I don't get it...

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Friends help friends, right?

Many years ago, I started my Martial Arts journey at one school. Things started getting weird, I met another teacher and haven't looked back. Before I left, I gave them an opportunity to redeem themselves.

One of the teachers opened a school, in town, I didn't interfere. It recently closed and I took advantage of the opportunity. I reached out to a number of the students, some I knew; others not. I relayed my story and told them that basically they aren't being taught properly.

Not a single one, even out of curiosity; has allowed me to demonstrate. The mantra "you don't know, what you don't know" rings true, I don't know; I don't get it.

I walked away from the situation, but every now and then; I think about it.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Many years ago, I started my Martial Arts journey at one school. Things started getting weird, I met another teacher and haven't looked back. Before I left, I gave them an opportunity to redeem themselves.

One of the teachers opened a school, in town, I didn't interfere. It recently closed and I took advantage of the opportunity. I reached out to a number of the students, some I knew; others not. I relayed my story and told them that basically they aren't being taught properly.

Not a single one, even out of curiosity; has allowed me to demonstrate. The mantra "you don't know, what you don't know" rings true, I don't know; I don't get it.

Kinda lost as to what your meaning ?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This post is way too vague for anyone to give feedback. From what I'm getting, you left your original school, going to a new one. One of your old teachers opened a school, and when it closed down you messaged all his students offering to teach them? And now you're upset that none of them wanted to learn from you?

Is there any sort of feedback that you're looking for here, or are you just venting? Just want to make sure I understand everything before replying.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well why should they listen to you....you're just one of hundreds who quit the school for whatever reason....if someone who quit a place I trained and then came and told me everything being taught I'd ignore them to. You seem to have a bit of an ego. Why would they care if you gave them a chance to redeem themselves. Again to them you're just a large statistic who quit the club

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This post is way too vague for anyone to give feedback. From what I'm getting, you left your original school, going to a new one. One of your old teachers opened a school, and when it closed down you messaged all his students offering to teach them? And now you're upset that none of them wanted to learn from you?

Is there any sort of feedback that you're looking for here, or are you just venting? Just want to make sure I understand everything before replying.
Yeah that's the impression I got from it.....sounds like it may not have been that teacher causing problems if you get what I'm saying

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you may have gone wrong when you told them “they aren’t being taught properly.”

If I spent any significant time at a school that I really enjoyed that closed, for whatever reasons, and some random guy who claims to have gone there tells me that my previous teachers didn’t teach me right, I’d ignore him. Actually, I’d probably laugh at him. Too many people thinking their way is the right way and everyone else’s is wrong.

As a prospective student, you’d have lost me right away. If I was looking for a new place and you just told me that what you’re doing is similar, I’d check out your school. Bashing anyone doesn’t make you look better. Even if you’re completely right. It just tells me you’re a doucher.

I’m not saying you’re a doucher. I’ve never met you. But that’s the impression you’d give me if you wanted to demonstrate why you’re better. Just demonstrate what you do and leave everyone else out of it. If they ask why you left, tell them it was a difference in philosophy, not that they sucked.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am a little confused on what exactly you are trying to convey. From what I understand, if someone doesn't listen to you, whether you are right or wrong, shouldn't be of your concern. If they listen, then good for you, if they don't then it is a loss for them.

Altogether, this just kind of sounds like there was an "I told you so" moment during your training that kind of makes you appear like you are proclaiming yourself to be better than the students who trained under that teacher, who may have been teaching in a way that the students prefered.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The problem could be you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately (for me) I kind of know what Wanderingstudent is talking about. But I don’t think he’s expressing himself as clearly as he could.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately (for me) I kind of know what Wanderingstudent is talking about. But I don’t think he’s expressing himself as clearly as he could.
Yup
Had a similar situation to what i think he had, and could see people misunderstanding it if i didnt explain it well. Thats why i asked the clarification ones

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is true.

And yet, he could be the one who has it all wrong.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Sweep the leg, Johnny.

OP
W

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kinda hard to clearify without giving a physical demonstration. I was more venting than anything. But, thanks for the comments; they made me feel better.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kinda hard to clearify without giving a physical demonstration. I was more venting than anything. But, thanks for the comments; they made me feel better.

If you want imo to gain any respect then don't be going saying to folks "oh he taught it all wrong " but "I teach it right" that does not give off the right impression from the get go. Better to just let actions speak.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup
Had a similar situation to what i think he had, and could see people misunderstanding it if i didnt explain it well. Thats why i asked the clarification ones
I’ll bet he’s a good guy who’s just passionate about what he does and wants people to see what he thinks is the right way. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But perception is everything when you don’t know the person you’re being approached by. An innocent “I used to train there, but after I moved on I realized how wrong they had it compared to everyone else who’s doing it” can easily be perceived as “your former teacher sucked and everything you learned was wrong; I’ll show you how it’s supposed to be done.”

Leaving others out of the conversation, unless specifically asked, eliminates that uncertainty. When asked about others, even if they really sucked and were terrible, swallow your pride and give them something along the lines of “while I respect what they did, I don’t agree with it.” Breaking someone else down doesn’t build you up by default.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah people dont listen.
on the forum here, we are all constantly telling each other how the other person is wrong and doesn't get it.
i know i keep telling everyone how wrong they are but do the listen......nnnnoooooooooo.:arghh:
:D

OP
W

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Having trained with a small number of those folks, I consider them friends. Again, who wouldn't help their friends.

What bothers me most, is not actually being given the opportunity to physically demonstrate. There was zero interest.

For me, if I met any of you, I would at least humor you; and let you demonstrate.

I appreciate the candidnace, from this group; strangers tell you like it is.

Later...