Womens SD Classes

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many schools teach them. Short courses designed to give women a small taste of SD. The material taught probably varies from inst. to inst.

So, you've been given the task of teaching a SD course for women. The people attending range in age from high school age girls to college age, from 30yo females to people in their 50's and 60's.

List at least 5 things (more can be listed if you choose :) ) that you would teach and why you would teach them. What types of scenarios/training tools would you use?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've thought a lot about this question because I'm interested in these types of courses. I know that I don't have the best answer....but...

I would start off by teaching a bit on pressure points/vulnerable parts of the body. Then follow that up with a bit of striking, open handed strikes, basic kicks, jabs, all capitalizing on the vulnerable areas discussed earlier. Also do some real hitting on bags and pads. I would think that part of striking for someone with no MA experience would be just the sensation of actually hitting and following through.
Then I would go to some basic same side wrist grab defense. Just to teach the very basic idea of joint locking and how and why it works. Maybe a few different applications of where it would work.
I would then teach a rear bear hug defense, since that is one of the most likely real world grab situations.
Last, I would go with a ground defense, i.e. defender on the bottom, attacker on top. To simulate the situation where a women has been knocked down and a larger sized opponent is no top of them.

I know that move pretty fast through techniques, but with only 5 things, those are the ones that I would choose. This would probably take the better part of an hour, after making corrections, teaching it slowly and letting them practice.

Now if I did have more to teach and a longer time, I would get into a little more depth. I may expand the wrist grab section to do cross wrist and same side, but using the same idea to stay on topic. I would also do a one handed and a two handed lapel grab if someone were grabbed by the shirt. I may consider a hair grab defense from in front and behind also.

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I assume this self defense course would be for against random attacks. The curriculum would be very different for domestic situations.

First, I would teach them not to go places where it is dangerous. This is the easiest way to avoid trouble.

Next, I would teach them to be alert at all times. Don't walk with your iPod headphones in and your head down looking at the ground. You may be attacked or run over by a car (or a falling helicopter as you can't hear a darned thing with loud headphones on). Hands out of the pockets, head up.

Once they are looking alert I would teach them to look confident, like they are not someone to be messed with. Easier prey will be chosen instead. Walk confidently, look strong and agile.

If they are attacked, getting help is very important so tactics about making noise to attract attention are good (some say "F I R E" gets better attention than "R A P E") and may thwart the attack without the need to physically defend yourself. Dropping something recognizable like a glove or a scarf is also a good tactic if you think you will be abducted. Damaging the outside of their car is also very useful.

If this is their only seminar then discussing armed attacks I'd only note that they need to use their intuition to decide if they are going to be killed or not. If they feel they are going to be killed then they should fight back with everything they have, down to fingernails and biting but otherwise it may be best to cooperate if only their money or car (WITHOUT THEM IN IT) are being stolen. IMO there isn't time in a short seminar course to teach useful knife or gun defense; take-aways take a lot of training and confidence to work in real life.

After all that I would teach them the standard front groin kick, eye attacks, throat attacks, knee attacks, rear elbow attacks, bear hug defence.

I don't see value in teaching them ground defense. If they are on the ground in a secluded area they may need to escape but that should be a rare situation and honestly with a weight disadvantage there isn't much more you can do that the previously mentioned vital area attacks, making noise so you are noticed, etc.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Simple stuff

Not joint locks or complicated take downs or things that take hours and hours of drills to get.

I tend to have a problem with most Woman's SD classes because they tend to teach stuff that there is no way in hell in a panic situiation they are ever going to remeber or get right since many of these woman's SD classes amount to no more than 6 classes usually less.

Strikes to soft tissue
heel strikes to the top of the foot
use of keys for sd
If you absolutly MUST teach something to attack joints go for fingers
step on the knee
kick to the groin
RUN is a very good option

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hpulley hit it on the nail!!

K.I.S.S.=keep it simple stupid is the best method.

Since you may not have alot of time to teach you want high percentage damage and the ability to deliver.

I would say strikes to Throat,Temple,Nose,Eyes,Knee and under chin.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm assuming that this is a one time self defense class or a series of very short sessions, so I'd concentrate on very basic, simple and effective things.

I would teach them the importance of being assertive and aware of what's going on around them and not appearing to be a victim in search of a predator. I would spend alot of time on that. What to look for when going to their cars, how not to act in public. I would teach them how to attract attention to themselves and hopefully, get people to actually pay attention and do something about it.

I would teach them that self defense is ugly and try to give them the correct mindset to do what they have to do. I would identify a minimum number of targets that are easy access and provide the best chance of getting away basically eyes, throat, groin, knees, and the best way to attack them for maximum results. I would keep physical techniques to a few and drill them alot. I would also make sure that I had something they could actually hit, so they understand what it feels like to hit something.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Eye-attacks-simple, require very little strength to be effective (I favor the "face smash"...similar to the tiger-claw from WWII Combatives).
  • Hammer fists-low risk of injury to the user, can be used for a variety of targets and can be augmented with just about any small object (pens, flashlights, etc.).
  • Knee-strikes-simple, low risk of injury to the user, more stable than most kicks.
  • Bear-hug escape
  • Mount escape

Above all, I would stress situational awareness, avoiding "task-fixation," and preparing oneself mentally to do whatever is necessary to prevail. I would also stress the need for more training as no seminar is going to give someone an adequate level of preparation.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I teach something like this, I stress avoidance and preparation as much as physical techniques -- including working on actually talking back! Many women find it difficult to do something that seems simple, like saying "NO" in a way that they mean it.

In terms of physical techniques, I tend to build and reinforce principles throughout. So, the same motion that starts an escape from a wrist grab might become a block or strike, depending on the needs. Targets are generally kept simple; eyes, throat, & groin/knees, working on the simple fact that if you can't see, breath, or move, you can't fight. I avoid techniques that require a lot of fine motor control, end in locks or holds, or require a lot of strength or conditioning to use effectively.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. All out or nothing
2. All out or nothing
3. All out or nothing
4. All out or nothing
5. All out or nothing

Teaching a few simple techniques or a short class will not be enough for anyone to defend themselves, female or male.

Giving someone the false sense of power can be dangerous. It is like teaching somone to pull a trigger on a gun, but not how to aim, reload, how to use the safety, or how to handle the gun around others.

But, if I had to do a short SD course, I would chose 5-10 basic defense moves. It would not be in one night or week, but a few months.

SD starts out with environmental awareness, not techniques. I would teach the group how to avoid dangerous situations.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The first few things any instructor should do before teaching a women's self defense course are:

Read at least 3 books on the subject
Contact local womens shelters and talk to them
Speak to women you know about the kinds of things they are worried about
Attend a few similar courses

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, I think things that are simple and effective and the most important. My list consists of the following:

Awareness. When I'm out with my wife, I always comment to her on how much I like to people watch. Its amazing at how many people are so clueless to whats going on around them. A few weeks ago while in the grocery store, I see a cart, loaded with food, a purse in the cart, and the woman on the other side of the aisle looking at dairy. People gabbing away on their cell, instead of paying attention.

While I'm a fan of joint locks, I feel that they're too complicated to grasp in a short time. Therefore, I'd omit that and add in open hand strikes, hits to effective targets, such as the eyes, groin, clawing/raking strikes, knees and elbows.

Simple escapes from some common attacks would be worked on as well, ie: chokes, wrist grabs, bear hugs, etc.

Kicks would be kept low and consist of things such as instep, ball and stomps.

Ground work IMO is important. Not looking for a submission, but instead working some dirty fighting into some basic escapes.

Despite how uncomfortable this may feel for some of the women, male attackers would be used for upright as well as ground attacks. Odds are if they're going to get attacked, it'll be by a male, so may as well get them used to it.

In addition to using hand held bags, focus pads, etc., a padded suit to allow them the chance to apply these strikes to a moving, live target is important.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume this self defense course would be for against random attacks. The curriculum would be very different for domestic situations.

That was my primary goal with this thread....use in a street scenario. However, if someone was the victim of domestic abuse, either by a husband or boyfriend, and the female felt that she was in extreme danger, then I see no reason why she'd have to alter what she did. Frankly, I have very little sympathy for a man that feels it necessary to beat on a woman, so IMO, if he does, he gets what he deserves.

I don't see value in teaching them ground defense. If they are on the ground in a secluded area they may need to escape but that should be a rare situation and honestly with a weight disadvantage there isn't much more you can do that the previously mentioned vital area attacks, making noise so you are noticed, etc.

Hmm...I may have to disagree with that. If the goal of the attacker is a sexual assault, then the ground is probably where she'll end up. Hopefully, she could do something during the initial assault to prevent going to the ground, but if she can't, it'd be better to know something than nothing at all.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. All out or nothing
2. All out or nothing
3. All out or nothing
4. All out or nothing
5. All out or nothing

Agree 100%. I think its safe to say that we've both seen people, male and female, who enroll in SD, yet trying to get them to do what you just said is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Part of this course is breaking them out of that mindset, and put them into one that is all out. :)

Teaching a few simple techniques or a short class will not be enough for anyone to defend themselves, female or male.

Giving someone the false sense of power can be dangerous. It is like teaching somone to pull a trigger on a gun, but not how to aim, reload, how to use the safety, or how to handle the gun around others.

But, if I had to do a short SD course, I would chose 5-10 basic defense moves. It would not be in one night or week, but a few months.

SD starts out with environmental awareness, not techniques. I would teach the group how to avoid dangerous situations.

Agreed. I should've been more specific in my OP, as to the length of time for these classes. In order to get something out of it, it would need to be a) an intensive weekend ie: 8hrs a day, or b) a set amount of days over a period of time, ie: 1-2 days for 1-2 months.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first few things any instructor should do before teaching a women's self defense course are:

Read at least 3 books on the subject
I disagree. There are very few good books on any sort of self defense, and most of them aren't specific to women's self defense. Assuming your martial arts training has been realistic and oriented towards real world application, you'll be fine.
Contact local womens shelters and talk to them
Again, not a reliable or effective source of information. The problems that lead women to a shelter are not the same ones that will require self defense. There's overlap... but the women who wind up in shelters almost certainly need a lot more than a self defense class before they defend themselves against the greatest threat to their safety.
Speak to women you know about the kinds of things they are worried about
Not a bad idea, but do some research accompanying this. Find out what they're concerned about, and why... and what they SHOULD be concerned about. For example, statistically, most women are not likely to be the victim of a stranger rape or abduction; it's much more likely to be someone they know who attacks them.
Attend a few similar courses
This I agree with. But probably for a different reason than you listed it. See what people are teaching. Most of them won't be teaching something useful in a useful manner.

If you're really serious about teaching self defense classes, I encourage you to look for some of the solid programs that use good teaching methodology for the subject matter and the learners, and get certified through them. If you're just looking to do quickie classes, either as an intro to your program or at the occasional request of community groups, then develop a reliable curriculum.

My wife is currently enrolled in a "self defense" class through her college program, to meet the PE requirements. The guy started out poorly prepared, and haphazard, but has improved. But what he's really doing is an intro to his martial arts program, not self defense. A few articles and notes on avoidance and awareness aren't the same as actually teaching that aspect -- which is where the greater emphasis needs to be. Self defense is not the same as martial arts; martial arts are not immediately self defense. And many martial artists, while very skilled at martial arts, are not skilled at all in self defense.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I'm a fan of joint locks, I feel that they're too complicated to grasp in a short time. Therefore, I'd omit that and add in open hand strikes, hits to effective targets, such as the eyes, groin, clawing/raking strikes, knees and elbows.
Joint locks aren't good tactics for self defense; the goal in self defense is not containing and controlling someone. It's stopping the attack and discouraging pursuit while escaping.

They're great tools in some capacities, but they just rarely fit in self defense.
Ground work IMO is important. Not looking for a submission, but instead working some dirty fighting into some basic escapes.
I wholeheartedly agree; basic escapes and defenses from the ground (or equivalently disadvantaged positions, like on a sofa or bed) are essential elements of self defense.
In addition to using hand held bags, focus pads, etc., a padded suit to allow them the chance to apply these strikes to a moving, live target is important.

If you're going to do this, take the time to learn to do it properly and with appropriate realism. Otherwise, it can quickly become an exercise in pounding on the guy in red... (Incidentally, Red Man or similar suits aren't inexpensive...) There are several programs available, or you can develop your own with some work and time spent researching simulation training.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simple stuff

Not joint locks or complicated take downs or things that take hours and hours of drills to get.

I tend to have a problem with most Woman's SD classes because they tend to teach stuff that there is no way in hell in a panic situiation they are ever going to remeber or get right since many of these woman's SD classes amount to no more than 6 classes usually less.

Strikes to soft tissue
heel strikes to the top of the foot
use of keys for sd
If you absolutly MUST teach something to attack joints go for fingers
step on the knee
kick to the groin
RUN is a very good option

• Eye-attacks-simple, require very little strength to be effective (I favor the "face smash"...similar to the tiger-claw from WWII Combatives).
  • Hammer fists-low risk of injury to the user, can be used for a variety of targets and can be augmented with just about any small object (pens, flashlights, etc.).
  • Knee-strikes-simple, low risk of injury to the user, more stable than most kicks.
  • Bear-hug escape
  • Mount escape

Above all, I would stress situational awareness, avoiding "task-fixation," and preparing oneself mentally to do whatever is necessary to prevail. I would also stress the need for more training as no seminar is going to give someone an adequate level of preparation.

All GREAT suggestions..Awareness would be the FIRST topic I or rather Master Steve and myself would cover...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. All out or nothing
2. All out or nothing
3. All out or nothing
4. All out or nothing
5. All out or nothing

I must respectfully disagree...I have shown a few techniques to females over the years and MANY have reported back that they have served them well...

Giving someone the false sense of power can be dangerous.

True, but we make sure ALL students understand that they are being shown fragments of the whole, and no matter how good they believe themselves to be there is ALWAYS someone better

Yes, in the ideal world that would be desireable..I have done classes for where they are shown a few techniques and then its REPETITION, REPETITION, REPETITION...

100% truth....

Last edited:
OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're going to do this, take the time to learn to do it properly and with appropriate realism. Otherwise, it can quickly become an exercise in pounding on the guy in red... (Incidentally, Red Man or similar suits aren't inexpensive...) There are several programs available, or you can develop your own with some work and time spent researching simulation training.

Take a look at this clip from 8:12 on. IIRC, this is a small snip from what was done at a womens SD seminar, that was also on the news. Obviously Gina (the girl in the clip and Rons gf) has been training for a while, but the points I wanted to focus on were, a) the suit doesnt look like its anything too complicated, yet its providing some good protection, and b) she is demonstrating some effective strikes, ie: open hand palms/slaps, elbows and knees. :) Another clip. Watch from 3:52. Same material from the first clip, but this shows a closer view.

However, I agree with what you're saying. Time does need to be spent on proper execution of the strikes, no matter what they are. Watch any cardio kickboxing class, and the majority of the time, we see people throwing half *** kicks and punches. Its stuff like that, that'll result in an injury to the person throwing them. And you're right, if you get the actual suit, its not cheap. Of course, this could be used in regular martial art classes as well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All GREAT suggestions..Awareness would be the FIRST topic I or rather Master Steve and myself would cover...

"Awareness" ABSOLUTLY 100% AGREE.
icon14.gif

Teach someone to be more aware of their surroundings and they will avoid 1 heck of a lot of problems in the first place and not need to use any SD.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have taught periodic WSD classes for 17+ years. I started with an 8 week course but over time the reality is that most women told me they could not committ for that long of a program so its been scaled down over the years. I think some knowledge is better than no knowledge although its definately important to give the students a sense of what the true dangers are and what their true capabilities are. I define what self defense is and also what students can do to minimize the possibility of an assault. I then give the basics of how to defend yourself if an assault actually occurs. I also give a taste of martial arts as well since some may decide to try this.
I just taught a class of 40 women 2 days ago. Some of the women indicated that they do not even typically lock their doors at night! After our discussion they are going to begin locking doors and install deadbolt locks on their doors and change other high risk habits as well. I would say this class was effective just because of this alone!
Some women go on to join martial arts and some go on to more intensive self defense programs. Also keep in mind some women are intimidated to enroll in a hard core program without having previous experience. A mini course often gives them the confidence that they need, in an inexpensive way, to decide to continue their training further.
I hope this info helps.

Latest Discussions