Kung Fu vs. Tae Kwon Do

M

midnightninja

I just started kung fu about 3 weeks ago, but I was in Tae Kwon Do for about 9 years. I wasn't told much information about the difference between those two martial arts but over the past few weeks I've discovered that there is some pretty big differences since almost all of my techniques need to be modified. I was wondering if there's some information that would be good to know when going into kung fu after having a tae kwon do background.

Thanks so much & God bless,
.:MidnightNinja:.

OP
K

Kevin Walker

midnightninja said:
I just started kung fu about 3 weeks ago, but I was in Tae Kwon Do for about 9 years. I wasn't told much information about the difference between those two martial arts but over the past few weeks I've discovered that there is some pretty big differences since almost all of my techniques need to be modified. I was wondering if there's some information that would be good to know when going into kung fu after having a tae kwon do background.

Thanks so much & God bless,
Hi,

Just about any style of Kung fu is dramatically different in practice and temperment from Tae Kwon Do. A difference of extremes. Like Judo is from Aikido, totally different.

After nine years of TKD, you would probably be a better fit in one of the harder forms of karate. Though most karate forms have less kicks. And you would probably be most comfortable in a Korean style like Hapikido or Hwangrang Do.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

If you want to know what to do going into Kung Fu - forget everything about Tae Kwan Do when learning.

They're very different in the way of attacks and such.

But do keep in mind things like power generation and such, those are still important.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have studied Go Ju for 15 years, and decided I wanted to expand my horizons a little. So I go up to this kung fu/tai chi school, watch a few classes, talk with the instructor a little, and drank alot of tea. Kung Fu is like nothing I have ever seen before. I felt almost like I was 10 years old again, walking ito a karate dojo for my first time thinking, what in the hell are they doing? and what did I get myself into. They were teaching shaolin 5 animal kung fu. I did a little research and decided I wanted to study Wing Chun. I think you should look into wing chun if you have not already, it would really balance your taekwondo by learning the hand techniques they practice. Or even better boxing. I think people should train in boxing or grappling first before any other martial arts training, but thats just my opinion. Boxing is great for kickers. And boxing is very effective pretty quickly because there is alot more pain involved, funny how that works. So my advice to you is, go to a boxing gym, when you get the basics down and want to get a little more philosophical, and go a little deeper, join a wing chun school. Your full contact training in boxing will help you realize what wing chun techniques will be effective for you and what wont.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Midnightninja!
Please tell us why you have chosen Kung Fu so that others may know your objectives. Some reasons may be self defense, actually alot of people on this board have this reason. Or it may be sparring matches in which wing chun may be helpful. But since I am not in Kung Fu, rather TKD, the reasons for me are exercise and fun. I enjoy the forms the most. Self defense, for me an older woman is a rather small part. But for you, it may be a larger part. From reading the other posts it certainly sounds that you will have to look at Kung Fu with a fresh outlook and change alot of what you have been taught from TKD. It might prevent you from going back to TKD later or at the very least, be confusing if you did. Because they are not compatible together-do not complement each other but are entirely different art forms. TW

OP
G

Gary Crawford

You are not the first by far to take on this journey.Please don't let anyone make you think that your time with TKD was wasted because what you are now learning is so different.Since you spent that much time with TKD,you have a very good feel for kicking quickly and with real power.Don't think of your TKD as bad habits you have to unlearn either.Granted,Kung Fu kicking is fundemantally different,just don't compare what you already know with what you are learning.Learn the story of "the empty Cup" and use it to learn.If you don't know that story,pm me and I'll be glad to tell you.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, like it's already been said ,the best thing is to just clean your plate. Go in with a fresh slate and be ready to absorb info.

I agree Wing Chun would work well for you because it gives you striking to add to your TKD kicking ,but your kicking can help with any CMA style you choose.

Maybe a style like Northern Shaolin (Bak Sil Lum) also because it's more footwork (Kicks) involved.

jeff:)

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Whenever I begin training in a new martial art, I do my best to temporarily forget my prior experience. It makes the initial learning easier. Later on, once you have a handle on the basics of your new art, you can begin to incorporate your old training into it.

OP
M

midnightninja

Thank you very much you guys for your input, it's given me some insight and it helps when going into kung fu. My motives for going into it is that I wanted to learn something new and completely different from Tae Kwon Do. I did enjoy tae kwon do, but after a while it became a loss of true interest. I wanted something challenging, mentally and physically, as well as provide self-defense teachings that will work into my reflexes. I've found that kung fu (at least the school I'm attending) has done exactly that for me and more. I love the art and the core of it just fascinates, intrigues, and stretches me. But because these two arts are so different, I was wondering if there was anything key to keep in mind, but i guess from what i understand I just have to keep a blank slate... and man, that's hard to do! :) But I suppose that's part of the challenge.

God bless,

OP
C

chee

midnightninja said:

I did TKD for 20+ years but finally went back into KF. I love Gung Fu (Kung Fu) having grown up in it. For a while, I am doing both at the same time- talking about playing with my head! I enjoyed TKD when I did it but like you, grew tired of the "sameness" after a while and then it was not challenging anymore. I did not have to forget what I learned in TKD when doing KF, just adapt to a different way of thinking. Enjoy the challenge of KF, you will find that your brain had never worked so hard! Happy Fu'ing!!