Kung fu training

goof321

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone i am a yellow belt in tae kwon do,but i have recently moved to another area and there r no tkd schools around however there are kung fu school around, and i would like to start,i did a little research and i know that i need strenght and agilyty and flexibility anybody know what exersises can i do to get agility and flexability???

thnx for youre help

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi everyone i am a yellow belt in tae kwon do,but i have recently moved to another area and there r no tkd schools around however there are kung fu school around, and i would like to start,i did a little research and i know that i need strenght and agilyty and flexibility anybody know what exersises can i do to get agility and flexability???

thnx for youre help
Where'd you move? Antarctica? It seems almost impossible to escape tae kwon do schools most places I've been! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about getting in shape before you start training. Just go; they'll help you develop the specific strength and flexibility they require. But there are plenty of websites, like Crossfit and Elastic Steel that address some of the issues.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace has a good book on stretching and flexability as relating to Martial Arts. I think it's just called 'Stretching' but I might be wrong. I'll check my bookshelf when I get home.

OP
goof321

goof321

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thnx and well i moved to the country =( im in the south so over here u know there aint this kinda stuff u its all bout nascar down here,lol, thankfully there r kungfu schools i found two close by

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You trained TKD so you must be at least a bit flexible already, at least enough to start training just about anything.

And what style of Kung Fu are we talking about?

OP
goof321

goof321

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i think its wing chun or somthing like that i dont remember what its called the 8 animal styles i wanna learn all of them to see wich one fits me,and yes i do have little flex. left i havent trained in over 8 mnths because of the whole moving things so im kinda slaking of and i would love to get back in track

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
i think its wing chun or somthing like that i dont remember what its called the 8 animal styles i wanna learn all of them to see wich one fits me,and yes i do have little flex. left i havent trained in over 8 mnths because of the whole moving things so im kinda slaking of and i would love to get back in track

Wing Chun would not need as much flexibility as say a druken style or Changquan but you do need to be flexible and I think your TKD background is fine.

8 Animal style :confused: you got me on that one

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's the name of the school? Are you sure it's not 5 animal?
In any case, don't worry about getting in shape to train. Training will get you in shape.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace has a good book on stretching and flexability as relating to Martial Arts. I think it's just called 'Stretching' but I might be wrong. I'll check my bookshelf when I get home.
The book is titled 'Dynamic Stretching & Kicking' by Bill Wallace.

OP
goof321

goof321

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
im in NC and thnx for the book

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another good book is "Stretching Scientifically" the author escapes me right now, but it is a good an informative book.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another good one is to get some of the early Paulie Zink videos the first one by Panther , It had a great series of exercises. Now he is VERY fexiable so start slow.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know that there are a few schools in Raleigh, NC. How are you from there? Perhaps Charlotte, NC is within driving range?

OP
goof321

goof321

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Charlotte is like 2 hours. Away. From or something