Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan

Status
Not open for further replies.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, if anyone has any question of the legitimacy of Soke Maddens ranks. He was cerifited 8th dan by, the World Karate federation,(which he was at one time on the technical congress) , USA Karate Federation(Which he was the head of the USA team coaching staff., Pan American Union of karatedo Organizations. He also has a masters ranking in Shoalin Kung fu. He is well know in the Traditional karate circles. personal friends and professional martial arts associates include, George Anderson(President of the USA Karate Federation), Kiyoshi Yamazaki(Japan Karate do Ryobukai), Teriyuki Mikami( International Shotokan Karate federation), Hidey Ochiai( Wasshin ryu),Ridgley Able (Shuri ryu),Katsumi Niikura (Ryokukai international). All of which are well respected masters in their own right. He spent several years studying in Japan. As far as his student promoting him. It was more of a recognition of rank rather than a promotion. He is well known in the martial arts and karate do community for his contributions to the arts in over 60 years of study and practice. :asian:

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
More information for all interested.
Ko sutemi seiei kan uses the Pinan 1-5 kata, names instead of the Heian names because the style the Seiei kan comes from Koei kan used the Pinan names. We have members from many different styles of karate, including Shorin ryu, Shoto kan, Goju ryu, Uechi ryu, Isshin ryu, Taekwondo as well as many eclectic systems. Soke Madden has incouraged us to learn from all styles of martial arts. That way we can be more well rounded as martial artists as welll as being leaders in the martial arts community. The involvement of so many styles in the organization also gives us a hugh catalog of kata and training methods to choose from.
Soke Maddens daughter Shihan Heather Madden teaches Jujitsu and Aikido at his dojo, as welll as karate classes when Soke is not there.
Some other great master instructors in our organization are:
George Annarino 9th dan, Lynn Summers 9th dan, Brent Bias 8th dan, Paul Snider 6th dan, Traylon Smith 7th dan. Jim Grubb(not sure about his rank), Jim Cottrell 7th dan, Larry Zahand 7th dan, Chris Nicholas 7th dan. There are several more,but many names I cannot remember.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I went back for my first class after a 7 week break while I cleaned my wife out of my system.

I am sore, bruised, achey and have been pummeled by those older and younger than me.

It
Feels
Great
!

ryudo634

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a white belt under Don Madden. Did anyone attend the tournament at Westland High School on the 13th? I fought in the 17 to 34 white through blue belt division.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello there, I am a black belt under Soke Don Madden. I have not been down to the dojo in some time. I did not have a chance to go to the tournament. Had a training injury. It is good to hear from students at Soke's dojo in Chillicothe.

kody45601

White Belt
Reaction score
i am also a white belt under soke madden, i enjoy training with him very much.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, all you students of Soke Madden, how are your classes? What sort of format do you use? I train under Danny Phillips in Thornville. Typically, we'll do 25 minutes of basics/kata, break and then 25 minutes of sparring. Now and then, we tend to some sd techniques geared towards women and children. Lately, we've done some line drills, too.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for me, I began learning Pinan Nidan tonight. I test for blue end of july. I have Pinan Shodan down; but, it's still a bit shakey and unrefined. Class has been good, lately. Danny's opening a new location now that he's retired; so, I'm looking forward to an extra day of class per week.

ryudo634

White Belt
Reaction score
Really, we just work on what Soke Madden decides we should work on that day. We have class twice a week, and it usually runs a little over an hour. Recently we've been working on sparring techniques alot. When we work on kata, it's more of an individual thing. If you don't know a kata, someone that does know it will help you out. If you do, you just practice it on your own, till whoever is leading the class decides to work on sparring/techniques.

ryudo634

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone going to the interclub tournament on July 8th in Logan? I'll be there. Hope to see some of you guys there.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I plan on going to the interclub tournament. We used to have them all of the time back in the mid 80's. And as for Soke Madden's dojo classes yes is it pretty much like that all of the time. From time to time we used to have guest instructors come in and teach special classes. Soke Madden travels a lot and was in and out when I was training there. I miss the days when we trained in the old dojo in the front. It had the hard wood floors and it was small,but we had many champions come out of that old dojo.
When I teach I like to change things up quite a bit. When we have kata I focus on working on correcting the students kata and working on the kata in depth. That is something that Soke Madden rarely did. But, he has always been more of a fighting coach.
I also work on self defense techniques a lot. We do kumite in class,but different types of kumite. free sparring,yakosuko kumite(from my Okinawan Shorin ryu days), and full contact with chest protectors(For advanced student only). We spend the first half hour on basics and drills.

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
Well Egg,
You seem to be a little defensive about the kata thing, .. blah blah blah

Which is basically what I got from your post.

Soke Madden is a good guy. But that's not important here. What IS important is that SeieiKan is as real a style as any of the others out there. And Soke Madden is as real a Sensei AND Soke as any of the others out there. Your slick attitude about something you have never experienced speaks volumes about you. Your lack of respect for another's style demonstrates your unworthiness as a Karateka.

So this is my first post in this forum. I trust with the vitriolic nature of the post I am replying to, my post is well within the rules of the TOS of this board, and I will not be punished for such a reply.

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
Kosokun said:
If you've followed the history of how organizations form and break up, you'll find that it *is* the tradition.

Kidding aside, Gene's the real deal guys. He's been around the corner a bunch and like me, more times than not, the guys we've seen popping up as soke here in the states over the years are, well charlatans. Gene's a valuable resource for this board, and when you get to know him, he's got a great sense of humor. He plays a little rough, sometimes, but like the tough fighter in the dojo, you can learn a lot from him and improve because he pushes you.

Rob

Sorry, I don't see where I can learn anything from someone who can so ignorantly attack a style and its leader, when he knows nothing about it. I am not in the market to learn how to be an egomaniac, so I will skip the tutelage from Gene.

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
Kosokun said:
Just in case there may have been any misunderstandings, Mr. Madden is a friend of mine. He is indeed quite accomplished. I have a great deal of warmth and respect for him.

Rob

And you do him an injustice by allowing your "friend", Gene to slander him so. With friends like you...

But I have been with this organization for many many years, and I know the types of people who "claim" to be friends with Soke Madden. I also know the treachery and the duplicitousness that many of them are capable of. It is that same good heartedness that makes him a great guy, that allows the many who have betrayed him to have the opportunity to repeat that offense.

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I might be way wrong on this, being out of the official Seiei Kan loop for so long, but I believe Mr. Madden never had any jutsu in the art at all until it became popular via UFC and such. Then I started seeing it's incorporation into the art.

I believe it, like most of Seiei Kan, has been adapted from other systems. Again, I'm fine with this because Seiei Kan has always had an open philosophy towards finding techniques that work. The style was previously lacking in this area and it has changed that, so I say Good.

Forgive me if this has already been answered. I am wading through the posts here on my virgin voyage through this message board.

Soke Madden started his martial arts training with JuJitsu. That is his "mother syle", if you will. From there, he began to learn other styles of martial arts, and was one of the first in the area to bring "such a thing" to Ohio. For him to begin teaching JuJitsu, was, albeit chronologically reversed, a natural progression. He started teaching Karate and when the time was right, and people wanted something different, he brought in JuJitsu. Having privately trained a few over the years, he was easily able to gather together enough of them to spread it, like wildfire, through his already established organization.

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
The Chillicothe dojo has jujitsu classes on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, if I recall correctly.

As to when Don Madden started teaching jujitsu, I couldn't say. I do remember calling him in the fall of 1974 to ask about jujitsu classes, and he said that he didn't practice it, but did have classes in karate and judo.

Seieikan JuJitsu is taught on Tuesday evenings, immediately after the adult karate class.

Tuesdays 7:30PM until around 9:30PM

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Long time since I posted to this thread.

Classes are going well. I practice almost every day there's no class.

Here's a thing, though, and it concerns me: last night, Sensei said that, when we compete outside of Seieikan, we should remove our org patches because we will be judged detrimentally because of the style. Is this commen in MA, to be of a derided style or to be treated thus? It makes me go 'hmmmmm'.
Egg, I'm not going to go into the details of it here. But ask Sensei Philips if he knows the story of "The Rogue Patch" (aka "The Rebel Patch").

I apologize now for the size of the picture..

**MODERATOR NOTE: IMAGE REMOVED - PLEASE CONSULT TERMS OF SERVICE AND RULES REGARDING THE POSTING OF IMAGES - G KETCHMARK / SHESULSA, MT SUPERMODERATOR.**

This is the new patch. Some may or may not be familliar with the old patch. At one time, as the story goes, it struck fear into the hearts of every competitor that saw his opponent donning it.

I am currently unable to find an image of the "Rogue Patch", yet I am confident that there is one out there somewhere.

However, ask Sensei Philips and/or Sensei Anno about the story. I am sure at least one of them will be able to do it justice.

You will then have your answer as to why it is not wise to wear your patch to a tournament that is not within our organization.

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I've heard the same comment about competeing and also while doing seminars. To date I've never taken my patchs off any uniform. You don't like my patchs, tough nuggies

I agree with this mentality, Kai. Unfortunately, there are those that would judge certain competitors differently, based on the patches they wear. It isn't fair, but as you can see by the attitude of one of the posters here on this thread, it is a sad reality that when competing, your patch/identity can be a liability.

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Since this is your first big tournament I suggest you take some time to get a feel for who the "top dog" is amongst the black belts. Most likely he or she will be an older individual of high rank and good-natured demeanor.

Then, during a time when many of the general public are around, openly approach this person. Claim your ability to be far superior to his and make a few derogatory remarks about both his school and his mamma. Then challenge him to open combat in the middle of the tournament floor.

This is a great way to get your name known amongst many schools. I think you will find this event to be most...educational.

You're evil.. I like that in a person. ;)

TheHeathen

White Belt
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
Hello, I plan on going to the interclub tournament. We used to have them all of the time back in the mid 80's. And as for Soke Madden's dojo classes yes is it pretty much like that all of the time. From time to time we used to have guest instructors come in and teach special classes. Soke Madden travels a lot and was in and out when I was training there. I miss the days when we trained in the old dojo in the front. It had the hard wood floors and it was small,but we had many champions come out of that old dojo.
When I teach I like to change things up quite a bit. When we have kata I focus on working on correcting the students kata and working on the kata in depth. That is something that Soke Madden rarely did. But, he has always been more of a fighting coach.
I also work on self defense techniques a lot. We do kumite in class,but different types of kumite. free sparring,yakosuko kumite(from my Okinawan Shorin ryu days), and full contact with chest protectors(For advanced student only). We spend the first half hour on basics and drills.

Hey, Tim.. how goes it?

I miss the old Dojo also. A lot of memories and good times there.

The way classes are structured seems to work.. Soke has been doing this for HOW LONG? And has put out some of the best fighters and kataka in the world. You, Traylon, Butch, Jim and Jim, Joe.. too many to list here.

Incidently, I am not sure I will make it to the tournament in Logan. There's a lot going on lately.. trying to work up a benefit to get some money rolling in for those that want to go to Thailand. And a friend of mine and myself just opened our own school in Obetz. Things, as you can imagine are very busy. Figure into that those things that happen in life outside of karate, that tend to make one sit back and reflect.. and you have even less time than you started with.

I saw this mentioned earlier. In November.. actually late October, the team is traveling to Bangkok Thailand for the first ever Thailand Cup. It should be a lot of fun and a great experience for those who like to travel abroad and compete.

You can find information on it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions