New Krav Maga club

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a new Krav Maga club opening in my area. It's the first time ever there's been one near me and I'm definitely considering giving it a go. I know the guy who runs it. He's a good guy. Very nice guy, very humble. He's a fully qualified instructor and is also a blue belt in bjj who i regularly roll with and one of my favourite training partners and has had 3 Muay Thai fights and trained with a lot of one FC fighters in Beijing where he used to live.

I know Krav Maga is one of those either it's great teaching or terrible, there's no contract or anything so I may as well give it a go

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the kind of person who'd be realistic about KM. Like any RBSD (or other SD-related, for that matter) style, KM can be prone to getting a little too cool and confident. An instructor with that experience is more likely to be realistic in his approach to the techniques - a very good thing.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the kind of person who'd be realistic about KM. Like any RBSD (or other SD-related, for that matter) style, KM can be prone to getting a little too cool and confident. An instructor with that experience is more likely to be realistic in his approach to the techniques - a very good thing.
Yeah but as I've said before I don't care about fighting its just about learning and enjoying so as long as its fun to me ill do it but well don't know if ill do it full time anyway as I have loads of other stuff during the week but that's what I'm up for now maybe not full time training any new stuff but at the very least seeing what else is out there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but as I've said before I don't care about fighting its just about learning and enjoying so as long as its fun to me ill do it but well don't know if ill do it full time anyway as I have loads of other stuff during the week but that's what I'm up for now maybe not full time training any new stuff but at the very least seeing what else is out there.
Even when you don't care about fighting, some of the times when techniques clearly won't work can get annoying. When I'm in that mode, I'm okay if a technique is unlikely to be useful, but I want to actually be able to do it (rather than having my partner give up as if I did it).

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well this is the confirmation email I got today about it.

Start of email

Thank you for completing the website form.

Our first class will start Friday 2nd February 6:30pm. Class is 1.5hrs in total. If you can’t make this class, please let me know.

At Krav Maga the first class is always considered a trial class to see if the student & the club are right for each other

Just a few things I need to raise with you….

Background

Your martial arts background will come in handy for sure. The concepts of self-defence are quite different to martial arts or combat sports. We’re often dealing with multiple attackers, no rules or refs and weapons. Anyway, you’re going to love it I am sure. If you have a groin guard and mouth guard please bring along (if not no worries).

General Points about Training at Krav Maga

Different people have different reasons for training Krav Maga, and here at KMG, students come from different backgrounds, experiences, and fitness levels.

We believe that any person should be able to do self-defense according to his or her physical ability, size, and strength levels. As such, we make our training as accessible, understandable, and as meaningful as possible from the start.

Please treat your fellow students, Instructors, and Staff with respect, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, political beliefs, and socio-economic status.

What to Expect in Training with Krav Maga

A regular lesson consists of preparation (warm-up, stretching, strength exercises, etc.), technique training, and stress drills. We maintain a safe and supportive atmosphere, where everyone is given an opportunity to learn. Students are expected to arrive on time (a few mins earlier is best).

In class, regardless of each student’s level of experience, we expect everyone to train with everyone else, and to help each other by being good training partners. Everyone was once a beginner, so students that have experience in martial arts/ combat sports and are maybe more familiar with some concepts are expected to understand this. We want students to have fun and enjoy the training and the community, but also take the classes seriously, work hard, and be good training partners to other students.

What to Bring

Please wear clothing appropriate for a decent work out; training shoes, clothing with no zips or metal/ sharp objects. No skin-tight running trousers for men (wear shorts over the top if you like) and no low-cut aerobics type top for women (they are not always suitable for krav training). Please bring a water bottle/ hydration. Hand towels are always good too.

Club shirts for training are being made up now and will be available soon.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me back. Cheers!
Krav Maga
End of email

Seems good enough so far as I said I know the guys decent and not a guy trying to con anyone as you had to book a place on the trial as at first he only wants people he knows are serious about it while he gets himself set up

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Headhunter so if I'm understanding you correctly, it's a KMG school? Affiliated to Eyal Yanilov?

It's not bad, it's actually pretty decent Krav if you tell me.

Just try it and see if it's for you.

This would kill it for me :D
Maybe I'm not sure I'm just going to turn and see. More than likely I won't train it full time simply as I already do loads but That's what I like to do now just look around at everything else out there

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool I've always wanted a try at Krav Maga myself but no where remotely near me. Ah well