Krav Maga Organization question

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are 4 in my area, of those I have narrowed that down to 2. The one I am going to does not offer short cut instructors training. The other is an incredibly reputable MMA/BJJ/Muay Thai school. They added Krav Maga a couple years ago, but they recently added a week long instructors class too, this made me wonder. The other 2; 1 looks good but it is incredibly expensive and the furthest away. The other is the closest but they do not respond to phone calls and have no e-mail address... and I have had dealings with the head instructor when he was running a Wing Chun School, he is a good guy, but his adding religion into things and then becoming a private police training academy (which still exists) make me a bit nervous.

I am on this bent of wanting to get back into some harder training of late, I'm thinking this might be my mid-life crisis (since I have not had one yet and I am closer to 60 than 50 :D ) If school 1 does not work there is school 2 to consider, If those fail and I survive there is a JKD school that is rather close and rather good I will check (I plan to check it out anyway) there is also a BJJ school, but they are as far away as the expensive Krav Maga school, and I will admit right now, I am impressed by BJJ, but I am not a BJJ guy. If I were to go to that school it would likely only be for the 3 month basic program. And there is also a Systema guy I discovered not to long ago.....And lastly there is also a guy teaching modern wushu in my area who use to teach Sanshou,, and a few years back he tried to convince me to go there.... so that to might be a possibility as well as a Chinese based style and I have been a CMA guy now for over 20 years.

I am guessing if I survive, and/or get that far, this mid-life crisis thing will be over and I can go back to my Taijiquan and Xingyiquan :)
I'm 50 and krav maga is one art I want to train before I hit 60.If you can do it so can I:)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm 50 and krav maga is one art I want to train before I hit 60.If you can do it so can I:)

Going to check out another school soon.

I had decided to return to Jeet Kune Do and found what I think is the best possible school and teacher for me, but Mrs Xue was REAL unhappy about the hours I would have to be there, had to go directly from Work to class and would not get back until after 8:00.

However the JKD instructor told me which KM school was the best in our area and I will give that a try and see how Mrs Xue handles that. I am able to get back home for an hour and make sure the youngest is getting her homework done and music practice going, before I go to class.

I will let you know how it goes after I give it a try. Hopefully by the first week of November

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good luck on your trying the KM school. I know of the couple schools in the area that teach KM. I would only try the one that I suggested. It's the only one I have heard "OK" things about.

Glad you had fun training with me the couple times. Sorry the misses was not happy with you. Maybe some day you can work it out.

Find what works for you. That's the great thing about JKD. You find what works for you so to speak. Not going to do jump spinning kicks or drop to the ground to grapple at 50..

good luck on your journey.....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good luck on your trying the KM school. I know of the couple schools in the area that teach KM. I would only try the one that I suggested. It's the only one I have heard "OK" things about.

Glad you had fun training with me the couple times. Sorry the misses was not happy with you. Maybe some day you can work it out.

Find what works for you. That's the great thing about JKD. You find what works for you so to speak. Not going to do jump spinning kicks or drop to the ground to grapple at 50..

good luck on your journey.....

Thanks Steve, maybe by summer 2018

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Xue,
you may like FMA it does have a nice blend between Jeet Kun Do, CMA, and Krav, goes very well with Taijiquan sticking and following.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, sadly there is no FMA within range.
Kent Nelson has an online training class, as well as Kali online I use to be skeptical about online learning however I do like their approaches and find it easily adaptable to my current arts. though I do have a background in FMA so maybe my adaption is easier than someone who has not done FMA.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue, come to Maui, I’ll teach you everything I know. And in the second hour we’ll go up the mountain.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only if you tack on an extra 15 minutes to I can teach you all I know too...then it is Mountain time :D
If you guys let me add my 30 seconds of knowledge, can I come along?

Ok, I can probably stretch it out to a full minute if I start talking and get sidetracked.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey Xue,

What is is making you think you want to do this? Are you looking for a more rigorous training than the taiji generally is? Or more contact sparring, or specific self-defense focus? Is there a specific “something” you feel is missing from your taiji practice?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
hey Xue,

What is is making you think you want to do this? Are you looking for a more rigorous training than the taiji generally is? Or more contact sparring, or specific self-defense focus? Is there a specific “something” you feel is missing from your taiji practice?

Mostly... I chalk it up to mid-life crisis :)

No deep reason, just feel like it.

I am also supposed to be getting back together with my Taiji Shifu to train one on one to get much deeper into things taiji

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mostly... I chalk it up to mid-life crisis :)

No deep reason, just feel like it.

I am also supposed to be getting back together with my Taiji Shifu to train one on one to get much deeper into things taiji
Fair enough. Variety is the spice of life. I would share my stuff with you, but I’m afraid the commute is a bit longer that what you are looking at for the krav school...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Fair enough. Variety is the spice of life. I would share my stuff with you, but I’m afraid the commute is a bit longer that what you are looking at for the krav school...

Well...one of us needs to move then...or get a jet pilots license and reinstitute the Concord flights:D

Thanks

There are a few Krav Maga Schools in my area, but it seems the one that is actually closest to my house is the best. I was going to go this week but since I hurt my wrist I am giving the silly thing a chance to recover.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue if its still of concern you can get the IKMF practitioner or graduate 5 DVD set and learn from it. With your school training also you can perfect your technique and increase your muscle memory. The whole set is 69 dollars plus 5 dollars shipping.

Then you'll have a beginner to advanced set. Great way to supplement your training and make sure you're getting the quality intruction you deserve.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I live about 10 minutes from this IKMA school. It's highly regarded and the rates are extremely competitive. It's something I've been thinking about the last few months.

http://www.israelikrav.com/

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I live about 10 minutes from this IKMA school. It's highly regarded and the rates are extremely competitive. It's something I've been thinking about the last few months.

I looked through the website and it looked great! I've never heard of this organization, but there are plenty of Krav franchises I don't know about. I am very impressed with anyone who has a 10th degree black belt in Krav

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Home - IKMA Association

yeah so I'd say go for it! I started taking Krav myself a few months ago and i LOVE it. i've taken quite a few different martial arts and i enjoy Krav the most by far. granted this is just my personal taste... others may be different

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

IKMA is great. They are one of the respected organizations. David Kahn in their US representative and has added more groundifghting to the Krav Maga curriculum.

Latest Discussions