Kukri vs Machette

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good reviews. Anyway, between kukris and machetes I know both have their advantages and disadvantages. Im trying to figure out which one people prefer when going out in the woods or brush. I've got some good machetes but I don't have any experience with kukris. I might be going on a trip out in the brush myself.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good reviews. Anyway, between kukris and machetes I know both have their advantages and disadvantages. Im trying to figure out which one people prefer when going out in the woods or brush. I've got some good machetes but I don't have any experience with kukris. I might be going on a trip out in the brush myself.

What sort of bush? What sort of tasks?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind this is a commercial site and the sales patter a bit flowery lol.
khukuri info kukri origin khukri value kukuri history- feed yourself
Yeah, they're commercial -- but they are generally pretty accurate as far as I know. Prices are a bit steep, but you're essentially getting a individual handmade item. You can get more "run of the mill" military issue style kukri for around $25 or $30 US, on average. Used to be cheaper... but then they got "kewl."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stick with what you know. Mistakes with a kukri can be pretty serious... They've got tremendous chopping power, and if you get in the path of the blade -- Well, we can call you Lefty.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What sort of bush? What sort of tasks?
I might be taking a trip to South Africa so it will be out in the savanna and possible out in the woods as well. Im thinking of bringing a kukri instead of a machete or I might bring both.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stick with what you know. Mistakes with a kukri can be pretty serious... They've got tremendous chopping power, and if you get in the path of the blade -- Well, we can call you Lefty.

So you're saying a machete is usually easier to handle and not as tricky. I would think so since a curved blade can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you're saying a machete is usually easier to handle and not as tricky. I would think so since a curved blade can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing.
No. I'm saying that if you mess around with something you don't understand, you can get hurt. And in the woods is not the place to get hurt. The edge on a kukri is on the inside edge of that curve. That's part of why it's so powerful a chopping tool -- but it also means it's really easy to get yourself in the path of the edge -- and find out about when you get cut. Like any tool -- learn how to use it before you rely on it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they're commercial -- but they are generally pretty accurate as far as I know. Prices are a bit steep, but you're essentially getting a individual handmade item. You can get more "run of the mill" military issue style kukri for around $25 or $30 US, on average. Used to be cheaper... but then they got "kewl."

Mine, a military one, was a present from my Gurkha shift partner when I retired, he knows how much I like blades!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I might be taking a trip to South Africa so it will be out in the savanna and possible out in the woods as well. Im thinking of bringing a kukri instead of a machete or I might bring both.

you wont want to back pack both. That would get to heavy. If you are clearing a path or chopping light trees get a machete.

I live in a rain forest so the machete is good for me.

If you are chopping fire wood or making structures get a saw or an axe.

RhythmGJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Some people chop/cut brush machete-like with a large Bowie, so you could look at those too, I suppose.

I have a machete, Bowie, and something called a Bo-Kri (mid-sized, kukri-like Bowie knife).

I would think any could do the job, safety concerns kept in mind, of course, but I would think that if you're back-packing and not necessarily worried about too much brush, the smaller the knife, the easier to carry, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
you wont want to back pack both. That would get to heavy. If you are clearing a path or chopping light trees get a machete.

I live in a rain forest so the machete is good for me.

If you are chopping fire wood or making structures get a saw or an axe.

If both is two heavy, I can always keep one in the hunting lodge. I like the machete but I want to try out a kukri. A machete makes me feel like Im from out of a horror movie.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If both is two heavy, I can always keep one in the hunting lodge. I like the machete but I want to try out a kukri. A machete makes me feel like Im from out of a horror movie.

lol. well a kukri wont fix any image issues.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you could just take it for granted that most of the world does not share your difficulty separating reality and movies?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither for me, unless I am clearing brush all day. This is my favorite knife, Ken Onion designed hunting blade. Nice and hurky. I've battoned small saplings down with it and it still had enough edge left over to fillet a trout. I like it so much I had a local leather worker make a custom sheath for it with my initials stamped into the leather.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 289
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could just take it for granted that most of the world does not share your difficulty separating reality and movies?

I don't share that difficulty either. You shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why take sand to a beach. When traveling try sampling the local wares and training. Working blades develop from community, culture and needs. Rather than traveling with a bunch of long steel pick up what you need when you get closer to where you are going. Travel lighter and only take the essentials. When traveling foreign lands bring cheap blade as it will likely be traded anyways, no sense losing top notch.

Latest Discussions