Krav Mag flow chart

Gutcha

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've created a flow chart of my vision of Krav Maga principles and philososphy. I wanted to know what do you think about it and how I could improve it.

Thanks !

krav-maga-flow-chart-in-a-nutshell-796x1024.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly opened this thinking it was going to be the "everything leads to kicking the groin" one that I've seen floaring around. :D

Still not a fan of including hitting the groin rather than weak spots in general, as that's not necessarily always the best spot and it can make people hyperfocused.

I would also include a "Can you flee" option after "is he armed" (if its a mass shooting somewhere, don't be a hero, just flee).

WIth the "can you give him what you want" I'd include a talk it out option before going to attack.

Last change, from what I've been taught (which isn't krav maga) once you take control of a weapon, if that's what you choose to do instead of flee/cooperate, it's better to leave after securing the weapon, or hold it/the attacker if you're doing so for a specific reason, but attacking him afterwards just gives him opportunity to attack again, or time for his buddies to find you.

Just my two cents on the whole thing.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tbh it seems over complicated and in a real fight this stuff probably won't come into your head, you don't have time to think in a fight you just react

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I avoid the conflict, could include verbal de-escalation not just running away, so if I were doing a chart I would put Can I escape yes/no, and no would flow into Can I de-escalate yes/no. Having said that however, if you don’t practice verbal de-escalation then you obviously can’t put it in.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tbh it seems over complicated and in a real fight this stuff probably won't come into your head, you don't have time to think in a fight you just react

That’s true you won’t have time to think, which is why you need to structure your training to your goals. If you are training to deal with SD situations such as the ones the flow chart is designed to address, then you need to structure your training scenario drills to reflect that. So if you practice being approached by a mugger (just as an example) then when it happens you won’t need to think, your training will take over automatically.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've created a flow chart of my vision of Krav Maga principles and philososphy. I wanted to know what do you think about it and how I could improve it.

Thanks !

krav-maga-flow-chart-in-a-nutshell-796x1024.png
Can you flee? No? Kick him in the nuts! Still can't? Nuts! No? Nuts! <Infinite loop>

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
all roads lead to "kick to the groin" but what if its a girl ? yeah yeah it hurts them too...not sure if its on the same scale.
but seriously, it may be the way the style is but i feel there is an over reliance on that groin kick going on.
i dont study Krav so i cant comment further.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
all roads lead to "kick to the groin" but what if its a girl ? yeah yeah it hurts them too...not sure if its on the same scale.
but seriously, it may be the way the style is but i feel there is an over reliance on that groin kick going on.
i dont study Krav so i cant comment further.
A groin shot is a great move for a fight but it shouldn't be the only answer. I've been kicked there in training and yeah it hurts but it's never put me in a position where I felt like I need to stop and couldn't keep fighting. Some people it will as evidence from any mma fight but some it just won't work on as they'll either be full of adrenaline or drugged up so they don't feel pain. There should always be a back up plan

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, it doesn't hurt basically, nothing there to hurt lol. However a kick to the pubic bone hurts everyone. It can fracture and is classed as a pelvic fracture and surprisingly it can cause eventual death in elderly patients among whom it's more common, not that I'm suggesting you will be attacked by geriatrics.

OP
G

Gutcha

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback !

About the groin thing, I tried to reflect Krav Maga's principles. And it always put a lot a emphasis on kicking in the groin, no matter what Krav Maga federation. That's why I created the chart that way.

Beside all that, I think it's true that the kick in the groin is to much glorified. No one will reacts the same way depending on if their drunk, under drugs ... But the reality is that MOST of the time, people will be in a lot of pain. The groin is a much easier target than this eyes or the throat. And if you reach target there's a bigger chance of success than hitting in the knee. So based on all these odds, I will prefere the groin option in first, and then if it doesn't work I would adapt I go for the other weak points.

OP
G

Gutcha

White Belt
Reaction score
Can I avoid the conflict, could include verbal de-escalation not just running away, so if I were doing a chart I would put Can I escape yes/no, and no would flow into Can I de-escalate yes/no. Having said that however, if you don’t practice verbal de-escalation then you obviously can’t put it in.

The "Can you avoid the situation" meant not putting yourself in a dangerous situation as well as de-escalating the situation by talking it out. Seems that it's not clear I will change the label. Thanks !

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
As stated before I would add in verbal de-escalation

Also 'assess the situation' could be a whole flow chart on its own

Latest Discussions