Good kung fu in L.A.?

B

berry king

Hi everyone, I am searching for a quality kung fu school in L.A. I know of a few schools here, but i havent heard good things about them for the most part. Does anyone know of any school they would recommend in L.A.? I am mostly interested in shaolin kung fu, but anything else would be great, such as choy li fut, hung gar, eagle claw, etc. Thank you.

OP
K

Kirk

Not IN L.A., but I've heard it's worth the extra driving.
Click here and see if it might
interest you.

OP
B

BEISHAOLIN

I teach Northern Shaolin in West Los Angeles. If you're interested, just let me know.

Sincerely,

Dou Wanchun

Direct Disciple of Grandmaster Chan Kowk Wai
United States Representative for Grandmaster Chan Kowk Wai
www.geocities.com/chankowkwai-ia

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can recommend Dr. John Cheng for 7 star Northern Preying Mantis at www.californiamartialarts.com, there are 3 eagle claw teachers in LA from my eagle claw teacher Leung Shum and 1 in Sacramento (the senior student of Ying Jow Pai from NYC is Benson Lee and he is in LA but do not know if he is teaching formally or not), and if you look at www.harmoniousfist.com you will find Kisu, a legit Shaolin Master under legit lineage. He is also the illustrator and creator of Avatar cartoon on Nick and Cartoon networks! Look under www.yingjowpai.com and you will see the list of legit California under the Ng Wei/Leung Shum branch of Ying Jow Pai out there.

Hope this helps!

Texas Mike aka Ninebird8

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can recommend Dr. John Cheng for 7 star Northern Preying Mantis at www.californiamartialarts.com, there are 3 eagle claw teachers in LA from my eagle claw teacher Leung Shum and 1 in Sacramento (the senior student of Ying Jow Pai from NYC is Benson Lee and he is in LA but do not know if he is teaching formally or not), and if you look at www.harmoniousfist.com you will find Kisu, a legit Shaolin Master under legit lineage. He is also the illustrator and creator of Avatar cartoon on Nick and Cartoon networks! Look under www.yingjowpai.com and you will see the list of legit California under the Ng Wei/Leung Shum branch of Ying Jow Pai out there.

Hope this helps!

Texas Mike aka Ninebird8

Depending on where you are in LA, Sifu Cheng's schools are worth looking at (I train at his Irvine school), but all of his locations are in Orange County. One of his students, Sifu Derrick Wright is in the San Fernando valley region http://www.usmartialartsacademy.org/

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks 7Star Marc....I have known Dr. Cheng since he was 12 years old and he is a great doctor, a great martial artist, and an even better person! We miss him here in Texas!!

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, and my other teacher's teacher, Dr. Yang Jwing Ming (my three teachers are Sigung Leung Shum, Grandmaster Ricky Anderson, and Master Jeff Bolt), has moved now to his retreat in California. Soooo..if you want to spend $90k over 10 years 9 months of the year and learn the old way, look him up! He teaches Southern white crane, Northern Long Fist, and Yang Style Tai chi.

Latest Discussions