. Eating a banana within a couple of hours of running is not going to help with that run, although it might help with the next one if you do it consistently. And I would suggest a decent multi-vitamin as well.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bear in mind that asthma is just one possibility, it could be any number of things, you could be getting a cold. See what a doctor says, there's no point in worrying about what it might be.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. Get it checked out but don't convince yourself yet that it's anything more than not being in fighting shape yet. But...get a check-up and ask your physician about it now!

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are still in pain the next day, that doesn't sound like asthma; it sounds like soreness, and it's probably related to not breathing correctly - stretching is also a likely problem. Warm up your muscles before you start running; stretch and cool down after you stop running.

That's actually what I was told from the recruiter who told me I didn't need to worry about asthma. I'm actually going to a full check up before I go to Basic, so I geuss I'll find out soon enough.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. Get it checked out but don't convince yourself yet that it's anything more than not being in fighting shape yet. But...get a check-up and ask your physician about it now!

That's actually what I was told from the recruiter who told me I didn't need to worry about asthma. I'm actually going to a full check up before I go to Basic, so I geuss I'll find out soon enough.
Absolutely the course of action I would take. The mind is powerful - an ounce of prevention does not have to be a pound of conviction. We all wish you the best for your health.

Latest Discussions