Kosutemi Seieikan - Intro, General Info and Basics

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, class is taking a good turn. Sensei is beginning to train a little tougher, even on the kids. Discipline is now required, not requested. Pushup sessions for misbehaviour are starting to occur with more frequency.

I think this is good. I mean, it's ok for the kids to have fun; but, basic dojo discipline needs to be laid out clearly.

Focusing more on me, Sensei spends a little more time instructing me at my level of comprehension each class and I am much appreciative. Things like what an opponents stance will tell me, how they hold their hands, etc. I'm beginning speed drills at home, changing up combinations of blocks and strikes. I'm going to construct a primitive marakawa this week and begin beating the daylights out of it, too.

Hey, I just noticed: I'm a glorious beacon of light, now. Whooda thunkit?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe for variety's sake you would want to work in some of the improvised training drills I mentioned in an earlier post here. The basketball drill is actually kind of fun as well as useful in several ways. My post is partway down the page, right after one of yours (so I'm sure you've read it).

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
navarre said:
I never had a speed bag. I had a basketball. I stood a few feet away from a solid wall and popped the basketball into the wall with a "three-inch" punch, then repeated the action with the opposite hand as the basketball recoiled to me. I would see how many repeat hits I could get in a row. Good for timing, force control, and knuckle conditioning.

I have mentioned elsewhere about lighting a candle and throwing reverse punches or backfists at it. The goal is to suck the flame out *toward* you instead of pushing it away. The same drill can be done with a styrofoam cup sitting upside down near the edge of a table. This works on speed of recoil and economy of motion.
Well, I'm skipping the railway suggestion right off the bat; but, the b-ball one will help certainly. I can do that in my driveway.

Any speed drill, such as the candle one, cannot but help to increase performance.

Domo

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As you progress, you will find the railway suggestion a fitting test. At higher levels you will be able to move so quickly, running backwards along a single rail of the track, that the oncoming train will never touch you.

You should be able to moderate your running speed so that you can keep pace just ahead of the train, touching it with one hand at all times without it hitting you.

When true mastery comes, you will realize there is no train. The train shall pass harmlessly through you because your mind will recognize that it was only real in your mind.

... My advice would be to start with the basketball drill first.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
...there is no train...My advice would be to start with the basketball drill first.
Wait...is there a basketball?

Domo

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man, I can hardly get any practice time in this week. Our church band (of which I am trombonist ichi) is goin' on da road Friday and the setlist is tricky. I missed class last night; but, I'm going tonight. Too much...it's like trombonekan or Ko Sutembone or something. Overload!

Kosokun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
Ho-hum. Students don't award their instructors ninth dan. It is a BS organization. RUN to another dojo.
Hi Gene,

Don Madden's Legit. When I was competing on the USA Karate Team, he was our Coach. He produced several members of the team over the years and has built a large organization that provides support to "orphans" from traditional karate. He's now involved with the IJJF and USA Jujitsu and has produced several top flight Jujitsu competitors. Both, his involvement with Karate and with Jujitsu has been with the International Governing Bodies under the International Olympic Committee.

On top of that, he's a good guy, Gene. You'd really enjoy hanging out with him.

Rob

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, Kosokun.

I've been with this school for a month and a half now and my personal feeling is that it is not a beltmill or McDojo. Information on the web is scattered and sketchy, at best, for Seieikan. I enjoy hearing from someone with real experience.

Thank you again.

:asian:

Flashing Dagger

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I live here in Chillicothe, Ohio and Mr. Madden's dojo is just around the corner from my house. I have studied the art of kenpo for several years and while I have never been a student of Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan I have heard his name thrown around for all of my life it seems.

I think Don Madden is legit and his daughter is a well respected sport JuiJitsu champion. I am friends with several of his students and I have no beef with them. However, Mr. Madden's art seems to focus very much on competition sparring. Coming from a purely self-defense point of view, as kenpo does, it seems silly when one of Madden's students tells me that the backfist should "go the side of the head where the judge will be standing". I would hope that they are learning more than just dancing around throwing jabs at each other.

However I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Competition point sparring is a difficult skill to learn, one that you can really delve into and be proud of your accomplishments. But I've always been a little turned off by all of the plaques, trophies and patches at the Ko Sutemi dojo. It makes people think that the fish is bigger than it really is.

By the way, Soke Don Madden holds a 9th degree in his own art.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, Dagger. Ko Sutemi is rather focused on competitions. Still, I have built my martial arts foundation on this system and have found it very well-rounded.

Of course, back in the day (1984 to be exact) my particular sensei and dojo had already become more focused on practical application than tournament wins.

As I have explored other systems I have found that almost everything I learned in Ko Sutemi has been applicable and of value. That which wasn't as valuable has been reduced or removed in my integrated system.

Thus I can't really call it Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan but many of the techniques would be recognizable as originating from there.

It's interesting that you live so close to Mr. Madden. Hopefully he and Heather are doing well. I haven't seen them in years.

Flashing Dagger

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually I live on Paint Street in downtown Chillicothe, perhaps a few blocks from the 2nd Street Dojo across from the Majestic theater. I graduated from high school in 1991 and at that time everyone was talking about Tokey Hill, Tokey Hill, Tokey Hill..... I've met both Heather and Mr. Madden a few times although I doubt if they would remember me.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flashing Dagger said:
Hello, I live here in Chillicothe, Ohio and Mr. Madden's dojo is just around the corner from my house. I have studied the art of kenpo for several years and while I have never been a student of Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan I have heard his name thrown around for all of my life it seems.

I think Don Madden is legit and his daughter is a well respected sport JuiJitsu champion. I am friends with several of his students and I have no beef with them. However, Mr. Madden's art seems to focus very much on competition sparring. Coming from a purely self-defense point of view, as kenpo does, it seems silly when one of Madden's students tells me that the backfist should "go the side of the head where the judge will be standing". I would hope that they are learning more than just dancing around throwing jabs at each other.

However I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. Competition point sparring is a difficult skill to learn, one that you can really delve into and be proud of your accomplishments. But I've always been a little turned off by all of the plaques, trophies and patches at the Ko Sutemi dojo. It makes people think that the fish is bigger than it really is.

By the way, Soke Don Madden holds a 9th degree in his own art.

Thank you for this insight. My initial apprehension has, over the months, been calmed and, indeed, vanquished. I have little doubt of Mr. Madden's legitimacy and have come to accept the emphasis on competition without rancor or worry.

In fact, the idea of rigorous competition appeals to me, somewhat. If that were all Danny was teaching me, I would likely run off because I need a bit more depth. I'm also being taught a measure of self-defence and Jujitsu is on the horizon, as well.

As to current classes, we had some returning adults last night and I had 3 additional people in my weight class to spar with. That's a good thing for me. I left last night with a stoved finger and a well-bruised shin. I felt like I did some serious sparring for a change.

And I hear quite a bit about Tokey Hill, too :) Sensei is a treasure trove of anecdotes :) I hope to meet Mr. Madden soon.

:asian:

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I met Tokey Hill a long time ago (seems like maybe 1985 or '86). He was friends with my sensei. I was so new back then I didn't even realize what he had accomplished.

He was the guy who taught me the blitz attack. It has since become a vital part of my attack arsenal. ... It also allows me to get the drop on my ju-jitsu classmates before they can grapple and plant me. heh heh

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sensei sez we'll have an opportunity to meet Tokey here in a couple weeks. Road trip to Mt. Vernon (I think) to train at a dojo there and he should be there.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flashing Dagger said:
Hello, I live here in Chillicothe, Ohio and Mr. Madden's dojo is just around the corner from my house. I have studied the art of kenpo for several years...
Flashing Dagger, do you study with Greg Daniels?
Sorry to stray off-topic folks (Yeah, right, Randy. Like this is the first time).

Flashing Dagger

White Belt
Reaction score
No, I don't study with Greg Daniels, but I know him. I drive to Columbus for Kenpo now but My previous instructor got his 1st black from Greg. Are you with Greg Daniels?

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I studied with Jay T. Will, so I can sympathize with your drive to Columbus for lessons :) .

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre, here's a question. Did you train Seieikan in W VA? I met a Sensei from Parkersburg, Paul Snider and was wondering if you may've known (know) him.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Egg, I trained in WV. I am originally from Calhoun County. It's near the center of the state. If you ever want to visit there, drive to the edge of the world and hang a left. The population dropped by 50% the day I left.

My sensei is Don Underwood. He used to be a social studies teacher at the high school. I met him there in school but started Seiei Kan under him.

His instructor was Mr. Madden. I first met Mr. Madden in 1984 in Parkersburg. He tested me for the kata portion of my yellow belt test. At that time I was so new to everything I didn't even realize how important he was.

I don't know Paul Snider, sorry. However, I believe Don is living in Vienna or Parkersburg now.

I very much regret that he and I have lost touch over the last 5 or 6 years. It's a complicated chain of events that still doesn't excuse the fact that I'm not in touch with the man who's like a father to me.

There are several Seiei Kan schools in the area and I still have a lot of connections if I needed to dig someone up. Let me know if there's any info or help you need.

Latest Discussions