Kukkiwon Instructor Course outside of Korea

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd love to do it, but we're trying to be fiscally sensible for a year or two - but then I definitely want to get over there to do it!

Why doesn't someone organize and set up a Kukkiwon Instructor Course in UK, or for that matter any other country? I am sure that the Kukkiwon would be open to such a thing. It doesn't have to be only in the United States.

For example, the WTF had an International Master Instructor course in conjunction with the Denmark World Championships which was well received. Perhaps ETU could or would sponsor something similar for its European membership.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone organize and set up a Kukkiwon Instructor Course in UK, or for that matter any other country? I am sure that the Kukkiwon would be open to such a thing. It doesn't have to be only in the United States.

I believe that the UKTDC group in the UK has this aim. If they do, I am DEFINITELY going to be attending.

It may be though because there are far higher numbers of possible attendees in the US.

For example, the WTF had an International Master Instructor course in conjunction with the Denmark World Championships which was well received. Perhaps ETU could or would sponsor something similar for its European membership.

Maybe... I don't know much about the ETU leadership as to whether they would be interested in this. I have however emailed the ETU Secretary General, I'll post back here with what they say.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the Kukkiwon International Branch conference last year, a couple/several groups from the UK were represented. I don't think a decision was made on which group was selected as the Kukkiwon UK Branch though.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the Kukkiwon International Branch conference last year, a couple/several groups from the UK were represented. I don't think a decision was made on which group was selected as the Kukkiwon UK Branch though.

The most likely are :

BTCB - British Taekwondo Control Board - our WTF MNA

UKTDC - United Kingdom Technical Development Council - a new group that seems to be more of a USTC equivalent in the UK

BTC - British Taekwondo Council - a very large group of which the BTCB is a partner, but the BTC is mainly ITF style Taekwon-do.

However, I thought the international branch program was being dropped (hence the US Kukkiwon lawsuit thread)? Or are you just saying it was discussed at the time (but is now a moot point).

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
BTC - British Taekwondo Council - a very large group of which the BTCB is a partner, but the BTC is mainly ITF style Taekwon-do.

Not entirely so, the BTC website might be of interest.

The British TaekwonDo Council is recognised by the Sports Council as the only Governing body for Tae Kwon Do in the UK

Any group who wants to be Sport England recognized, has to be part of the BTC. The BTCB included, as well as ITF style groups etc.

The B.T.C. was established in conjunction with the Sports Council to unify and oversee the development of Tae Kwon Do in the UK. We cater for all styles of TaekwonDo, I.T.F, W.T.F as well as Independents

Although their hierarchy is ITF heavy, for sure. If you can get a copy of the 'Genesis Report', you might find that interesting. If you are UKTDC you may have seen that as it was on their website for a while IIRC.

Edited to add: not the original report, but nonetheless: http://www.uksport.gov.uk/docLib/MISC/TaekwondoreviewupdateNov2010.pdf Those changes mix it up a bit... I guess it may be fair to call BTCB a 'partner' now then? Not really sure what federated means.

Last edited:

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Not entirely so, the BTC website might be of interest.

Well, you live and learn... I always had been told that ITF style was far more popular in the UK. That may be true from a number of practitioners point of view (it's hard for me to know), but in terms of registered instructors, it's not so.

In case anyone finds this page from a search engine, I thought I'd post my numbers.

If you look at the members page of the website you kindly linked, you'll see that out of 8 Full Members - 3 of them romanise it as Taekwon-do (as ITF style groups tend to do), 1 is TAGB (known ITF style), 1 has ITF in the name (UKITF), the website for the UKTC shows an ITF-style romanisation. The only two that seem WTF style are the BTCB and the ETF. So by number of full members, it's mainly ITF style.

However, going on number of registered instructors (using the classification of groups as above):

UKITF 217
GTUK 98
TAGB 587
UKGT 134
UKTA 268
UKTC 181

BTCB 1593
ETF 23

ITF=1485
WTF=1616

Any group who wants to be Sport England recognized, has to be part of the BTC. The BTCB included, as well as ITF style groups etc.

I am aware of that

Although their hierarchy is ITF heavy, for sure. If you can get a copy of the 'Genesis Report', you might find that interesting. If you are UKTDC you may have seen that as it was on their website for a while IIRC.

I was emailed a copy of the original report from an anonymous email address when it first came out. Interesting reading.

I guess it may be fair to call BTCB a 'partner' now then? Not really sure what federated means.

I don't think that process has gone through yet anyway. I always understood it to be more of a mutually beneficial arrangement though than the BTCB was just a member of the BTC. What I mean is that the BTCB brings something to the table too in terms of funding, not just getting Sports Council funding via the BTC.

Maybe I'm wrong though...

Latest Discussions