Krav Maga grading

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So just finished my first Krav Maga grading, it was brutal 5 hours of hard work. The pad work lasted over an hour and the only break we got was holding pads for our partner (which is even more painful on the arms) but I passed. Not sure on what grade or percent but a pass is a pass so I'm happy.

Very much loving Krav Maga and now decided that's what I'm going to dedicate myself to. I'm going to stop bjj and Muay Thai. Nothing against them but this is what I want to commit to now. Plus my money circumstances have changed so can't afford as much so krav is now my main thing and on off days I'll work fitness and bag work.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice, glad you're liking it. Do you know what type of ground curriculum they use? The IKMA near me, which is based on the Gidon System, uses a mixture of things, but as recently pointed out, the combat JJ seems really strange.

I like the aggressiveness and well rounded nature of KM. I still think that if you're not dedicating yourself to one art in particular or doing MMA, it's the best option.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So just finished my first Krav Maga grading, it was brutal 5 hours of hard work. The pad work lasted over an hour and the only break we got was holding pads for our partner (which is even more painful on the arms) but I passed. Not sure on what grade or percent but a pass is a pass so I'm happy.

Very much loving Krav Maga and now decided that's what I'm going to dedicate myself to. I'm going to stop bjj and Muay Thai. Nothing against them but this is what I want to commit to now. Plus my money circumstances have changed so can't afford as much so krav is now my main thing and on off days I'll work fitness and bag work.

Congrats sir and keep going

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice, glad you're liking it. Do you know what type of ground curriculum they use? The IKMA near me, which is based on the Gidon System, uses a mixture of things, but as recently pointed out, the combat JJ seems really strange.

I like the aggressiveness and well rounded nature of KM. I still think that if you're not dedicating yourself to one art in particular or doing MMA, it's the best option.
No idea tbh. It's all just Krav Maga as far as I know I see bjj elements in it but it's not a separate system

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All the best in this, bro, go rock that Krav.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thing that helps is the instructor is very real about what it is. He's always said a Krav Maga guy will never win a boxing match or an Mma match or a jiu jitsu competition. He's also real about how some instructors are fakes and he makes sure everyone does realistic attacks for the techniques and of course we can punch each other in the face but makes sure we mark the punches (throwing them at the target but just stopping short so you're not punching a mile away from the target. He also does sparring class once a week. Which I haven't done yet because it's straight after regular class so it'd be 3 hours non stop training but since I'm out of work right now I'm going to do it as well

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m really glad it’s working out so well for you. It’s all about who’s teaching, how it’s being taught, and who you’ll train alongside.

Krav won’t win many boxing matches, but neither will anything other than boxing.

Krav won’t win many BJJ matches, but neither will anything other than BJJ.

I could keep going, but I’m confident everyone sees the pattern. As long as you enjoy what you’re doing, that’s all that matters. And if you’re training the right way, which seems to be the case here, it’ll be effective enough to use it if you ever need it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m really glad it’s working out so well for you. It’s all about who’s teaching, how it’s being taught, and who you’ll train alongside.

Krav won’t win many boxing matches, but neither will anything other than boxing.

Krav won’t win many BJJ matches, but neither will anything other than BJJ.

I could keep going, but I’m confident everyone sees the pattern. As long as you enjoy what you’re doing, that’s all that matters. And if you’re training the right way, which seems to be the case here, it’ll be effective enough to use it if you ever need it.
Exactly and frankly if it's not effective I've done enough over the years to be able to handle myself anyway. Plus the fact I'm still training kickboxing and kenpo by myself. This is simply more of a social thing. Plus it's the best and cheapest deal I've got. £40 a month for 5 classes a week which is probably turning into 6 soon with a new advanced class now the first grading is done

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All due respect to your instructor, but people don't only practice Bjj to win competitions.

I'm always wary of instructors telling their students to not worry about this or that because they're sports. People practicing those sports (and who also happen to have a bad attitude) can take your head off.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
All due respect to your instructor, but people don't only practice Bjj to win competitions.

I'm always wary of instructors telling their students to not worry about this or that because they're sports. People practicing those sports (and who also happen to have a bad attitude) can take your head off.
Oh god you again trying to start another dumb argument about how great bjj or Mma is. Not interested thank you

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh god you again trying to start another dumb argument about how great bjj or Mma is. Not interested thank you

Merely pointing out the difference in general philosophy. In Bjj we don't say that we're not going to win wrestling matches or boxing matches, but we still prepare ourselves in case we have to fight a boxer or a wrestler. I'm sure you're aware of that since you've trained in the system yourself.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well done mate, sounds a brutal grading! Congratulations!

Really awesome to hear, and sounds like it's something you're just really clicking with. Keep training and stoking that fire!

Was gonna ask if you're still training any kenpo stuff but you said earlier you were doing solo stuff, nice. Yeah there comes a point sometimes where we may choose to leave something behind (or keep it as less of a focus) and really dedicate ourselves to what we're undeniably drawn to.

Keep it up [emoji109]

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Patch and passport

image.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Merely pointing out the difference in general philosophy. In Bjj we don't say that we're not going to win wrestling matches or boxing matches, but we still prepare ourselves in case we have to fight a boxer or a wrestler. I'm sure you're aware of that since you've trained in the system yourself.

What you've managed to point out is that you've utterly misunderstood the philosophy.

If you with your BJJ think you can step into a boxing ring and win a boxing match you are seriously deluded.

Ditto wrestling, or almost any other art.

This is because you'll either lose dismally or be disqualified within seconds for using illegal moves.

I couldn't ever expect to enter a BJJ competition and win it using TKD, because almost everything I would do is outlawed in those competitions.

Doesn't mean it's not effective outside that ruleset though.

I take the same from what @Headhunter said. His training isn't in any way prepping him to compete as a boxer, or a wrestler. Doesn't mean what he's learning won't work against them - it means he'd be kicked out of the competition.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That means nothing! :bag:

Congrats mate, well done.
Agreed it doesn't mean anything. All it means to me is I get to go to the advanced class that's starting next month lol

Reactions: pdg
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you've managed to point out is that you've utterly misunderstood the philosophy.

If you with your BJJ think you can step into a boxing ring and win a boxing match you are seriously deluded.

Ditto wrestling, or almost any other art.

This is because you'll either lose dismally or be disqualified within seconds for using illegal moves.

I couldn't ever expect to enter a BJJ competition and win it using TKD, because almost everything I would do is outlawed in those competitions.

Doesn't mean it's not effective outside that ruleset though.

I take the same from what @Headhunter said. His training isn't in any way prepping him to compete as a boxer, or a wrestler. Doesn't mean what he's learning won't work against them - it means he'd be kicked out of the competition.
Yep pretty much but I just ignored it because I'm not turning a thread about my grading into one of these silly arguments that Hanzou seems to love

Reactions: pdg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed it doesn't mean anything. All it means to me is I get to go to the advanced class that's starting next month lol

Do you know how the advanced class differs?

From the little I know of KM (much of which is probably incorrect anyway) I would've thought an advanced class was kind of counter-intuitive.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you know how the advanced class differs?

From the little I know of KM (much of which is probably incorrect anyway) I would've thought an advanced class was kind of counter-intuitive.
More advanced as in dealing with different types of attacks like roundhouse kicks or dealing with multiple attackers which can be taught early but your best off getting the basics down first. Also stuff like gun attacks and knife disarms. Early level has defences for knife attack but no disarms the early knife work is get distance on them then get out of there. More advanced will be disarming techniques I assume

Latest Discussions